Customs: Payload's 'capture claw' - removal?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ramrider, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I just picked up a Deluxe Movie Payload with the intention of repainting him into a different character. I certainly plan on making a few mods to him to tone down the movie aesthetic, and possibly do something with the head.

The thing I'm not sure what to do with is the capture claw gimmick. It's a nice idea, and might even fit in with the character I'm retooling him into, but I'm really not loving that the mechanism for it is about as long as he is tall.
    I'm tempted to remove the gimmick entirely and just attach the front face to his chest; I might have to lose the bull-bar, but it'd also get rid of the shaft, which could make space for something else - like gun storage.

For the record, this is pretty much a brain-fart, but if anybody has any input of their own (could be just as farty as far as I'm concerned :p ), I'm open to ideas...

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I idly considered the same thing.

Cutting the front grill in 2 and permanently attaching it to the feet has been suggested a few times.

As for the ram itself, I like it enough that it sort of pains me to remove it altogether. I was thinking about whether it'd be possible to cut it, and add a hinge joint, so it could fold up against the robot mode's back. Not sure if that could be done while maintaining the functionality.

zmog

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I do like the front grille, and thought about attaching it to the feet myself, but I think it'd look really odd in robot mode, assuming it didn't impede the transformation in the first place. I'm pretty sure it'd look okay in vehicle mode without it if it came to it.

And I don't think you could hinge the claw shaft. For one thing, it;s got a metal rod running along its centre, and for another it's got the spring fitted into it. If you bent the assembly, you'd likely at least lose the positioning of the spring.
    I also considered finding a way to shorten the mechanism. But I think the shaft needs to be as long as it is to allow the prongs of the claw to clear the front of the chest. To shorten the shaft, you'd need to shorten the jaws of the claw, and then it wouldn't be as effective.

[EDIT] Well, I gave it a go. I've pulled out the whole claw assembly. Wasn't particularly hard, just undoing a few screws and then wiggling the shaft a bit - and I can easily refit it if I choose. But I'm not sure I will. Aside from a couple of obvious gaps - a bit in the front of the truck, and the gaping hole in his abdomen, both of which should be easily fillable - He still looks pretty good in both modes, and he doesn't have to deal with an enormous stick poking out of his back. As I've said, I may well use the new-found alt mode space for weapon storage. [/EDIT]

[EDIT AGAIN] I've posted a new thread with pics of Payload minus the attack claw. Click here to check it out. [/EDIT]