Minor/Repaint: Payload, unarmed, but still dangerous

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As I pondered here, I decided to have a go at removing the attack claw gimmick from the Deluxe Payload fig. As cool as the idea of the gimmick was, the ridiculous shaft protruding from his back made me decide it wasn't worth the sacrifice.

It was a pretty simple mod, that I can easily replace if I choose (at least until I do something permanent to the torso, which I will be).

Remove the front bullbar (this is only plugged on the end of the shaft, and may well have fallen off several times for you already).

Unscrew the crotchplate and open it up. This reveals the waist connector, which has a screw running through it. Remove this screw, and you can replace the crotch and re-seal it. Now the shaft isn't connected to the torso.

Then unscrew the four corner screws on the underside of the torso. Gently prise apart the torso (I found this difficult, as it appeared to be glued at one corner, but as long as you don't apply too much pressure, it'll be fine), and pull out the shaft from the claw end. As you get to the end, you may to wiggle the shaft a bit (stop laughing at the back! ;) ) to get the various protrusions through the oddly-shaped gap (at the end, I needed to rotate the shaft 180 degrees to get it out), but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Screw the torso back together and you're done!

It leaves a few holes, but nothing that can't be worked out. Most noticably, there's a gap in the front grille in vehicle mode. I'll probably extend the foot top plates with styrene to fix that. And of course, there's a gaping hole in the abdomen where the claw gimmick was stored. I'll be replacing the frontplate of the claw (as in the first pic), and probably using styrene again to cover over any remaining holes.

Yay! Payload can get through doors again! :D 

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I wondered when someone would do this and post it up. I actually like the gimmick myself, its never caused me any problems in stability or anything.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh, I quite like the gimmick. And stability wasn't a problem - he didn't have any problems standing, or anything.
    I just objected to the bloody great shaft sticking straight out of his back that was required to make it work.

Nobody would want to work too closely to him with that thing there. If he suddenly turned around without thinking, he'd twat everyone within a few feet of him! He'd be the Autobots' own secret weapon! :D 

4. Liquid Ocelot

Liquid Ocelot Active Member

looking good, ther might of been a way to simply shorten the trigger piece at the back (the long pole)

still awesome buddy!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As I mused in the other thread, I don't think you could realistically shorten the shaft. Because of the length of the jaws, you need to push the shaft right through the body in order to get the clearance for the jaws to start moving.
    The only way I could see that you could shorten the shaft by any worthwhile amount and still have the gimmick work would be to shorten the jaws as well, but then they'd be too short and wouldn't be able to grab anything, making it pretty well useless anyway.
    So I figured it was easier to just dump it altogether.

6. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

So it's possible to just remove the shaft and keep the chest piece?

Verrrrry interesting.

I've ben toying with something like this, but figured (without looking too closely) I'd have to saw-off the shaft to keep the chest plate on. This makes things a lot easier.

The other half of the equation is the front grille -- which I figure you can just cut in half and glue to the feet extensions.

-XCN-

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As far as the chest piece is concerned, it does only fit in loosely without the shaft, so you'll probably need to glue it in and maybe fill out the gap in the back if you're so inclined.

I think you could glue the grille to the feet, but again you'd probably want to pad it out a bit first, just to allow clearance for the transformation.

8. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Congratulations, Ramrider.

You just sold another Payload figure for Hasbro, and to someone who swore he'd never buy the godawful thing.