Customs: Partsforming - For or Against?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by hXcpunk23, Jan 2, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Hey guys, just thought I'd start up a friendly topic that seems to pop up from time to time. I'd like to know your thoughts and reasons why you are either for or against this sort of thing. Keep in mind that G1 was comprised of a lot of partsforming and most of us who do customs do tend to lean toward excluding partsforming, I want to know when you feel it's OK to include it.

Personally, I have nothing against partsforming. I try my best to do all of my customs in a way to minimize any partsforming. But, I also feel there are times when partsforming is necessary to achieve certain aspects of a custom (perfect bot mode, alt mode, etc.). My first custom that I posted was a bit of a partsformer (Classics Ultra Magnus - toon style) and I'm still pretty proud of how it turned out. In a case like that, I felt it was ok to have certain parts removable to keep the alt mode mostly the same, while helping to achieve that perfect toon G1 look in bot mode.

I don't want this topic to explode into any sort of argument. I'd like to keep it civil and have everyone post their thoughts and opinions on it. I know the overall majority is leaning toward non-partsforming and I tend to lean that way myself. But I also understand the need to partsform on certain levels. I will say that I'm not a fan of bots that literally go into pieces to form alt modes or vice versa. Not to say I don't like the overall custom or look, just the execution of that particular type. Please share your reasons why you are for or against it.

I have a Brawn custom (from Universe Hound) that I've considered partsforming for a year and a half now (even though I know I can do it without partsforming), simply because it would give a better bot mode. The chest I've considered using is too large to fit under the alt mode on the crotch hinge. Instead of going all out and building a thin chest that would fit and work well, I'm thinking of partsforming it, just to give that bulky chest look that Brawn has (with a more updated look/feel). For me, I feel it would be OK to do this, even though I have that part of me saying "go non-partsforming". This is just an example from me.

And finally, if you do dislike partsforming, have you seen a custom that honestly looked great, regardless? I'd like to know what you think of customs that use partsforming and turn out great, even though you don't always agree with that way of doing things.

Remember, please keep things civil. This is more for discussion and pros and cons on this and why you support it or why you don't....and if you think good customs can be achieved with its use.

2. Dncmefrmpelican

Dncmefrmpelican TheWhiteCleaver

Against, I dont really mind it I just like challenges and partsforming is simple...

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

There is a certain extent to which I tolerate Partsforming. I simply don't like it when a figure has parts or accessories that don't go into at least one of their modes and are just "kibble" lying around. Animated Ratchet sorta annoys me in this respect because those tools simply don't go anywhere in alt. mode, so I have to keep careful track of where they are (usually in one of my collection's cubbies) or else I'll loose them, and I really don't like having incomplete bots if I can help it.

However, if all the parts removed can be used in the other mode(s), then that's okay by me. The Energon combiners are an example, as their hands and feet become the weapons for the individual limb bots.

4. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I have zero issues with partsforming as long as it helps the over all look & feel of the said custom.
    My Blitzwing was a good example of where I thought partsforming helped.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm generally against partsforming, and try to avoid it wherever I can. I will engage in it for the case of things like weapons and armour (like a multi-part set of Bludgeon armour I'm working on), but I don't like to have to remove parts of the actual robot to transform it. like Burnout, I definitely try to avoid having parts that don't fit or stash in one form or another; for instance, I'd rather a figure not have a gun if they can't incorporate it into their vehicle form (unless the gun is autonomous, natch ;) ).

But these are essentially self-created rules I apply to my toys, and I want my customs to act as toys, not just as display pieces.
    There are many customs that include partsforming that look awesome. Just because they don't conform to my rules of how I want my figures, doesn't take away at all from how good they are; they're designed to different criteria than my own.

6. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I haven't done nearly enough customs to comment really, but I don't mind partsforming, its a way to get around awkward engineering if it takes away from the fun of creating a good custom.

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never liked partsforming. I used to have these construction toys as a kid called Roadbots. They transformed by taking them apart.

I concede in some instances it is necessary but if so I'd like it to have some usage. Say any combiners limbs and such should be made into either another robot , base or something that makes sense. The one that bugs me is Warpath customs. They look great but the turret having to be removed seems odd to me. It's a minor thing and a nitpick but I can tolerate it though. I just wouldn't buy one. Major parts forming is for the birds though.

In the end it's whatever gets the job done for the needs of the customizer.

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Combiners are okay. You need Unicron and Primus for them.

Otherwise, I think I tolerate it when it adds a function/feature to the toy that wasn't there before. I designed my own WFC add on kits to parts form, and I allow it because of the need to both make the car look good, but also fit it onto an existing toy.

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think partsforming has its places. It'd be difficult to do armor/super modes with out parts forming.

10. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

This about sums up how I feel about partsforming.

11. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Animated ractchet is the prefect example of why i have a problem with this. i don't like loosing tiny pieces. The warpath comment is also somethign i agree with.
    having said that, I think it's okay overall. Full transformations are hard, and you sometimes have to make sacrifices to pull off what you want to do. the character is usually what people want the most, so thats where "cheats" can happen.
    You know what actually bothers me more when there is partsforming bots (like all the recent combiners) and they dont' show the extra parts when they're not being used. it may seem weird, but just give me a shot of all the extra parts. I wanna see whats going on there. :lol . I just think alot of times they could be put together and used as something else. i still haven't seen anybody use all the extra pieces for a devastator and make it into one of those construction trailers. always thought that'd be a elegant way of using everything.

Randy!

12. megatronatlas

megatronatlas Well-Known Member

I am ok with partsforming personally. especially since I have a project that i will be working on that may require partsforming...Like Blitzwing

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm okay with it.

14. Ninjabot411

Ninjabot411 Combiner

Partsforming really depends on the custom. I'm fine with armor or weapons partsforming if they stash in vehicle mode. However, attaching a giant cannon onto the roof of a sports car, doesn't really cut as "hidden". Once again, it depends on the custom.
    Personally, I enjoy the challenge. Engineering the toy so it doesn't shatter into pieces just adds to the accomplishment.
    All I can say is partsforming is fine as long as the pieces blend in, attach solidly, and the whole thing stays in the minimum possible number of parts.

15. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

wherent the cartoon characters partformers? cept they didnt worry about losin parts........ or did they?

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Half of the cartoon characters were outright shapeshifters - they didn't transform, so much as morph. :p 
    And yeah, those that did partsform didn't have to worry about losing bits, because they had their own subspace pockets to stash them in. ;) 

17. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I'm against. Partsforming makes no sense. If you were a giant alien robot, you would have serious structure problems if your doors detached from your body and became your arms. In the same way, having weapons that are part of your alt mode, but separate from your robot mode also doesn't make sense. Also, if you're a medium sized robot that can wear your trailer as armor, why would you ever not be wearing it? I think City Commander might be cooler for me if he just turned into an armored robot and a semi trailer, no partsforming. (AND, if you're a giant alien war robot, why would you even have hands? To open doors, knit, rescue humans? Why would you transform anyway?)

Still we're talking about toys and if it increases the play value or makes the robots look much cooler, you should do it. But transformers that don't transform or combiners that look like crap outside combined mode? Screw those. Anybody can make a pretty robot.

18. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I like TF's that are Partsformers.. such as RiD Optimus or G1 Ultra Magnus, Powermaster OP. Those are all toys you can really sit down at a nice table and enjoy playing with for a while.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    As long as all the parts have somewhere to go in all modes, I don't mind it even though I prefer when the figure is fully integrated with no partsforming.

20. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I won't say it depends on the custom as much as the character. But it is nice to see secondary parts used for something