Pat Lee does more Transformer art

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tinlunlau, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    You know, I remember when Wizard ran that first "what if" sketch Pat Lee did of the Transformers, and it was actually pretty damn cool, and for some reason (I'm guessing laziness) he stopped doing the tight, sharp lines that made them look cool and just got all balloony and bloated. Maybe he was stuffing all the money into the robots to hide it?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, the Wizard art was amazing. It got me so excited when I found out he was doing an actual transformers comic.

and then came the balloons.

Pat could do some really great art if he would just TRY. Look at the reissue prowl box art. that's GREAT. look at the TRU reissue rodimus box art. what the fuck is that? Is there even a word?

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I would be totally pissed if Pat Lee drew on my laptop.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'd love him to draw on my laptop, if he'd draw like this:

[​IMG]

Like this?

[​IMG]

Not so much. And that's one of his earlier pieces, before Optimus' lower legs ballooned and the silver trim around his chest windows took over his entire torso.

5. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Forgive me for not being the greatest in judging art detail but the only thing I could think of looking at that picture was....

Why does Soundwave have a skinny Optimus head? :sly: 

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That Soundwave is fugly, IMO.

7. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:

Soundwave's head crest is uneven its smaller on the right and larger on the left...

8. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I don't particularly care for THIS piece of art...though I have to say that Decepticon insignia is crappily done, and I find it the EASIEST of all the TF insignias to draw (leading to it showing up everywhere even though the 'cons aren't my favourite factor).

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm not even gonna click the link and look at the Soundwave.

I find it disgusting that someone whose suspect business practices and morals should do so well for himself in Hong Kong. Using the money he should have paid others he essentially paid for his girlfriends sucessful entry into Miss HK. If she ever gets elected to the world stage what kind of receptoin might she get? Probably a decent one, because no one cares about how she got there.

Its like his popularity has snowballed over there, he's a chinese dude who did well in America! And look! He can draw those toys we remember as kids! Woo!

How does this statement justify being screwed over? If I did some work, I would expect to be paid. Doesn't matter what the job is. Doesn't matter if he did this YEARS ago. He still did it. And now he's living the high life in another country. How is this acceptable?

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it all seems like a con game to me.
    "Hey guys, i got the Transformers license! Let's start a company, roll in the dough and all have Maseratis and shit and be like rap stars in the comic world."

and a few artists took the bait.

the man didn't steal money, IMHO. he stole time, creativity, passion, loyalty, dreams, trust...tons of other things beyond the reach of a dollar or yen.

talent be damned. if he has any, who cares? if he don't, who cares?

i don't care if the man who robs my house is a graduate of Engineering College and after taking my stuff goes back to making 140k a year doing that.

i would be still broke, dealing with insurers, trying to hunt down things that already took 15-25 years of my life to find and will take that long to replace.

will not curse him for what he did; but if bad karma takes it pound of flesh on him, i won't pity him either.

and thanks, i looked at my Prowl and Rodimus boxes- what a massive difference.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, apparently, his girlfriend recently started referring to herself as single again, so it looks like all that money he poured into her campaign didn't pay off the way he thought it would. :lol 

12. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

He's an ass, do we really need to keep giving him attention?
    OH TEH NOES, TEH PAT LEE COUGHED AND MADE A TRANSFORMER LOGO!
    Sorry, I be in a bad mood/tired.
    No offense to you tinlunlau, but every time that idiot is mentioned here, we get three things, everyone talks about how crappy he is, which is true; then we get people who say, HE IS CRAPPY BUT I LOVE HIS WORK...; and then we get that one dude who always seems to defend him, and it's always the same dude.
    It's insane and mind boggling that people are actually asking him to draw tf stuff for them, after all the crap he pulled.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ^LOL. Where did you hear that?

14. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fu@# you Pat Lee!!!!!

I feel better now.

16. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And he wrote "Lazerbeak."

Screw you, Pat Lee. Or should I say Pat CRAP?!?! Bazing.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pat lee sucks major donkey balls.

if you google image up 'sucking major donkey balls' pat lee's pic actually comes up.

its on the 2nd page, BUT STILL.

18. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Question for everyone. Was Pat Lee responsible for Transformers returning to Comics? In other words was he responsible for the revitalization of the Franchise in comics.

19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dreamwave won the bid for the licence, yes. Then they ran it into the ground.

If they hadn't gotten it, someone else would have.

20. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

If anything, we can look at it as a learning experience. I'm sure now everyone is much more selective of the kind of work they take on, and they are better off for it.

Tongue face man, tongue face :D  Of course he's a dick but I'm saying that getting into the freelance comic book/art business is full of risks like these.

Shady dealings and character as a person aside, IMO the only thing that is different between his art style and the art styles we see today at IDW is that Lee made all of the Katoki bevels just a little bit wider, which made the limbs look even less square and more bulky/rounded.

To this day, I haven't seen a TF artist YET who can figure out a convincing and/or aesthetically pleasing way to make Optimus Prime's hips and shoulders articulate.