Pay to DJ? Really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscream600, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

So, there's this party happening in Miami at a Hotel (around WMC time) and they were looking for DJs. I thought of sending in a demo but then I noticed that in order to DJ at this, you have to pay them $200. My question to you guys, would you pay to DJ somewhere? And why? I really can't think of a reason why I would pay to DJ anywhere. I mean its one thing if this is for a benefit. I've played tons of those for free. But this isn't the case though. The $200 is to cover expenses for the equipment they are "renting" or bringing. I've gone to parties before and the venue either had tables and a mixer, or I would provide that.

IMO, I feel that if you have to pay to DJ somewhere....you're probably not that good.

EDIT: Don't ask for a website. The organisers found a DJ already and have taken down the ad. That DJ's gotta be stupid to pay that 100 quid tho.

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    or if it is something you want to make a career of, sometimes it pays to help get your name out there, communicate and make connections for other events/gigs.

3. Starscream600

I have played at multiple gigs and sometimes I'm not even paid. The organiser are supposed to pay you, not you pay them. That's clearly daylight robbery right there.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Probably it's an uber ultimate party that would appeal a lot in your CV?

I've been paid to DJ, I'm hosting a radio show weekly for free but paying to do it is out of the question for me.

5. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    This....

It cost to be the boss....who knows spending 200$ might get you thousands at the ends..
    Usualky that money goes to the promoter...you get your name out and other promoters/big wigs will start requesting you....

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So is it 200 dollars or 400?

I could see paying if it was to DJ for producers or people looking for DJs but at the same time it sounds like the "pay to become a model/actor" scam. If it is for potential clients then the hosts should act as finders and take a cut of fee. I'd like to see the flyer or what have you to see the exact details myself.

EDIT: Just checked out your DJ Demo. Not my type of music but I can tell it's put together well and I could easily see it in a club. Worth a look see for anyone into club music.

7. Starscream600

Whoops, my bad.

I only found out when they emailed me back asking for the 200. Guess reading the fine print matters after all. And as for the ad, it's been taken down.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Miami's known for a hotspot for pay days on djs (talking 5 to 6 figures for one night). However if you live in Singapore maybe they thought they could scam you without worrying about repercussion if you followed through?

Bottom line is if it don't seem right don't do it as you already have. Will suck if you found out the DJ that did pay got a good payday out of it.

9. Starscream600

5 to 6 figures? S**t man, I only earn like US$200 at most here. But then again I'm still a student, I occasionally take up gigs at my friends or teachers parties. And to knightdramon, I do run a radio show called "Ra1n's Hardcore Fun Time" during my free time but I stream it over Skype to a limited number of people.

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know people who DJ, and they usually have their own equipment. They usually get paid to DJ. I'm wondering if you can ask them about it if you bring your own equipment?

11. Starscream600

Like I said, the organisers have already got someone.

12. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just saw that. I meant for future reference in case you run into other places that ask for it.

13. Starscream600

That's what I do when I play at a friend's party. I just pack everything up and bring it with me. I'm just pissed that I spent 15 to 20 minutes doing the mix and then being told that I need to pay $200.

14. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I don't blame ya. I'm not too fond of the idea of "paying" to work.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    If you have to pay for dj-ing, it's obviously a rip-off. DJs often get ripped off, sometimes they don't even pay you at all. But playing for nothing is something else than paying for work.

A DJs work is still work. Don't play a gig you have to pay for. Never ever.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do DJ's get tips? Maybe that is what they are thinking. You'd get a lot of $$ in tips & they want their cut up front guaranteed.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The only way i can see paying to DJ make sense is if it was some sort of competition with a cash prize for the winner or an opportunity to DJ at huge gig with a matching paycheck. but a straight up paying to play no. even if there is tip given to the DJ you cannot guarantee how much you would get.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    DJs rarely get tips in my experience. I usually got free shots from a party of people or something. A friend of mine got 100 euros as a tip from the best man at a wedding because he happened to have and played a song he asked for. It's random.

19. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Paying to play music is a pretty standard practice.

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Exactly.

If anything, 200 bucks is probably chump change, especially seeing as you'd be using their equipment, and bands have to do this all the time when doing shows. Unless a business can get people in the door by specifically advertising your name on the card, "pay to play" is to be expected. I know it sucks, but that's how she rolls. Even BT probably did this when he was starting out, but now he's the greatest composer in the industry. :)