Pawn Shops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Surge, May 28, 2012.

1. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I know this isn't Yahoo Answers but I feel like I can trust you folks here over random people I've never met. Anyways, I know pawn shops have a tendency to rip people off but I want to sell something. A vintage (so to speak) JVC dual-cassette boombox with equalizer, CD player, AM/FM radio, etc. This baby has it all. I desperately want RiD voyager Bulkhead so can anyone make a rough estimate whether or not I'll get atleast 20 or more dollars for selling this thing? I've been browsing eBay and old boomboxes there go up to a hundred or more, on average.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I doubt you'll get much for it. It all depends on how much the pawnshop thinks they can get for it, and for something that probably isn't in very high demand...they're going to lowball the crap out of you.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    The whole point of selling to a Pawn shop is to unload things that you can't sell anywhere else for a price that makes it possible for them to turn a profit. In other words, you're supposed to get ripped off.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not list it on ebay and see if it sells. BTW, it sounds like it is decent. Unless you never use it, why not just hold out for some cash instead of getting next to nothing for it.

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Or just list it on one of your local classifieds. They probably get a shitload of traffic, and you can probably even get close to market value without even needing to mail shit out.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you won't get much for it for the simple reason that the pawn shop won't be able to sell it much of a profit. This is something that isn't necessarily in demand.

7. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Why not do quirky little tasks for neighbors? Mow the lawn, sweep the driveway. Babysitting? You don't have to sell your stuff man, it's so much better to have a job. I make 80 a month working at my school's daycare after school one day a week. I get paid to read books, play tag, and colour. (And sweep floors and wipe tables, but that's expected of most jobs.) You get to keep your shit, and buy more shit! Jobs are great and there's all kinds of them out there. Forget the shady pawn shop.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Thanks for your input, everyone. I suppose it was a stupid decision. I've sold several things on eBay in the past (with the help of my aunt) which I ended up regretting. Now that i thought of it, it's pretty much my only source of music other than the PC I'm using right now. I want a job badly, trust me, but my highly skilled brother (baking is his expertise) even had a hard time getting a new job. Pretty much my only option so far, is voc rehab. And even if I sign up for that again, I'll have to be put on a 6 month - 1 year waiting period. If I could move, I would.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    IIRC Pawn shops aren't buying your stuff, they're loaning you some cash which (supposedly) you have to pay them by a certain time, otherwise they keep your items?

So really, you're not going to get top rate for your stuff because the idea is you're supposed to be back for it. Now I know a lot of people treat pawn shops as places to sell their stuff, but I don't think they're the best place to do it.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, that's if you actually pawn something. Many shops will also put shit on consignment or straight up buy things, but since they're essentially selling it for you, there's not gonna be a lot of profit left over for you.

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I use to work next to a large pawn shop and I talked to the employees of the shop during my breaks. I was told that 65% their shop business is being a pawn broker. Most of the time when they buy items, is through people that's desperate for money.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Keep the boombox and take it out into the street and bodypop for money from people walking past.

There's an old guy that stands in the town here that plays music really loud and just shuffles from side to side while singing along (badly I might add) and on each hand he's got a sock puppet and they fight each other as he sings. And yet for some reason people still throw him cash (in hopes of shutting him up maybe?).

13. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Actually, he's someone I would probably throw money at ;)  I figure, at least he's out there giving it a go!!! Despite not having any real talent - and that is a talent in itself.

I gave $20 to a big, beefy guy covered in tattoos.....playing the flute. I just thought good on him for playing such a petite and pretty instrument while looking like he belongs to the Hell's Angels. He played it beautifully too!

I am always generous to people who think outside the box when they busk, or who just do something I would not expect (aka the flute playing guy).

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Now I come to think of it I think he might've been collecting for charity, not officially but just off his own back. I'm sure there was a similar thing the year before where an old guy was cycling around town towing a boombox behind him on a little homemade trolley and singing badly and with a sign about Sudan or something. Might be the same guy and he just decided to upgrade his act to include puppet fights.

15. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I would say he made a wise business decision.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm guessing it was the charity of 'me'. I'm also guessing that the earning he makes from busking isn't declared and while I'm on a roll of assumptions I'm also guessing he's on income support and various other health related benefits, and that a few months time he will be plastered over 'newspapers' in an attempt to get me angry at poor people.

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    It's entirely possible. I think mostly he's just some mad dude and people give him cash thinking he's a charity. I give my money to registered charities. Mostly ones for kiddies and doggies and Cancer.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Going to a Pawn Shop is adding a middle-man to the process of selling your things. Anytime you add someone else to the sales chain, they're going to need to make some profit, which will come out of your margin. The only way to not get ripped off is to sell your stuff directly to the end-consumer. Ebay, Kijiji, yard sales, etc. are examples of this.

Also, Pawn Shops are used to dealing with people who need money NOW, and as such, know they can offer less money as a result.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    ^ All true and good advice. You know whatever you sell your stuff to a pawnbroker for they'll be giving you probably less than half what you could get for it if you sold it directly to someone that actually wants the thing for themselves.

Sure it's more hassle to try and track down a proper buyer but you'll feel less ripped off by the end of it and have more money to show for your efforts. It's a horrible feeeling to have to sell something fast to make some emergency money and know you let the item(s) go for so much less than if you had the luxury of time to find a proper buyer.
    I used to do the car boot sales and pick stuff up cheap and then immediately sell it to the dealers there for a bit of profit, but you quickly realise you can set up your own stall at the car boot sale and sell the things on yourself for less than the dealer does (thus undercutting his prices to make your wares more attractive to browsers) and still make a better profit on them than when you were doing it the other way.

20. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    Offer it to some punk kid in exchange for stealing you a RID Bulkhead.