Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by -Mainframe-, Mar 25, 2012.

1. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a thread.

What are some of your favorite items on the show?

What do you like about the show?

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Every old weapons are my favorite!

3. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Article

Video

4. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

That collection was epic...and Rick just didn't understand the potential for how much money he could've made.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well also you got to look at it from Rick's stand point. He has to: pay someone make sure each piece is complete, put items with proper boxes, find good price that they are selling for online, price them, post them online, mail them, store some that are not selling, etc. He has to spend a lot of money doing this. It is VERY costly and time consuming. Imagine having to pay a guy $10-12 an hour to go through several thousand plus figures, condition grading, putting guns and missiles together with figure, etc. That is days worth of work. Time that could be used selling items that will bring in the money.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love the show, my fav is The Old Man.

7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It's a great show. It is very funny and I enjoy seeing all the neat things they bring in. It's also educational.

8. IceMagnus

IceMagnus I like it loud!

News Credits:
    The Transformers collection

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was funny when some guy let Chumley know that he doesn't think he is funny. Chumley kept his mouth shut after that.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I miss when The History Channel showed history.

Not a bad show, but I'm just saying. At least it beats "Swamp Trash", "OMG ALIENS!!1", and "Larry the Cable Guy Wanders the South with his Thumb up his Ass".

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, Pawn Stars is better than most, if only because I like to see Rick and Co utterly destroy people's dreams of wealth.

I mean, even in the early days of the history channel people bashed it for showing nothing but WW2 documentaries, so I guess there has to be some happy equilibrium between variety, content, and entertainment, even if they're not there yet.

I like it when people bring in stuff that actually participated in history (props, weapons, clothing, coins/maps/stamps, etc.) and they go into the authentication process. That's where the show gets to shine, I think.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just got back from vegas last week and was able to visit the place. They were filming an episode and yelling at us to not take pictures.

That night, downtown, I met the owner of Toyshack, who is the guy pawnstars calls on to authenticate collectible toys. Got his contact info, nice guy

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    To be fair, everyone who walks in there to sell something, thinks their item is either : one of a kind, worth more money than everything, or real(not a replica). Some people just don't take a hint either. Some guy came in there with a statue, he thought was from the 1700's and was by some french artist or something. Rick pointed out that it was a reproduction, and even showed him the stamping that said "1960" or whatever modern year it was. The guy had a fit and wouldn't believe him.

I hate the ones that even after the experts come in, and they still ask for money HIGHER than what it is worth. Plus, after they get the value, they don't understand that they are trying to sell it to a PAWN SHOP, who's goal is to make money on said item. So, they still ask for a high price to what it COULD be worth. Granted, yes, they do get lowballed quite often.

They did try to run another version of Pawn Stars called Cajun Pawn Stars. Done in Louisiana I think, where they even pawn livestock. The show itself kinda sucks though, especially that idiot that walks in there all the time with the most rediculous things and claims it is worth a fortune.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You mean lost money right? As piecing out that collection would cost more than he could ever make back on it. Truth is as a collectible Transformers are not valuable at all. Actual collectible toys are around $100 a pop, even beat up junkers.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just love it when idiots on the internet complain saying Rick rips people off because an item is worth 10K and he will only pay 4K or something. Rick runs a high end store (and souvenir shop) where the sell lots of unique items. Want to see a real rip off artist watch Hardcore pawn. He will lowball desperate people then laugh he could get it cheaper. Rick will respect you and give you a fair deal. Les is pure slime.

16. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I agree, Rick will tell it to ya straight. There have been times where people ask for some real low number, and he even tells them, it is worth a lot more than that. However, that has backfired a few times before. One lady brought in some piece of jewelry and asked for a real low number, and he explained it could be worth thousands. So, they find it was worth a few grand, and she then decides: "Ok, so that means I can get all that for it". It just boggles me, she asks for a couple hundred, he offers her over a grand and now she wants to get even more. He was at least honest with her and now she wants to go all out?

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I agree. I like Rick. You have to give him class when he is able to meet halfway at times.

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those guys are assholes sometimes.

"This thing is worth about $100,000"
    "I'll give you $50 for it"

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    The show is an absolute riot. Love it. But there's always that thing in the back of my mind telling me to remember one thing...

Neither party is ever in danger of losing out on to much. Rick and company are getting paid as actors, right? Their clients are getting paid for appearances, right?

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would assume Rick and Co. are compensated for the cameras, and I wouldnt be at all surprised if customers are compensated as well. How MUCH, however, would be the question.

I'm amazed that Rick has this massive stable of experts in the area he can call on at seemingly a moment's notice (or so it seems due to the magic of television), but I suppose in his line of business you make those connections pretty readily.