PBS Shout out.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lt. Faceless, May 7, 2011.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Am i one of the few people who still us bunnyears for TV? I have 5 channels and only three i care to watch.UNC TV,UNC kids,UNC EX..I love these channles.UNC TV for Antiques Roadshow(i'm a geek i know)Never to muc on there anyway.
    UNC kids-My kids love this,Sid the science kid,Eletric Company,Inbtween the Lions,Dionsaure Train.Really good for kids.
    UNC Ex for EVERTHING.This is hands down the best channel i've ever seen.To many great shows to list.The best part about all of this,Its Free and i enjoy the fact that me and my kids are decommercializied.I've never found myself saying "damn,theres nothing on."There is always something on.Its educational at all times.No redtape bullshit like *Cough*FOX.

Why don't i get cable? The cheapest thing is what $10-20? and i'm paying for what?TRU tv?If i chose that,i loose UNC EX and the trade off isn't worth it.My bunnyears pick up FOX if i have to have it.Just wanted to give a shout out to the Local PBS stations.Am i the last person without no form of cable?

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Might want to donate some money to them too or you'll soon be seeing them leave the air. PBS is financial trouble.

3. Lt. Faceless

I started doing that this year.Its aces above cable.

4. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree though I also enjoy science , discovery and history channels. Sadly got the digital here so I just catch my sci fi shows (fringe...uh yeah that's it haha) and survivor (yes I am an addict). Other then that I don't watch tv.

5. Lt. Faceless

I get fox too,if suvior comes on NBC or ABC i get those too.I enjoyed the same shows when i did have cable.With UNC EX,i get a mix of history,science,travel,cooking.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

PBS & the other local broadcast channels are life savers for parents.
    They're about the only ones that try to educate kids on anything.

Nick Jr & Spongebob are cool, but nothing compares to the Sesame Street.
    Can't do Disney anymore, they play that hot dog song too much, can't take anymore of it.
    la la la la , la la la la, Elmo's World.

7. Lt. Faceless

I wake up to Sid the science kid,then Heathcliff.

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'll watch Antiques Roadshow from time to time,but my favorite show on PBS is The Joy of Painting.That guy was an amazing painter.

9. Lt. Faceless

Bob Ross? the happy tree squairel guy.he was awsome.He would paint some of the coolest paingtings in 1 30min. eps.

10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Yup,that's him,Mr. Happy Trees.It just blows me away to see what he could do in less than 30 minutes.He made it look so effortless.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't speak to PBS, since I've never really watched it, but you're definitely not the only person without some form of cable. I've been watching the local channels on free over-the-air HD for a couple of years now and I don't see ever going to pay cable. The few shows I'd like to watch that I can't get on the over-the-air channels are easily available online and/or DVD, if I want to watch them, so there's nothing I miss.

12. Lt. Faceless

Whats it called in your area? Its UNC TV,UNC KIDS,UNC EX...PBS is just what its all called.Public Broadcast Service(i think)

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just checked and the three PBS channels I get over-the-air WQED1 (standard PBS), WQED2 (Create Channel) and WQED3 (Neighborhood Channel). Can't say I've ever watched any of them.

14. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I love the PBS channel. It has more historical documentaries than "History" right now.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i actually like most of what's offered on my local PBS station. especially the regional (Alabama Public Television) programming.

But i really think that PBS in general made a fatal flaw by not adapting when cable came onto the scene.

Discovery, History, TLC, even Bravo (in their earlier years) took the PBS model and perfected it for the private, profit driven sector.

PBS needs to do that. and they can pull it off without having to sacrifice anything.

I have a pair of rabbit ears in my home that i use to pick up HD channels that i would otherwise have to pay a huge markup for on cable.
    the thing is, these channels are doing quite well on their own, and PBS could do so as well.

i am all for seeing PBS survive.
    (i have a soft spot for any network that gave me Red Dwarf back in the day.)

16. Lt. Faceless

Its hard to say with the channel names of yours.If you happen to catch any names of the shows,Rare Visions and Roadside Revaleations is a good show.3 guys drive around america just looking at random art and things in peoples yards.

I agree.Also,no "you can't say that,you might offend someone" crap.if you don't like what they are saying change the channel.God in America is a really good series on right now.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

haha Mr. Happy Trees was a very mean drill sgt in the military. Kinda like R Lee Emery in Full metal Jacket. I believe he hated that and did paintings as a way to get away from being an angry man.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    But ... PBS doesn't have My Little Pony!

19. Lt. Faceless

I also don't have to worry about my kids wanting all of the crap that they see on TV.On PBS,no toy ads.For them,a new toy is when they go to walmart.If it ain't there,they don't know about it or care about it.So that is also a big plus on it.

Edit:Also can't forget it has "The Eyes of Nye",Bill nye is the coolest guy on TV.

20. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watch the local broadcasting channels for the Red Green show, and when they have special concerts, etc.