Paying Kids to get educated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 17, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i thought Glenn Beck was making this up, but then as i fought insomnia, i learned that not only in New York, but in Georgia, there are programs that pay kids to get tutoring and do their class work.
    In New York, the money is given after students meet goals- you increase your grades, you get paid.
    In Georgia, you got 8 bucks per hour no matter what.

Where i live, i think we'd lynch the school board for this nonsense and for 2 reasons:
    1. Every year, we get a list of things we have to supply the schools each year because they don't have the money to get it themselves. Last year, I volunteered to buy the stuff for my neices and i think i spent almost 50 dollars each for their lists.

2. what about the kids with good grades that worked hard as hell to keep a decent GPA? I can tell you that i know a small number of kids at the high school that despite their background (single parent home, they work a burger job to help pay bills, etc) they are keeping a 3.5 GPA for no other reason than wanting to get out of the hole they are in.

Should we have to pay underperforming kids to bring D's up to B's? No.
    I think we should do what we can to help at risk kids, but paying them is stupid.
    the education is already free and it is up to them to take that gift and use it.

just sounds fishy to me.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd love to be paid for holding a 3.8-4.0 GPA, but that ain't gonna happen.

The schools only have to do that because of the lovely No Child Left Behind act. I believe they get fined if a certain number of kids fail (or something ridiculous like that), so they probably think it's cheaper to pay the students than to pay the government.

With that, I leave, jealous that I won't get paid for being smart until much later on in life.

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    That's like free money...hell yeah!
    DN

4. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

Why can't Texas be like that?

5. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Well, the kids with high grades will get paid later on. They're called scholarships.

Now if we wanted to prepare kids for real life we should scam and rob the ones with low grades to teach them that being a moron equals being broke.

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

No, if we wanted to prepare kids for real life, we'd destroy all of their hopes and dreams ahead of time. Y'know, we could have *real* career days, where a kid says "I want to be president when I grow up" and then a whole room full of adults can point and laugh.

Oh, and for the record, Glenn Beck is a waste of television / radio signals.

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Ridiculous. Send that money the teachers' way. Teachers are the ones who deserve the money, not idiot students that need to be bribed.

Coming from an Arizona teacher who makes shit.

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

While I am not for this on the surface... I think some people need to have some compassion as there are MANY kids wh0 have to work 8 hour days after a fulls chool day because theya re the primary or only source of income for their family. They simply can't do homework or go to tutoring because they are literally starving and need to work to keep a roof over their house. And many kids have severe learning disabilities that were due to issues with birth or genetics. While giving them cash to attended tutoring may not be the answer, there are some real problems and these kids need some real help that takes their situation into account.

The world isn't as cut and dry as some would like to believe.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

This just shows how backward the US is. WE stopped doing that in the 70's.

10. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Pfft, I wish I had this.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ya know, i don't honestly know if i should feel insulted or add another reason for becoming a canadian. (always tell myself I am not from Mississippi and feel better, LOL. j/k MS natives.)

slightly off topic- you ever been to Moncton?
    got a friend up there and she makes it sound like a piece of heaven compared to where i live. just wanted an impartial yay or nay about that.
    then again, same thing goes for another babe who lived in Brandon, and spent time in Winnipeg.
    (btw, those are reasons 1-30 for me moving north after college.)
    thanks.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i can see how this has advantage to underprivileged students but in general, WTF?

i'm just thinking it sends the wrong kinda message, i dunno.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There's a Harvard researcher who's name escapes me at the moment who's advocating this.

At face value, I'm reflexively opposed for a variety of reasons--most of which have been posted already.

But he makes a simple and persuasive argument--we want kids to get good grades, and when they do, it ultimately costs society less in the long run than any sort of grade-purchasing scheme would. So give it a try. If it works, great. If if doesn't...then stop.

I think it's worth a trial at a minimum.
    This? This is the right attitude. Don't worry about other folks, just focus on your own success.
    I'm so dissapointed that Rule #4 prevents me from engaging you about this.

But yeah, you keep up those crappy little nationalist comments. Seriously.

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Completely agree. Against it on its face but I would be open to research that says otherwise and would be open to some implementations if it helped kids, especially kids in hard situations. I could honestly see a reason for underprivileged kids to have paid tutor time. I mean we have free and reduced lunch because their family can't afford to feed them. Why not for kids who can't do homework or study because they are forced to maintain an income to help their family. The school system's job is to educate kids and make them successful. Some social programs are needed to do this.

And yeah, this is not a N&P thread so let's quit with the LOL US SUX CANADA RULEZ talk. This Topic has no connection to nationalistic politics.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    here, let me help you out.

the US of A has a few socio-cultural issues that are specific to the country, and in cases form exception to the rule in assessing progress in relation to international trends.

as a non-american, i am not privy to all these issues but i try to keep myself informed, if only, you know, to avoid making ignorant statements that may make me come across as an insensitive dumbass.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If it actually gets kids learning rather than just turning up to get paid, I think it's a fair enough idea. however the true test of it will be when these kids get their grades.

17. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I totally agree!

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    They have a system over here like that. E.M.A. (Education maintenance allowance?)
    Basically depending on the parents financial situation a student (aged 16-18) will recieve £10-£30 a week if they attend and stay for all lessons.

They also have one for students aged 18 or over, thats A.?.? I'm not entirely sure on that one.

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Wow... at first glance I was very WTF about this.

However, on some levels it does make sense. If it encourages proper education and costs society less in the long haul... why the hell not?

Would I want my tax dollars going into a program like this? Hell no. It is my job (as a parent) to keep my kids in line and make sure they get the most out of their education (at least until they are 18... then they are on their own).

I also support the pay your teachers more posts!

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    at least you're getting paid shit...in new mexico, we get paid crap...