Customs: Paying for a custom Scrapmetal repaint?

Discussion in 'Requests' started by MagiRanger, Oct 29, 2006.

1. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I just bought an extra yellow scrapmetal, and since i'm too lazy, cheap and dumb to learn custom painting. I thought i'd ask here how much it would cost for somebody to paint it for me.

All feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

what color, man? I could easily do something in about an hours time.

3. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Blue of course, just how much would something like this cost though? Time, labor, supplies, shipping and any hidden fees you crazy kitbashers may think of.

4. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

not much. Repainting the sloid plastic colors is easy, especially when I already have about a dozen shades of blue. The problem lies in the windows on the cockpit, if they are supposed to be translucent blue, that'd be something I am unable to do. If the basic coloring is all you are after, I could easily do it for under 20.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    buy transparent blue paint, by testors, they call it simply "clear blue" if you paint that on both sides of the windows, they'll be see-through blue.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You are better off getting a can of paint, going out back, popping the joints apart, spray the sucked. go play a game or surf the boards while it dries, and reassemble. Total time, 1 hour.

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I would, but after the cost of paint and such (since I never plan to use it again) it'll be more cost efficient to just have someone do it for me. So, do I have any takers?

8. Wreckgar

Pardon my ignorance but paint costs $3 for a can. You'll pay more to have someone do it and ship it to you.

And you never know when that itch might hit to tag a railroad bridge

9. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    If repainting is anything like putting together a model kit, then i'm going to fuck it up. Especially since I read theres sandpaper and knives involved.

10. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm.. I might also want to buy one.. only cause I fear my own painting skills..

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    are the GF rambles that hard to find now days? wow glad I ordered mmy blue one when Hasbro announced they were only realing red at the time

12. Wreckgar

Nah, it's easy with what you want. Scrapmetals have ball joints which pop off easily. Just pop em off and spray the parts you want.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You could take a shot at it just to get a feeling for making customs. It's a highly addicting and rewarding experience and this would be a great mold to start learning with.
    Don't feel intimidated by the hobby, you'll be painting figs like a pro in no time.
    Then you'll wonder why you was going to pay someone to do it lol

I know it can be done in an hour, but would'nt rush it like that. It's probably best to give the paint a whole day to dry. It can dry in a few hours but it will still be soft enough to smudge and fingerprint if you applied to much pressure putting him back together.

Take it step by step if you need and there will always be someone here to help you out every step of the way. It'll be a smooth ride as long as you have good materials to work with. A can of blue Krylon fusion spray paint, some clear blue like RL said, and maybe a few paint markers for touch ups, then a glosse coat (< all from Walmart) and you're good to go.

This little guy may be better dyed though, since he's so small and lots of rubbing/ folding areas

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I don't know if you can dye him blue though. I have a purple and a green one from dye, but I really don't think you'll get blue unless its REALLLLLY dark.

15. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Ok guys, you've twisted my arm. I'll just paint the damn thing myself :p . Even if he doesn't turn out correctly, at least i'll still have a color other than yellow or red.

Is dying that much different from painting?

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    there's no wear in dying. its a little tricky, if you don't pay attention, you could melt it, and your a little more limited in your color pallet as you can only go darker, and whatever the starting color is will affect what you can change it to. My green and my purple scrapmetals were both dyed, then I painted the aps on.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know I'm late to the party on this one, but hey. :p  For Scrapmetal, I think dying is probably the way to go. I started to customize one of mine to purple, but there's so many ball joints and rub spots that the paint wears off them pretty easily. I did get some nice "blue ink" paint by Citadel (game workshop) but I haven't tested it yet. I was turning a red one purple btw.

I really gotta learn dying sometime. Hell, I just need to get off my ass with kitbashing, there's so many I want to do.

18. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... So I bought 2 new scrapmetals.. one yellow and one red.. and was going to paint them, but I have to ask about something.. what do I do about the head? I can figure out how to get the pins out, and balljoints, no prob.. but the head? Anyone? I was thinking I might have to just tape it and cover it to prevent ink coverage?

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    the head is attached via rivet, it must be heated with either a soldering iron, or a wood burner, then the head can be popped off. (15-30 secons probably)

20. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

Thanks for the info... how do you stick it back on?