Paypal dipute vs Credit Card Chargeback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zgraham, Oct 3, 2008.

1. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2007
    I bought and item over a month ago on ebay. I have not recieved it or heard from the seller, who I have tried to contact. I paid through paypal with my credit card, because the item was around 100.00 and I wanted cc protection if something went wrong. I have heard in the past about people winning paypal disputes, but not getting their money back because the seller didn't have any in their account. I am going to try and get my money back. I am going to file a paypal dispute. But if I don't get any money back, can I then file a claim with my credit card company? Should I just file a credit card claim and forget the paypal dispute? Has any one had any experience with this type of problem? Any help will be appreciated.
  2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

Jul 11, 2004
    News Credits:
    Start with the Paypal dispute and just escalate it immediately since you've waited long enough. I believe Paypal now estimates these things wrapping up within 20 days.

Unless the seller coughs up a working tracking number that says the item is in transit or was already delivered to you, you should easily win this one.

It's best not to go with the credit card chargeback first since this goes above Paypal and leaves them a bit irked.
  3. strata32000

strata32000 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey zgraham,
    Did you ever get your money back from that seller?
    You can call your credit card company and tell them that you never received your item.
    You should do this 30 to 60 days from the time you made payment.
    It depends on your credit card company, some allow you up to 90 days to report stuff like this to them. As for Paypal being pissed off at you for making the charge back they won't be. They will just pull it from that persons account or credit card on file.
    Paypal can do nothing to you becuase of the charge back.
    After all you are the one who hasn't received your goods.