Customs: Partsforming - In defense of

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deaculpa, Dec 29, 2009.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    can i go on a quick rant? i promise ill keep it short.

whats the huge frown on partsforming? i was building a pitvistator at some point and someone was like, whatever, its a "partsformer," and those limbs dont do anything. so...peshaw.

so whut? almost every original combiner was a partsformer to the extent that the heads/shields/hands/feet of the gestalt didnt have a purpose other than in gestalt mode (i think devastator is the exception where the gestalt pieces attached to the individual bots, but still had no function in their robot modes). but that was part of the fun, right?
    even the first optimus primes hands and head came off and sat in the cab.

but my point -
    if i make a joint interchangeable, and have pieces or weapons which switch spots at different times, im partsforming? what if i just tie a string to it all so its attached?

or maybe i dont know what partsforming is. but it sounds like something somebody made up.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It's a case-by-case basis for me on whether partsforming is acceptable or not. But mostly a matter of form and function.

For gestalts I don't mind so much. I think it helps out the overall look once it's done, and usually gives the combiner much more articulation than it would have otherwise.

I don't think it's as acceptable for maybe single Deluxe or Voyager class figures. Unless maybe whatever piece comes off becomes a reasonably good looking weapon of some soft or it works like the FP trailers, becoming an additional armor on a base figure. But I'd rather not see some part of a car pop off and suddenly reattach as part of the legs or something. I think things like that should have more thought and design put into it to prevent that from happening.

Overall though, I much rather prefer partsforming over shell-forming.

3. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't see a problem with parts-forming. Would have been nice if ROTF Jetfire was a parts-former when combining with Prime.

4. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm ok with parts/shellforming, but I like just about everything about TFs.

Sure I'd like to see less unicron parts, but other than that, I'm good :D 

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I think that parts-forming is slightly too...easy, i guess.

While a combiner i would accept as needing more parts, a smaller figure shouldn't need to. I will, however, exclude weaponry, as long as they have a place to go in both modes, i don't care.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

My Cy-Kill is a partsformer and it's in the deluxe range.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    City Commander is great.
    Samurai Prowl is great.

There we go, a case for both.

There are plenty of shit partformers, but there are way more Transformers which are just shit.

As for combiners, if partformers were so hated I guess no-one would have bought the Superion appendage add-on kit.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can't compare 1970's/80's engineering to today's. But as a customizer (with less tools then say Takara), it's difficult to make a combiner that doesn't have extra points to form joints, feet, hands (and still make it aesthetically pleasing) but some people have done it using minimal partsforming (incorporating connection pieces into the figures). Sculptbot comes to mind. Looking at the many Devastator's for example. You got Devastator's with alot of connection pieces and some that had those pieces incorporated in the figures. And then you got some Mixmasters with the drum having to be moved (disconnected and reconnected to a different spot and removed altogether) when transforming to bot, veh, and leg modes. While other Mixmasters didn't have to have the drums removed. It's a feat of engineering if no partsforming can be accomplished but it's more difficult to figure out.

I think Hasbro/Takara throughout the years have determined that partsforming with today's engineering is a no no so you don't see too many figures today that partsform (in fact I can't really think of any that does since RID Omega Prime and maybe Powered Up ROTF Prime though I don't have it so I don't know but have heard it does somewhat?). Too bad they still can figure out a way to make a good combiner without partsforming. The Energon gestalts don't look that great and ROTF Devastator is pretty ugly (at least to me but that may be more to due to movie aesthetics).

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's one thing to minimize parts and another to just use them because it's easier (like said above) Sometimes (often) it's almost necessary. It's good practice to keep extra parts to a minimum.

Good example : Custom which the hood becomes a shield

Bad exmaple : Custom which arms/legs/head/hands/upper body all come apart and rearranged to form the alt mode.

10. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Partsforming isn't an instant death sentence. However, it does have the connotations of:

1) Future parts loss being much more likely, resulting in an incomplete toy;
    2) Toylines and play-processes other than Transformers, particularly things like Lego; and
    3) Laziness, corner-cutting, or time restrictions on the part of the designer, leaving the hanging question "If the design was skimped on here, where else am I going to find halfassery on this toy?"

Sometimes it can't be avoided, given budget and time restrictions on the part of the professional designers. For a fan design, though, there's really no excuse other than "I personally prefer partsforming." Leftover parts can always be redesigned away, whether by simply adding an extra joint or subtly altering the entire transformation scheme to accommodate them.

Personally, I consider that if a part absolutely has to come off during transformation, and its lack noticeably detracts from any mode or the transformation process, then the design really needs to be rethought.

Some things get in under the radar. Redesigns of G1 Omega Supreme, for example, are kind of grandfathered in. Designs where the part, if missing, doesn't have a major impact on the toy. Anything where one mode is physically in multiple parts (Duocons, Energon Omega Supreme, Magmatron, Overlord, Reflector etc)

Oh, and the original Prime's hands did come off for transformation, but his head didn't. It and the square panel it sat on flipped back 180 degrees until the underside of the panel formed the roof of the truck cab, and the robot head was upside down and backwards in the cab.

However, Powermaster Prime's super-mode head did come off for transformation (although his cab-robot head underneath it didn't). Likewise, G1 Ultra Magnus's super-mode helmet came off but the cab robot's head flipped around using the same G1 Prime mold.