PC Disk Management Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Sep 21, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

okay. I needed to do a fresh format/reinstall of XP. So I went through the process of backing up all my important files and such on my secondary hard drives.

XP install goes great. No problems. Or so I thought.

I go to "My Computer", and only my C: drive and one of my secondary Hard Drives are showing. No problem I think. I check Device Manager. All my drives are showing properly. I go to Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management. Here's where we find the problem.

Disk 0 (My C: ) is fine. Basic Disk. Disk 1 is fine also. Basic Disk. These show up in "My Computer". But Disk 2, which, as luck would have it, has all the really important stuff I need. Disk Management is telling me it's "Foreign", and a "Dynamic" Disk.

I don't know how the hell I can do this, which is why I'm looking for help. I can convert it to Basic to have it working properly, but doing so will format and delete all those important files I need. Is there any way to either A) somehow transfer the files from that drive to either of my other drives, or B) get it working properly without losing all my data?

Using XP Home, SP2. All drives are NTFS.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depending on how comfortable you are with opening up your PC, Id recommend removing the drive and putting it in an external HD kit ($20 - $30) and seeing if it will be recognized via USB as a mass storage device. That way you avoid potentially screwing up the formatting of the drive. Then you can get all your important files pulled over and then try to get XP to recognize the drive internally.

3. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

If you were using XP Pro, you could right-click the disk and select "Import Foreign Disks," but you won't have that option because XP Home doesn't support dynamic disks. Go find an XP Pro machine, import the disk, back up your data, and reformat.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Thanks for the help folks. Update:

Ended up calling Microsoft Tech Support to see if there was anything else that could be done. That was a mistake. Why the fuck do these companies outsource to India? I had to ask the 5 people I spoke to to speak slow so I could understand them. None of them even knew what the hell I was talking about. Note to self, never bother with Microsofts shitty tech support again unless someone on the line speaks English. I have the same problem when I try to call my bank or credit card company :( 

Got my hard drive problem solved though. Couldn't afford to buy XP Pro, so from a friends suggestion, I used a Linux Ubuntu LiveCD to run the Ubuntu OS from my DVD-Rom. Was able to access the dynamic drive, and move everything off of it onto the other drives. Then I booted back into XP Home, converted the dynamic to basic, and everything's working fine now.

Yay!

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm with you on that. I'm Indian and I have a tough time dealing with those people. They usually just read off an algorithim chart and don't know much about the actual product that they're "supporting."