Customs: Patching up chipped paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I've no idea if it's even remotely possible to fix those vacuum-chromed bits, but regular paintjobs should be possible to fix, yes?

So, what kind of paints do you recommend for patching up chipped paint on A) plastic parts and B) die cast parts?

MP Convoy is the biggest problem, he's had red paint coming off all over him. What kinda paint (and what colour exactly) should I use to patch up the die cast torso and the autobot logo on his shoulder? I got small brushes so that's not a problem.

While I'm at that, I could probably patch up my reissue Predacons, too...

2. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Well alot of threads do pop up here asking about restoring joints and such maybe the forum titles need a little tweaking. Some fixing topics do tend to float around in the general sections of alot of boards sometimes.

I myself would use enamel based paints to restore paint on diecast parts, it's going to be hard finding the right match so mixing your own paint to match using hobby paints will have to do.

Chrome on the other hand is hard, you might find some hobby leafing product but it will never look the same as it did. I would suggest painting the whole chrome part with the high grade chrome paint like Alcad.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, "slightly different hue of red at one spot" is still probably a lot less offensive to the eye than "patches of bare grey die cast all over the place".

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah the task of matching the hue of the paint is really the tough chore with touch-ups. I've got a BT police Prowl that is in need of the same kind of help, but matching the white and black would be quite a challenge.

If you're not worried about the pieces as much, you can always paint the entire piece. That way you're guaranteed to match the hue. Depending on the size of the piece, that might be a bit cumbersome and might make more of a mess than what you have (depending on your skill level).

You could also look into part-swapping for a non-damaged piece.

Anyways, those are just a few suggestions and input from me; I hope it helps :thumb 

*looks at his BT Prowl*

5. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

i agree with supersquad:thumbs2: 

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL :lolol 

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, considering what kinda pieces we're talking about here (Prime's whole torso), I'd say that's out of the question...

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    QFT! :lol 

9. FallenWarrior10

FallenWarrior10 Crazed clown!

What kind of chipping are we talking about? A little bit of chipping around the edges, or patches of missing paint? If its the former, then thats fairly easy to fix. I had some paint chip off of my MP Convoy, and I used Testors red acrylic paint and a brush with a very tiny tip. You would have to really look to find where I placed the paint. I hope this helps you.