PC Game recommendations?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kuma Style, May 29, 2012.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now that the comp's on beast-mode, I'm ready to expand a bit. I love fighters on it, but I'd like to branch out a bit more since it's able to do a lot more.

So, pretty straightforward: What are some PC games that you'd recommend? It doesn't have to be anything high-end as much as fun.

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Fun factor i recommend Diablo 3 since its my latest addiction. I also recommend half-life series and bioshock for first person shooters. Starcraft 2 for strategy (it is awesome). If you want a nice sandbox role player with lots to explore Skyrim is a must. The gameplay for Skyrim is pretty bland but the world is easy to get lost in making up for the simple game play. Fallout 3 and new vegas are both pretty fun but due to how similar they are game play wise i would say one or the other.

That would be my major suggestions.

3. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Diablo 3 is great.

Borderlands can be picked up for way cheap, and it a lot of fun.

The Orange Box is a must have.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Download Steam, check everyday for there deals. Steam=Easymode for PC titles, and cheapist way to try.

Otherwise, yes, Diablo 3 is good, but not for everyone. Torchlight is a Diablo style game made for single player, and cheap. Dungeon Defenders is a great multiplayer game. Warhammer 40K, Dawn of War games are great for RTS people. Sanctum is a FPS, in a Tower Defense game. That jsut the short off my head.

5. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Savanna is right steam is great for deals. I got Duke Nukem forever for 5 bucks on steam. And i got 5 bucks worth of entertainment from it so it worked out great. Steam also will offer free trial weekends on games sometimes.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Get Steam if you don't have it already. Plenty of games on sale (and FREE) you might be interested in. Built in matchmaking and friendslist. Seriously, GET STEAM.

Rusty Hearts wasn't bad, sort of an old-school brawler meets mmorpg with goth-anime influences. Free to Play, so nothing to lose, I guess...

Portal and Portal 2 are easily the best value I've seen in the last couple of years, especially if you can get them on sale.

Other than that, I'd sort of need to know what you're into. Saints Row 3 maybe? Fallout 3 or it's various sequels? Crysis or Just Cause 2? Skyrim? Civilization 5? Minecraft? Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Oh, and you may want to look into the humble bundles and indiegalas. Sort of an indie games grab bag. There's an indiegala going on right now for the next week ro so.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  7. deadinthewater

deadinthewater I like it here

Sorry, I don't know much on PC besides shooters. The other types of games I generally play on my consoles, but here's my recommendations:
    TF2, Blacklight: Retribution, and Tribes: Ascend are fun shooters if you don't want to spend any money. Half-life's also pretty fun.
    If you're into games in the same vein as the newer Fallout games, check out the STALKER series. It's really scary at some points, but also very fun.

8. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Team Fortress 2.

9. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mech Warrior......(slinks back off to the 90s)

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean Mech Commander ;) 

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Anything made by valve is amazing and fun plus team fortress is free.
    Threre are some good indie games out there like amnesia. It a freaky game.

12. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    The old Battlefield games are still fun as hell and people still play also.

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Tribes Ascend is a fairly difficult but insanely rewarding fast-paced free-to-play FPS. Definitely worth checking out.

14. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as its not mech commander 1, I put it on my computer a couple months ago and its just to outdated for me lol.

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Portal, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for games I like to play: Love fighters, but right next to them are good arcade-style racing games.

I also like third person shooters (Gears/WFC), and adventure games (Uncharted). I used to be really into strategy games like Starcraft but phased out of them.

Definitely signing up with Steam over these next few days off.

17. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Did you like DOTA? There's a game (that's now free to play) called Super Monday Night Combat that is essentially a 3rd person shooter version of DOTA. You might like that.

Or some of the recent DOTA-clones like League of Legends.

Edit: title of game. I dont know why I made that mistake.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Oh, hey. I can definitely help with this. I gave up on consoles a few years ago and started routinely sinking that money into my computer instead. Never regretted it.

Here's some of my faves, all of which are on steam and most of which are cheap or routinely go on sale:

For indie stuff, you can't go wrong with Super Meat Boy, Braid (platformers) and Terraria (Sandbox)

If you like old 80s-style adventure games (like King's Quest) anything by Telltale games is a good bet. Standouts include "Back to the Future, "Tales of Monkey Island" and "Sam and Max." They have a Walking Dead game, but I haven't tried it yet. Back to the Future has Fox and Lloyd, too.. although Fox doesn't play Marty, he plays someone else. Lloyd does play Doc and the guy that does play Marty sounds dead-on 1985 Fox.

Other good adventure games: Ben There Dan That and Time Gentleman Please (TGP is a sequel to BTDT)

Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII are cool indie SNES-style jRPGs.

Borderlands is a really fun multiplayer FPS. I don't go for FPSes too much, but I dug that'n. Shoot Many Robots is basically the exact same game as a sidescrolling shoot em up (Same developer).

Sadly I don't know of any PC-only fighters. All the fighters I'm aware of are ports. Not that that's bad, but I can't offer you anything new here. It's the standards. SSFIV, SFXTekken.

Almost everything from X-Box and PS3 eventually winds up on PC. Every so often we get screwed (Fall of Cybertron, Red Dead Redemption), but the ones that do come out almost always look better and are cheaper (Portal 2 is an obvious example).

Definitely sign up for steam. They have insane 3-day sales TWICE every week, so even games you might be iffy on could wind up being 15 bucks or even less. I've bought a ton of games for $2.50-$5 when they're on sale. Why the hell not. Heck, Arkham City is $30 at regular price, I think.

That game's called Super Monday Night Combat.. and yes, it's pretty awesome. Forgot that one. Actually I played the first one (Monday Night Combat, no "Super") a bunch.

20. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

You shoudl really give the Dawn of War 2 games then. NO Base Builiding, jsut make squads and watch the carnage of Chainswords and Heavy Bolters split people in 2. And Dreadnaughts.