Paring down the collection for Life decisions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Kharnal, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

I've been seriously thinking about paring down and selling off parts of my collection and focusing it more on the toys I like as opposed to buying what I can get my hands on. This is being brought on by the fact that my wife and I want to buy a house this year, along with my wife and I going to Hawaii for a 1 year honeymoon, as we didn't have a real one last year when we got married. now as a footnote, my wife fully supports my hobby and is not asking me to do this. I have thousands of dollars wrapped up in my collection as do a lot of us who have several hundred TFs, and some of this investment could go a long way to helping with a down payment. I plan on keeping my G1's, alternators, classics and animateds along with random others that I do like. I do think though that most of my beastwars/machines, RID, armada, engergon, movie, and cybertron probably need to go. The money I can make from the sale of these should get us close to half the downpayment we will need for an FHA loan, and with the 8K credit that goes along with first time home purchases this year, I can always buy back any that I really would like to get back at next years tax time. So any one else ever sold off parts of or all of your collection to help out on lifes decisions?

2. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

I sold my 68 mustang to be able to get the downpayment for my house...
    A bit different, but a sting to the heart none the less...
    I understand!

3. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah done it a couple of times. Sold a ton of stuff in 2000, bought a new BMW which I blew up and scrapped and just collected it all over again.

Life is for living mate, do what you got to do and you can always get the stuff back in the future. On the bright side I got a lot of my stuff back cheaper anyway and i picked up new stuff too.

4. Optimus Kharnal

wow I would have had a hard time giving up something like a 68 mustang. a 60's mustang is one of those dream cars for me, that I know I'll probably never get but always want. I can understand how that was a sting to the heart.

5. FrankyWest

Well you know, it was a dream car to me also! But it's the same after a while, telling myself, i'll just get another one eventually.

But you know, I prefer by far, having my own place, than just having a nice car! Own place or transformers... own place

6. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

I'm a bit on the other side. Have an '02 4 dr civic and had wanted to upgrade to a beamer/something nicer, but am forgoing that so that i can just keep buying stuff i like comfortably. Am cutting out other stuff such as boba (tapioca drinks), new clothes, adding to my dvd collection, etc. in order to start up on these TF's again. And i'm far from being a completionist - i just feel that if i spend $50 here and there on tf's, i better cut out other crap during this time.

7. Optimus Kharnal

oh own place most definitely wins. especially here in Austin(Texas in general) where we haven't been hit nearly as hard as the two coasts so values were never too high and aren't losing too much value either(though values are down a little) :) 

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd sell my movie toys but I know for a fact I wouldn't get what I paid for them. Stuff that does appreciate in value is the same stuff I want to keep! :lol 

I'm scaling down on new purchases of movie toys and just sticking to finishing Henkei, Animated and the occasional other toy. And finishing off the last of the G1 I have yet to pick up.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Just curious to know how you are planning to sell so many TFs? I want to get rid of my BW, BM, and A/E/G toys and I don't know the quickest way to do it while still getting decent profit in return.

10. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

unless your selling rare toys there wont be much of a profit on those figures.

11. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

Hey this guy makes sense..if you spend money here, you will have to cut down on spending somewhere else. Budgeting is an excellent way to limit your expenditure, rather than buying things on the spot just because they are "new." Everything new becomes old and soon enough you wonder why you bought 150 worth of $20 transformers. Would you rather have an MP Grimlock instead of those Universe Stormclouds and Voyager Overloads?

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    LEOBREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's all i have to say to that........

13. FrankyWest

It all depends on priorities

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    For every Leobraker, there's a Mudflap.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i know how yoiu feel, i just sold my entire g1 collection off, i was only missing like 5 figures from 84-87, plus some japanese pieces like liokaiser, but i have a wedding to pay for, and my fiancee even told me not to

16. FrankyWest

the best way for a girl to get what she wants is to tell you she likes it, and that you can keep your toys :p 

17. Optimus Kharnal

right but when women give you your space and accept your quirks and hobbies, you are more open to cutting back on those things when the need arises

18. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Thanks dude, the only problem with my plan is, is that you compare what you coulda bought to what you're gonna buy. So, since i'm not getting a beamer, i'm always thinking, "eh, what's the harm in spending $50 here, and another $100 here" - then all of a sudden, two months down the line it's like...crap, i just blew a ton of money on plastic toys!!! I really need to learn some self control. I've told myself i'm done for now after getting all the uni/henkei figures that i wanted, but who knows.

19. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Happens all of the time my friend. At least you're smart enough to realize what is important in life. I'm in the middle of getting rid of a large chunk of toys in part because my wife and I are expecting our first child in October. Sure, I've bought a few things I've wanted for some time (G1 UK Thunderclash & Skyquake) w/ some of the money...but the majority of it is going in the bank to sit and hopefully grow.

Of the stuff you said you plan on letting go, most it will most likely be easily obtainable in the future if you decide to re-purchase some of those items.

Good luck w/ your endeavors!

20. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

You bet. I sold off my TRU reissues and my G1 MIB stuff. I recently sold off my Mustang to help get ready for baby thats coming our way.