PC gaming suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sokar, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been sort of out of the loop on pc gaming over the past little while, and while it seems like I can built the rigs to run the 'latest and greatest' stuff at the time, there hasn't been really much to draw me away from my consoles enough to invest serious time into my pc games.

I built a pc last year for university that was pretty much top of the line, but ended up leaving it behind because of space/weight issues (the bare case alone is something like 17 kg). Since I'm back and able to use it I want to get some more use out of it than just surfing tfw2005.com and checking email :mail 

So my question here is what are some pc games that you might recommend to someone that will impress the enough to drop their xbox controller for more than 20 minutes? It can be pretty much any genre, though I refuse to play world of warcraft or the other games that require you to purchase the game and then pay monthly just to play it. Good games or not, I can handle paying for multiplayer services, but to me that's like charging me for cable tv, then expecting me to pay a fee every time I watch a show. That's why I like guild wars. It might not be at the same overall level as WOW from what I've seen/heard, but to me it's more reasonable to buy since you can play it for free.

I know the pc has a lot of fps and rts games, but I'd imagine that there's got to be more than just crysis and supreme commander out there right? I realise that I could just look at places like ign and gamespot for reviews, but while that's helped me to decide to get world of goo and supreme commander to try out, I think the opinions here might be more helpful.

I suppose it might help to give my system specs as well, though I really won't have any troubles running anything I don't think. I built it to run crysis, but with 2gb ram I figured it wouldn't run too well, so I might have to check it now that I maxed out my ram

intel core 2 extreme quad core QX9650 running at 3.0 GHz
    ASUS maximus extreme SE MB
    8 GB DDR 3-1333
    ATI HD 3870X2 1GB GDDR3 (single board dual gpu)
    Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU

Again, any suggestions for games would be appreciated, no matter who made them

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
  3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Plants vs Zombies

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had to fix my laptop so I haven't had any time to play around with my desktop games :( 

I'm going to check out plants vs zombies now.

The monkey island game, is that like the old day of the tentacle game? from the preview video it sort of looked like it

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    A bit of a love it or hate it title, but I've been a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. It has it's share of bugs, but it's a cool shooter set in a cool environment. It'll also push your rig while still looking pretty good if you need to drop it down for framerate. You might also consider other big names that you may not have played on consoles like Bioshock, Red Faction Guerrilla, Fallout 3, or Dead Space. While excellent on consoles, they are going to look really nice on a PC with a good rig.

Racing, you might try Trackmania United Forever. It's a hybrid of arcade racing with a puzzle and stunt modes where you can build your own tracks. I like to load it up every once in a while and just have a few races.

I suppose it really depends on the genres you enjoy.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Asking advices like these can be a pretty ungrateful bussiness, since we don't know what it is that you really like. With that aside I can recommend these games:

Combat Arms - this is a great free online FPS with fun game modes, awesome maps and a HUGE selection of weapons to choose from. If you try it, try all the assault rifles available, because every one has it's "quirk" and you need to get used to it. The same goes for sniper rifles. Also, there is a noob server available so you can play without getting your ass handed to you about 20 times in the first 10 minutes (I made that mistake). There is also a fun co-op mode called Fireteam, where you and your team-mates have to complete certain objectives against enemy bots in an unknown Middle East town.

I have tried Crossfire and Soldier Front game which are the same category as CA, but for the sheer scope of the game CA is the best with the best production values, on par with the regular full price PC games. The graphics will certainly look outdated to some people. I don't know if graphics are a major turn on for you, if that is the case than you won't like this game very much. To me, the graphics are completely satisfactory and more than enough for an intense FPS where you won't have the time to just look around.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED with a disclaimer - IT'S DAMN ADDICTIVE

Official website: Combat Arms - Online FPS Action

Mount&Blade - this is a sandbox light RPG game with a certain degree of economy management and army management. It is set in a fictional medieval realm (no fantasy, magic and other regular RPG shtick, just bare metal, guts and glory), in which you as a mercenary/bounty hunter/merchant are trying to make your fortune. In the near future an add-on will be released than will incorporate multiplayer, diplomacy and some other things the community asked for. As for the story, there isn't one, aside from the one you make. It is completely up to you to how you will proceed in the game's world. You can help a rebel faction gain the throne, smuggle goods, be a slave trader, a tourney fighter, a lord of the realm, marshall of the armies of a certain kingdom. The game is intense and totaly unpredictable. You can go campaigning against a rival kingdom with your king for months, when you get borred, had back home to your estates to boost economy by conducting trade caravans and cleaning bandits, recruit peasants from your fiefs, go fight in the tournaments for cash and prestige...

