Paypal Dispute - from September?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Jeremy.B, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    So I have this guy placing a chargeback request on a Gundam kit he bought from me on September 8th. Obviously I don't keep my confirmations for five months. I have heard nothing from this guy yet there it is. I thought the limit was 45 days to file a dispute? Anyone heard of this? BTW it is a member on this board, but I cannot remember who it was.

2. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

What was the reason given by papypal for the buyer filing a chargeback?

All chargebacks are actually a process initiated outside of PayPal. The buyer requests a chargeback from their credit card company.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Did you use Paypal click'n'ship to print a label? If so, the tracking info is in your Paypal transaction history.

4. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    "unauthorized use of credit card"

Unless someone stole his card and setup a paypal account with that information, I don't see how that is valid. And even then, the bank would eat the cost, no?

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I've seen this before. From scammers.
    Pay for the item, then months later start a chargeback and get your money back.
    Talk to Paypal about this IMMEDIATELY. IMO, you're being scammed.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

This scenario might be better for you, because if this was an "item not received" case, you have no proof of delivery. It might be worth you while to keep a file of all your transactions. I keep ALL my receipts for 1 year.

Unfortunately, the outcome will be decided by the credit card company, not paypal. However, paypal will help you because this is a possible chargeback fraud case.

7. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I am familiar with chargebacks, but never had to deal with it through paypal so I wasn't sure about it. I have emailed them about the issue. I will give them a call.

Thanks for all your help.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

No problem bro!

Good luck!

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Funny how someone who collects robots suddenly has his credit card fraudulently used to buy... a robot.

10. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    This is a great point, if Paypal look at the guy's spending, he'll probably have a pattern of similar purchases, which should really weaken his case.

Presumably he doesn't go through his monthly statements, only noticed three months later :sly: 

SunnyDay77: Was it through ebay, or here? Did he leave feedback on either? If he did, that would indicate that he knew about the purchase, i.e. wasn't unauthorised.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with the above. I am convinced you are being scammed here.
    Perhaps the TFW member in question would like to clear this up for us?

12. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Ninety: He purchased it on TFW, although I cannot tell you his screen name as it has been 5+ months. No feedback either. Although I do have his email addy...what a douche.

I am pretty sure it is a scam too, Draven. IF someone didnt receive a package, well, they should have contacted me shortly thereafter. We could have rectified it. Hopefully PP will see through this.

13. Da_Last_2_Walk

Regarding the buyer's username.....When somebody sends me a private message, I get a copy of the message sent to my personal email. I assume the two of you talked back-and-forth via PMs. Also, on my for sale thread, I always write who bought my item if the buyer came from the site I'm on.

The buyer is claiming they didn't authorize the charge, not that the item was not received, so it makes sense that they didn't contact you stating they didn't receive the item. Again, the buyer's credit card company will decide the outcome. Technically, paypal doesn't even have to help you, if they think your case can't be won!

I hope everything works out in your favor!

14. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Thanks. I keep the PMs in my inbox until the package is delivered, then delete. But I may try out your practice moving forward.

My whole issue is that if his card was stolen, why did it take so long to figure out it was missing? That is the thing that I am curious about - that and the unlikely hood that someone stole his card and opened a paypal account.

15. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    He'll probably claim it was his kid, that's the most common 'chargeback' excuse.

Probably a stupid question, but you didn't leave him feedback did you?

As for his card being stolen, if he's used it since and/or hasn't claimed those as unauthorised uses, that speaks for itself.

If it 'was' an unauthorised use of his card, he should be perfectly agreeable to sending you the item back. He doesn't want to lose out, but shouldn't want you to either.

If the card was stolen, then he should have reported it. If it was a family member/friend/flatmate/whatever, they should be liable for the return postage, shouldn't be your problem. I'd email him about this, see what he says.

Also, if you can find out which type of card he used, I'd email his card-issuer with his email address and any other details you can provide. Suggest to them that the item is returned. Being amicable should count in your favour.

Hope this works out for you man, incidentally Barney is my second favourite in HIMYM, I have a thing for redheads :D 

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's 5 month old, the transaction record should be still in your account, right? Isn't there a message from the guy, like "Hi this is OptimusPrime 123456 from TFW2005" to help you recall his username?
    This has to be a scam. For this to be true the alleged thief had to have a stolen CC, then open paypal account with it and might be even open TFW account?? No way.

Hope this gets to resolved to your favour.

17. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I had this happen to me aswell, I hand delievered this item at botcon last year and about a month ago I got a call from a collection agencey saying I owed over $300 and there was nothing I can do. If you see someone getting face punched this year at botcon come over and join in. On a side note I was ripped off by another person here and they just so happen to live really close to pasadena...I might have to make a face punching list :D 

18. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Too bad I won't be there to back you up this year.

19. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Ninety: Yeah, I feel ya. Although I wonder if he would return it put together :lol  And yes, Lillith is HOT.

Syydney: Thanks man. I appreciate that.

CZ: Dude, that is horrid. If you want some back up, I'll jump on a plane and join you "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" style. We'll go around beating up kids for jackin' us over. ;) 

20. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I got a good feeling about one of the scammers being at botcon, he aso scammed another member outta a few grand, we managed to track down the business they ran and their personal numbers we phoned the crap outta them until they unplugged them..wonder if id be kicked out of botcon or banned for starting a brawl :D 

hs17: your a jerk for not coming without you and shockwing to back me up im doomed :D 

SD77: Does this mean you will be coming this year?