Passing on a toy and the inevitable regret

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Aug 14, 2009.

1. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    I passed up on War For Cybertron Megatron when they had one last stock of him at TRU before they switch the generations figures to more of the G1 characters at the time. I really want a good Megatron figure now...

2. Chalice

Chalice ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل

News Credits:
    My main regret right now is MP Hot Rod and Alternators Hot Rod. At the different times that they were released I was on 'out of interest' phases with the fandom. Now he's the only MP and Alt I don't have. ><

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hhaahahaha

... but for me, I kinda regret not getting MP Rodimus when it was 40% off last Christmas. There was 1 left that'd fallen behind other shit, but I thought I better not couse I'd already bought a lot of stuff including Unicron, and now I kinda wish I had couse I'll never find it in person again, let alone that cheap.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I was late to the modern TF game rules. I saw the FE figures at TRU and passed by them, still had the old way of thinking at the time. The old, walk by them and get them another day way of thinking. The way it used to be with most places.

Then FE ended and they went poof.

I kicked myself badly for that because I wanted Starscream and I saw it. A few months later, I saw Takara's FE Starscream on BBTS and I just went for it.

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    FE Prime Cliff for $25.

6. opheadtaker

opheadtaker Gaseous sycophant

Once i passed up a sealed-in-box armada unicron for 10 at a bargain store that was closing down.though im not much of a collector,he still would have been nice to have :-/.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I regret.......Nothing!

The few that i have passed on and really wanted, i later bought.

Right now, everything i really want, i have, or have on preorder.

8. Peter Bazooka

Peter Bazooka Monsterbot

Me too. Passed it on clearance tons of times cause I thought it looked like junk. Cue Fansproject add-ons and I'm on a trip to frown town.

9. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    munitoner and explorer when they were originally at BBTS... I have them now, but I paid substantially more than I would have had I just bit the bullet the first time

10. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure I could still get him if I really wanted to, but I remember seeing Energon Shockblast in the store one time at regular price, and said I'd come back later. Never saw him in store again. Next time I saw him, it was online and he had quadrupled in price.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I have been collecting for a loooong time, longer than my TF collecting days, so I know what happens when you pass on a figure.

Like many, you see the figure, you pass cuz you just saw it and it is new and then BANG you NEVER see it again.

It is like Murphy's Law and it always happens so I learned long ago to buy when I see it.

The two that got me were Tigatron and Blackarachnia. I had JUST started collecting and was going for unique moulds only. At that point Tigartrons and BA's littered the shelf. Then I watched the show and wanted all the characters and like magic the pegs of Tigartrons and BAs disappeared.

Since then, if I see it and want it I buy it.

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    I regret not getting classics ramjet, and universe darkwind when I had the chance.

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I just recently passed on MP Thundercracker. I've wanted it on and off, and for the first time ever I saw two in my local TRU, but honestly could not justify the price to myself at the time (even with my wife triple-checking if I was certain I didn't want to buy it). It's remorse because I doubt I'll see it on the shelf again, and I have wanted MP TC, but... yeeeah.

14. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So here's a story I haven't told until now, but this seems like a good place for it.

The year was 1993, I was traveling in Europe for the summer, and though my packing space was super limited, I was determined to buy some toys. In a little back-alley toy store in Venice (which was surprisingly full of toy stores) I found what I thought was a Battle Gaia box set of Combaticons. I didn't even own regular Combaticons at that point, so I was pretty excited to pick them up, and for the equivalent of about $40.00 US.

Later on in the trip, I was in Nice, in France, and stopped into a funky little mini-department store. On the stuffy, jumbled top floor I found a large tan-gold box that contained a very elaborate looking European release of Overlord. The box was really big, and heavy, and I had already bought a few other things by that point (individually carded Stunticons), and they wanted about $150 for it, which I didn't want to spend, so I passed.

Of course, that Battle Gaia turned out to be a KO set, though not a bad set at all, except it's not worth anything really. The Overlord I passed on is worth quite a lot, and I still regret not buying it.

The weirdest thing I bought on that trip was some mint-in-box "Ice Age" late release Dino Riders toys, which I think were never released in the USA, but were on clearance in a shop in Budapest. I wound up trading the two that I bought (for about $5 equivalent) for a mint, sealed GI Joe Moray Hydrofoil.

Tim
    "toy geek"

15. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Professional Cat Herder & Ancient Alien Theorist.

Ebay:
    ....Only buying (1) MP Grimlock. I should have bought (2) and then used one for tradebait or for a rainy day investment.....stupid!

16. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mp megatron and hegemon!

17. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The MP figures I saw at Walmart and passed on because I thought they were too much. Prime, Starscream, Skywarp. Of course, I wound up paying significantly more for them. Except Skywarp. Never got one.