You can download a trial version for free on TaleWorlds official site. Actually, trial version is the whole game, but you will play until your character reaches level 6. If you want to continue playing, you will have to buy a serial code.

This game is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

World in Conflict Complete Edition - an awesome real-time tactical strategy set in the Cold War era. Great graphics, awesome story and great gameplay. Just briliant. You can't go wrong with this game. Besides...Ruskies rule.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_in_conflict
    http://worldinconflict.uk.ubi.com/

Have you ever played MechWarrior games? I highly recommend Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries and AssaultTech: Battletech (a Mechwarrior 2 with new game engine).

These are the games that I can think of at the moment. I hope you find something interesting in my list.

EDIT: I read Sidewayz' post. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is a fine game. Get the latest patch it fixes all of the critical bugs, with some minor ones still left. For a better feeling while playing this game I suggest you download these mods: Zone Reclamation Project and PLR's Realistic Weapons mod

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plants vs zombies is pretty neat. I think I'll be spending more time with it (only on level 5 now I think), but it is a fun game. The bowling part was pretty cool, and the humor is a nice touch.

Thanks Sidewayz and Razorclaw for your suggestions too. It took some looking, but I dug out my mobo box and it actually came with stalker for free so I'll probably install that soon here. I'll check out some of those other suggestions as well. Mount&blade sounds really interesting, and the trailer for world in conflict looks kind of cool.

I think the last mechwarrior game I played was mech assault for the xbox and before that was mech warrior 2. I should be able to track down some mech warrior though.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and apologize for not really giving much of a genre base to go off of. Unfortunately being away from the pc scene for the most part for the past while, I've lost track of where the industry has gone. Back when I was more into pc games there was such a difference between console and pc games that you couldn't really match up what you liked on one format with the other I found. Now it looks like there are a lot of ports both ways, but I figured it would be best to see what other people are liking. Plus, my console game selection is pretty ranged, so really any games out there might be great to try. Fighting, rts, rpg, fps, sandbox action, etc. are all open, so I didn't want to try and suggest something specific when I could easily be missing something great that you guys have played. I'll pretty much try anything. So again I'm sorry if I was a bit too vague in my request for recommendations, but these definitely are helpful.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Glad to be of help.

Concerning Mechwarrior games, if Mech Assault is your last experience with the genre, playing the games I suggested will need some getting used to. They use way more controls and the "laws of physics" are more strict, meaning your mechs won't be as quick and agile as in Mech Assault (read - they won't act like you're playing a third person shooter, but like you're really driving a few tens of tonns of metal, especialy in Mechwarrior 3. Mechwarrior 4 is somewhere in between).

As for STALKER and those mods I mentioned, I forgot to write that you will also need to get a mod installer for them. You can install them manualy, but it can be a somewhat tedious work. What you need is Smart Mod Manager and you can find it here. Heed my advice - install the mods that I mentioned, they greatly improve the gameplay and solve some bug and AI issues. Install ZPR first and than PLR's weapon mod.

EDIT: If you haven't tried these before (I think they're available on consoles as well) try Dawn Of War and it's expansions. Absolutely awesome game, with very nice graphics and gameplay. Plus you can't go wrong with fanatic, xenophobe, fascist zealots stomping over opposition with wild abandon and no concern for themselves, apart from their Emperor and honour. Yeah, I know, a shameless Space Marine plug. I recommend trying Imperial Guard as well, I love their "grit and guts" approach.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oh god yes this! Damn simple fun and addictive to the point you want to unlock everything.