Patapon Discussion and Help Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally picked it up Yesterday.

Started this thread because although the game is fun as hell and is difficult to put down, there is a lot of unexplained things in the game where you kinda have to guess what to do next.

I Checked online and the only guide online doesn't really make too much sense.

I'm stuck in the desert where you are supposed to make it rain, but the only levels available to me to find the thing to do so are the Dragon battle (already defeated him twice) and the hunting grounds.

The first and second time defeating the dragon were easy, but he keeps killing my guys the third time around. I've been trying different strategies, but nothing works, and even though I have enough money and new items to create better Patapons, I can't because my roster is full (is there a way to dump cheaper ones for new ones?)

I tried simply defending and letting the spears and arrows do damage but eventually he plows through the warriors and makes his way to the flag-holder and it's Game Over Man, Hudson style.

Any suggestions?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Okay, can we keep multiple threads about a single game to an absoloute
    minimum please?

IE this will be the last Patapon thread, yah.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, sorry 'bout that. Since the game is out, the others can just flush down into the abyss of forgotten threads.

So any suggestions?

4. McBradders

Thread bumpage is fine so long as it's not super old and anything new is relevant. IE what happens with Smash Brothers.

As for the third dragon, no idea, still stuck on that damn Sandworm :( 

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i had a quick half hour with the game last night, so i have no idea what you're on about! like it so far though.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    heheh, no I'm stuck on the second dragon (post demo) third time fighting him, at least that's what I figured I had to defeat to get the forth drum or item to make it rain in the desert.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Did you go to the hunting ground and do the rhythm written on the "tree" there?

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried to, but once I started it, they got mad because I stopped the rythms that they usually follow. The moment I pressed Triangle Circle, they just stopped and fell on the ground.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think you have to be standing directly in front of it - it either spits out the new drum, or the rain miracle, I can't remember which. It took me a couple tries before it would work.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome thanks, that's what I was looking for. I tried killing the dragon a third time to see if he would drop it but he just kicked my ass.

Do you know if there is a way to get rid of old, lesser patapons to make room for new ones? I have the components to make better ones, but my roster is full :( 

Game is definitely not easy, hehe.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can "retire" Patapons in the army setup screen - just go in to start a level, zoom in on an individual and hit select. You can then cancel out and make a better one.

Once you get the miracles going, shit gets crazy. I've just found the second miracle, but I have yet to get it to work.

Another tip for later in the game - go back to multiple hunting grounds multiple times. You will randomly find very helpful things, like new guys that open up new stops in the village, similar to the trumpet guy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks. I have some elements to make better bowmen and spearmen, but I was outta room. Thanks for the pointers. Going to try this during lunch. I could try it now, but I can imagine my boss walking in on me when I have this video to finish.

13. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where are you guys stocking up on stones? I'm not very far (just past the crossing of the desert level) but some of my men got eaten by the second dragon... I need more stones to make more guys!

14. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

How do you keep the fever going? Every time I get the fever level, it kills my momentum and my patapons just stop dead in their tracks. What is the right time to start drumming again to keep the fever going?

15. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

It's an odd timing change, but you kind of have to speed it up a bit. I got lucky once and I kept a Fever going for a good minute. It's a quick change in tempo, but if you hit it then you destroy enemies.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just don't listen to the Pata's screaming and concentrate on the beat. It really doesn't change. Tap your feet or do whatever it takes to ignore their distracting (but cool) chanting. I kept Fever going through an entire level.

Also, I don't know if this hurts, but once you get the defense song, start the level with the defense song until you get fever before moving on.

17. smangerbot

this game is ftreaking addictive - and awesome. stuck on the desert level, having difficulty pulling off the miracle chant. can't seem to get the timing down for some reason.

i'm gettign the hang of keeping them in fever mode though, had it going for nearly a whole level last night.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one thing I've been doing a lot is going on the hunt minus the front line. It's a tip on the loading screen. The front like warriors spook the enemies so by using the Spear and Archers, they launch a volley at the birds before they can get up, thus knocking them out before they can run. They leave a lot of money behind, and last night they dropped a Large Stone. So it's a good way to build up your army. Also, the dancing tree will drop huge objects too if you get his song completely.

A way to defeat the dragons without losing troops is to time your attacks and defenses with distance. That is, use the digital pad to scan ahead and when you see that dragon's head creep into the shot, start your attack song. The warriors will charge in but your ranged guys will stay behind. After your first attack, the dragon will crouch down... your next song will be defense, as he will try to knock them back, but their shields will block it. Keep in defense mode because his next attack will be fire... Your archers and spear guys will stay behind and miss the flames and the charges. Only march forward when the dragon leaves the scene. This way, your ranged guys will never even get touched, and your warriors back up to defend them when you go into defense mode, so the flames barely nick them, and the swallow attack doesn't reach them. This even works on the harder dragons, but it's still challenging.

19. smangerbot

ok, i worked out why the rain miracle was giving me so much shit.

YOU DONT BEAT THE DON DRUM TO THIER CHANT! YOU USE ALL OF THE FREAKING BUTTONS EXCEPT FOR THE DON DRUM!

not sure whether to blame the translations or what, but it was never really explained properly. or maybe i just didn't read it. either way i'll never get back those hours.

20. McBradders

Thats all well and good until you go to the one that just eats the fuckers :mad 

It's all "Hahahah you aren- what the fuck, he just ate my guys! WHOLE! YOU BASTARD!"