Customs: Parts Hunting: How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

As customizers, where do you do the bulk of your parts searches? Do you rely on the Junk Pit, eBay, garage sales, "donations" from fellow kitbashers?

I have to say it's frustrating when you're looking for that one part to complete a custom and the only way you can get it is buying the entire figure.

Also, I thought I'd ask why there isn't a Junk Pit in Radicons. I realize we could use the Junk Pit in the exchange forum, but that's a mixture of customizers and people just looking to complete figures in their collection. Would it benefit us better if we had our own Junk Pit? That way, it'd be be easier to sort through.

Just a thought.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I rummage through your stuff when you aren't looking!:confused2 

I usually buy the figure, the way I see it if I can use one or two things, eventually I'll use it all!
    I do buy part lots on Ebay, but there usually has to be quite a few good pieces to justify the cost plus shipping.
    I also use whole (new or used) figures as a base for a character who might have an entirely different alt-mode, which leaves lots of greeblies leftover.
    I did luck out though, my oldest nephew is starting college and gave me a box of about 25-30 complete Gundams!!! Lots of hands, joints, weapons, you name it!:drool: 
    And I'm not against grabbing KOs or cheapies if they have some potential!

Great topic Shinobi! :thumb I don't know how we could regulate our own Radicon junk pit though!:cool: 

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hey BH /// Satomi, not shinobi...haha

Anyway, i agree and would love to see a sticky BST in Radicons. I have MANY parts which many of you could benefit from, but wouldn't get any interest in the main TFW BST section.

Supplies as well, such as repro's threads, casting threads, etc.

I often buy my part(s) from lots on ebay and various board BSTs. Many of time, I'll grab 10 loose broken/parts missing figures for very cheap prices.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

Doh!! *Facepalms* :eek: 

*ahem* Great topic Satomi!:lol :rolleyes2 

5. Satomiblood

Yea, I got 0 replies when I was asking for an Alternator Jazz head in the Junk Pit. Then Superquad7 said he'd hook me up with a cast of one. We're our own niche so we have a better idea of what we're looking for.

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I just buy a figure that has some of the parts i need, and disassemble the entire figure so i can use all the remaining parts for future projects.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah but after a while, you end up with 10 boxes of parts without homes. I typically do a "clean house" and throw most of it away /dodges tomatoes.

8. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed, it's frustrating when your trying to find just a head. most people out side of the Radicons don't even look twice at threads like that.

For the rest of my parts hunting I just wander aimlessly in any toys section looking at everything. I get weird looks for it alot of the time.

BTW, not to derail anything here. Anybody got a original BW Megs head ???
    I need 2.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    see NP, I might is he the dragon? send me a pic, I have many BW stuff that I will most likely toss into a box after Abominus.

10. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

as with everybody else i buy from ebay and the BST here. my strategy is a bit diff from hanks i buy the dirtiest ugliest lots i love the ones that are a huge pile of disassembled robots. i think i got a life time supply of g1 prime parts that way.

anyways those lots go for dirt and you get surprises in them

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Clearance sections, re-sale shops (like Salvation Army, Purple Heart) and friends that know you bash....instead of throwing away a "broken" toy, tell them to give it to you.

12. Satomiblood

I can't believe you just throw those parts away.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, after a 30 pound box of these parts sold for $21 on ebay and cost $29 to ship, I felt no one's after them. I would have loved to post that boxes contents in radicons.

14. Satomiblood

Do you still have them?

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The short answer to this thread is "anywhere". The Junkion Exchange is great as well as just talking to people on the board here. I've rarely gotten things from ebay, but that's simply a money issue for me. I've often been surprised by dollar and discount stores.

As far as B/S/T in Radicons, I'd like to say firstly that we're working on this (along with other things). In the meantime, the Junkion Exchange is where all threads of this nature need to go (save repro parts since they're indicative of customs). ebay links need to go in the ebay forum of TFW2005.com for the same reason (as well as Radicons not being a means to an end, as many artists in the last year have simply used Radicons for ebay sales traffic, which ain't cool). On that note, project threads will always just be about the project; sales threads have a specific place to go. :) 

16. Satomiblood

I think it'd be different from the conventional B/S/T trade. It'd essentially be our version of the Junk Pit, but with customizing in mind. I believe we have a better chance of helping each other out and knowing what parts we're specifically looking for than throwing it all into the Junkion Exchange. Don't get me wrong, Junkion Exchange is a great idea and offers people a chance to B/S/T outside of eBay.

I just think we need our equivalent of the Junk Pit in Radicons GD. Say you're working on a project and you need very specific parts. A fellow customizer might have that actual part without you having to break the bank on a new figure. I believe customizers have a better idea of project needs and understand that you have a budget.

Just a thought obviously.

17. Oculophage

Oculophage Likes shiny objects.

Ebay:
    So, if I drive up north and rummage thru your garbage, it's no problem, right?

:inquisiti 

18. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Again I completely agree with this, I would think it would be much more helpful to all Radicons then posting in the B/S/T trade forum.
    I for one have a bunch of parts I know I'll never use but posting them in the B/S/T would be pointless as most Non-customizers have no need for parts.

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I just never throw anything away. I have a huge box of random stuff I call my "bash Box", its around 30 gallons, I guess. I come up with a lot of my best ideas from just rummaging through it.

I like thrift stores, random garage sales and clearance sections where ever I go. I also stay in contact with a few of the guys here at TFW2K5.

And for some reason, random Hobby Shop clearance sections have some cool stuff, too, like old military or car models for dirt cheap.

20. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

man i have not been able to find anything in the resale shops in months it sucks. they used to be gold mines WTF.

anyways the junk pit i am sorry to say is a joke. the regular junkion exchange is one of my fav places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.