PayPal's Competition?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It look's like PayPal is going to have some competition soon. It's bloody time.
    PayBox.me

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
  3. Tigertrack

Yes, but they are just starting. I'm not saying PayPal has competition yet, but look's like they will soon. We'll see how it pans out.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    it seems like they maybe a scam though. People call in question its currency, which is very interesting.

5. Tigertrack

We'll see.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get why PayPal seems to have such a bad name. I've used it loads and never had a problem.

Still, good that they're going to get some competition - free market and all of that jazz.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    when you have a huge customer base, complaints are bound to happen, so I think its normal. I don't have any trouble with it either.

8. Tigertrack

Me neither, I like PayPal, I just don't like how ebay double-whammies you when you sell stuff on their web site. But that's the way they've been doing it for years.
    Lets see how PB progresses before we pass judgement. I've studied it a little bit and even joined. I don't see how it's a scam. You don't give out any personal information, just basic username and password, and you get $50 in your new account. The only thing is you can't use that $50 till they actually get rolling.
    This new pay-site is from Amazon as Amazon is competing with ebay and they don't want to use PayPal as their payment methods.
    Again, lets see how they progress before passing judgment.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Marcatron, here are some questions I have then:

Do they have your email? If they do, that's already taking personal information.

Second, according to my research it seems like the 50$ is not USD, but a "paybox currency". The interpretation of what 50$ is, is very unknown. Is it worth 50 Yen? 50 USD? 50 EUD? The problem I have with, is that the website paybox.me has very limited information. Yes, it shows their "progress" but it is very vague updates on progress. I understand this is a risk to take to get a "headstart", but I believe it would be difficult for it to be of use in terms of how versatile it needs to be to match Paypal. Right now, we can use PP for ebay, for proxy sites, and for a lot of online stores. For Paybox to be seriously catching up, they would have to aim for an international market, which in itself is a huge task. So I don't know what to think, yet.

10. Tigertrack

I agree with what you said 100%.
    Yes, e-mail address is given, but no other information that I can see is given. There is no link to funds of any kind yet. So feel safe there.
    Even PayPal was a risk when we first signed up for it wasn't it? Now we use it weekly.
    And yea, I don't understand the free $50 dollar thing yet either will have to wait till they officially open.

People will always be nervous and weary of new things.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Its true. I am a cautious individual, I mean, I prefer calculated risks, but you know, to each his/her own cup of tea~!

I believe its a good risk, but its still a little too risky for me, anyways. Email addy can actually give them money if they sell the said addy to ads companies though.

12. Tigertrack

Same can be said for PayPal.
    These days, it seems your out there even when you don't want to be.
    If nobody gave anybody a chance, people and companies couldn't grow.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess PB's biggest hurdle is to be a pay source for eBay. Considering eBay owns Paypal, the don't have to allow PB to be a funding source. Amazon doesn't allow Paypal so that is precedent for a large company not allowing a type of payment.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, the only reason I have Paypal is because back then, some stores only use that as an exclusive payment. So from my take, I will give them a chance when I "need" them.

Not trying to be disrespectful, btw. I respect and like the diversity of people's character. Some are to be risk-takers, and some are to be cautious. That's how people work well together, as there are advantages to both. Its just not my cup of tea until they specify more and more of what is going on.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BTW: I can't see there not being fees for using PB. The fees seem to be the main issue people have with Paypal. The fact is that credit card companies charge a fee for their services. Who do people expect to pay these fees? Realistically. Of course it will be the person getting the $$. Do people expect PB to eat the charge? That pretty much guarantees they'll go under. Stores can eat the charge since the charge is built into the product's price.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Competition? Google Checkout has been around for a few years now and hardly anyone uses it.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This thing will vanish before long.

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since ebay and paypal are one and the same and ebay implemented a new paypal only to cut out google adsense all I can say is this is a dead horse before it's born.

Until there is a new auction site that thousands gather to ebay has the stranglehold.

19. Tigertrack

I'll most likely stick with ebay and PayPal. I've used it for years, I'm familiar with it, have had very little trouble with it, and it works great.
    But it is just to early to tell how PB will work, function, and last.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You seem very optimistic & confident over this thing. Is there something else you want to tell us hmm mmmm?

Paypal has it's problems but it's already rooted into the whole system almost.
    Will be a long road to remove it but best of luck to them anyway. It'll be good to have options. If they become successful, then maybe Paypal will step it's competitive game up a little bit and ease up on the fees .