Passed my "Sophomore Review" *art inside*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joebot., Nov 8, 2009.

1. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I'm currently a junior at Kent State university earning my BFA. I just went through an important stage for my degree which is Sophomore Review.

Essentially it is a requirement through the School of Art which you need to pass in order to continue on in the program. All of the work that you have done in college is critiqued and nit-picked to death by the full time art faculty and needs to meet their criteria to ensure that you have the skills you need to enter the upper division level.

It was a pretty nerve racking experience to say at the least but it was also very valuable to receive that level of critique as an artist. I passed and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing my work.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism or ask any questions about my work :]

2. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

Cool stuff, congrats :) 

I took every art course in HS and would have loved to go further with it after I graduated but my problem is that I get bored easily and drawing day in and day out would make me have to enter a room with 4 white walls.

3. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Thanks for the complement :]

Yeah lately I've been feeling way too overwhelmed with it. Having to constantly think out of the box is extremely emotionally draining and its starting to take a tole on me unfortunately. however after going through this process I know it is worth it

4. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

Congrats!
    Critique is always bittersweet, so good job on being able to take it well :) 

5. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Thanks! I've always taken criticism well, at least towards my artwork. The thing I thought was the most interesting throughout the whole process was how varied the feedback was that I got. An instructor could have given me a "poor" rating in something while another could have given me an "excellent" for the same thing.

6. red4

red4 Banned

I'm glad you made it. Now, I can't do any of that stuff anywhere as nicely as you did, but if I was on the "panel", I wouldn't have passed you. Well, since it was a sophomore review, maybe I would've been more lenient. There's also the fact that the photos don't do your work any justice; so I'd really have to see the work in person. But from what I can see here, the most impressive pieces are the ones done in pencil (at least they look like pencil).

7. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Why wouldn't you have passed me?

8. red4

red4 Banned

It looks too much like you used the same shading technique on everything, one which hardly brings out any detail - it even looks like it drowns out detail on some pieces.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    congrats

10. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Yeah, that must be the photos. Some are shaded while others are only line. Some are more traditionally shaded while others are crosshatched. Also the stuff that is pictured is only a fraction of all the work that was shown. From my Drawing III class alone there was around 90 drawings in all. Also there are some drawings using drawing ink.

Thanks for the criticism, I appreciate it. I'm taking Drawing IV next semester and I haven't taken a drawing class since freshmen year so I'll look into other ways of tackling my drawings.

11. red4

red4 Banned

It's more the things that are in color that appear to suffer from the shading thing.

12. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    My paintings? If so I would definitely agree with you but all that was really asked of us in Painting I and II was hue, saturation, and color relationships and not really paint handling. Unfortunately for me I struggle with those aspects. One of my painting influences is Willem DeKooning

13. red4

red4 Banned

Oh, I see. Not my cup of tea. I like contrast; and I find it one of the most difficult things to achieve without the use of outlines.

14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

That cityscape piece you did is absolutely beautiful! (the one below the girl picture and to the right of the red one!)

15. red4

red4 Banned

16. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I here you on that. my painting style is more graphic
    Thanks :] I'm quite fond of that one myself as well. It is Hong Kong

17. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome, and so trippy.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Looks like your college focuses mostly on fine art. Chances are the drawing standard isn't great. That's just the way it is with a lot of art colleges. You should focus more on your drawing. Really learn how to draw, and try not to pick up a load of bad habits.

Your hand drawings show promise. Focus on the basics; proportion, gesture, silhouette, line, perspective, composition. Forget about prettying things up with shading, or artying them up. That can come later.