paypal has increased fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marshall dusty, Aug 9, 2009.

1. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey y'all saw this article originally on digg.com

Paypal adds new fees with no notice
    though this blog post sounds a little confusing and also sounds like the fees already being issues, the link below is a little more clearer.

and the article within the article
    PayPal Adds Fees, Sneakily - PC World

apparently this affect personal accounts only, used to be a free service.

just wanted to let you know about this for our junkion buyers/sellers.

mods if this is the wrong spot to put it in, please move it.

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really Transformers related so off to GD :) 

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    oh lovely , well good to know and pay pal did not announce because they know it would cause a massive sh*tstorm , well pay pal there is a storm a comming!

4. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Oh joy.. And I was planning on selling something rather expensive soon.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

Well thats just lovely of them. They probably have a disclaimer about not having to notify people of changes like this when they sign up, but still.

6. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    And that's why I gave the finger to ebay & PayPal. :)  This may be a most recent move, but it's hardly the first time.

7. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    Y'all should check out https://www.revolutionmoneyexchange.com/ as an alternative to PayPal.

It allows free transfers from account to account, and it's a real honest FDIC-insured bank. I've had an account for a long time, but no one else uses it.

Do some Googling, and you'll find that these guys are totally legit. Unfortunately, because it's a real FDIC bank, you need to give them a little more info about yourself to sign up, and I'm not sure if non-USA citizens can use it.

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't wait until all my stuff is sold so I don't hafta worry about selling anymore , I end up eating the fees now as it is.:banghead: 

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I noticed this about a month ago. I called paypal and asked why I was being charged? After a long debate and going to a supervisor I finally got the excuse that they were losing money because people were using a balance. I actually got this answer from someone who works for paypal!!! They actually admitted that no other reason than they wanted to make money. The truth a big shock!! In any case, since then I have been doing things as normal and just having people send the money as a gift. I do not like paypal but have to use their service. I already pay enough when I use ebay so I feel enough of my money is going to paypal. Think about all the fees you are charged when you post something on EvilBay. Somewhere between 15-20%. That can add up really quick. I do my best to conduct business on the boards for more than just the fees but if money is important to you then that is a good reason. Avoid ebay, trade / sell on the boards. Not to mention, I've had problems with buyers on EvilBay but NEVER on the boards. Also, you would hopefully be helping out other members. I know I'm getting off topic but yeah send money as a gift and keep the fee.

10. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Meh, I guess I'll charge a buck or two more so I won't lose my target profit.

11. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I have a revolution money account too and it works fine. the only problem is finding others who have it too. I received 100.00 as a free sign up bonus abour a year or so ago. I had to register a bank account and credit card with them at that time to get it. I recommend them.

12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

wait... does this mean i be losing a couple of bucks when i donate to TFW?

13. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

nothing personal cause I know you gotta eat too..

Bank adds fees to where previously were none.. Merchants increase price to compensate for extra fees.. Consumers money doesn't stretch as far so they buy less from the Merchants.. Merchants sell fewer items they have to pay fees on.. Bank adds more fees to make up for projected and undelivered revenue.. and the whole cycle repeats itself..

14. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, it seems that if the person chooses the "personal" tab and "gift" then fees aren't charged for personal accounts. Of course, the default is "purchase" and if left that way, a fee will be charged. Really lame anyhow as now I have to explain that to people when they send funds to that account.

15. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    The problem is that you are technically defrauding PayPal when you mark your purchases dishonestly. This means that PayPal can justify freezing your account because you are violating their terms of service. (As if PayPal needs more excuses to do that.)

If a deal goes bad, a buyer can totally bone you if he can forward an email to PayPal in which you are directing him to mark purchases as something else.

16. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    $100! Damn! I only got $25 when I signed up a few years ago. They used to have a pretty neat referral program. I wonder if they still have a bonus program of some kind.

I would love it if Revolution MoneyExchange would get critical mass around here. FREE TRANSFERS. NO FEES. A REAL BANK. WE SHOULD ALL START USING IT AROUND HERE.

17. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'll have to look into it. i'd definitely switch. paypal needs a huge competitor. though i'm not familiar, RME should be put on the map.

18. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    and thats why when you buy/send money through them you classify it as personal/gift it negates all fees.

19. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Don't they make enough money? Soon I guess ebay will increase some other fee for some bullshit reason...

20. GrantB

GrantB Pic so old

News Credits:
    This is not a solution.

As I said earlier, from PayPal's perspective, marking a purchase as something else can be construed as violating PayPal's rules and gives them cause to freeze your account (and deny you access to any of your money that may be in it).

All it takes is one disgruntled buyer to turn you in -- "he made me mark this as a personal payment even though I bought this thing from him and he ripped me off." Doesn't matter if he's lying or not, PayPal usually sides with the buyer anyway, and doubly so if they think you're depriving them of fees that, by their rules, you should be paying.