Parents ... maybe they DO understand!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matty, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So me and my Momma are incredibly close; I am a Momma's boy through and through. Like most, when I graduated high school I bailed out of the house and went on my own. My Mom was heartbroken, but we've always stayed remarkably close. How close? One example, she toy hunts for me just because she knows it's something we can still bond over. The most recent haul:

[​IMG]

She has also found me a Vehicon, some TDKR Movie Masters, and many other figures over the years; AND she is always right by my side to go to BotCon every year! Do any of you guys have parents that not only support your choice of hobby, but also help participate in it as well? Show off your parent's hauls, stories, or anything else you'd like to share about your family participating in the hobby!

I just needed to share this :D 

2. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mother is very into the Transformers. Has been since G1 started. Though she can't keep up with what I have, she does sometimes "nose" through my recently arrived figures and suddenly I'll find figures missing and cash left behind. Those end up becoming birthday/christmas presents LOL! Also, whenever my mother borrows cash from me, I'm generally get paid back in the form of Transformers.

3. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mom doesn't really care as long as I'm not over spending to the point where my ability to pay for bills/food is in jeopardy. However, I'm married, so my wife makes sure I don't overspend, lol. She did once try to buy me a Transformer for Christmas a few years back. Sadly, it turned out to be an RC car that basically went from motorcycle to car modes, lol. Still, she did try, right?

My dad actually likes my collection. He's never actually bought me a Transformer, but he's put me in touch with lots of people at his job who are collectors and are selling some of their old figures. Managed to score a lot of my G1 and G2 figures thanks to my dad's coworkers.

4. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    My parents will sometimes grab a figure for me, but they don't really know what I want, so it's usually something random. I know they aren't too fond of my collection, though...

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My father hated it. He'd always go on about how I was wasting time and money on 'those damn Traarnsformerds'. My mother, however, was and still is awesome over my TF fandom. She bought me many figures when I was a kid, and also arranged with relatives for my birthday and Christmas presents so that no-one bought me the same figure or any I already had. These days though she can't remember which figures I've got because I have so many, but when my birthday or Christmas is coming up she'll always ask me if there's any particular figure(s) I'd like as my present.

My gran also used to support my collecting and when she lived with us would come home from town with a new figure for me. Often it was something I already had, but she was fine with me returning it for exchange or a refund. She went senile and fell out with my family though so she doesn't live with us anymore and as such doesn't give me anything now.

6. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is what my parents do as well. Although my Mom generally has a good idea of what is most recently out, she still has to ask around the holidays for which one I want.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Often I'll give her a list of half a dozen figures and she'll buy one or two off that list so it's still somewhat a suprise on the day as to which I'll actually get from her. And if I'm lucky she'll show the list to other relatives and they'll get me something off it too. Because of that I think one Christmas I got every figure I'd listed. That was a good Christmas. :) 

8. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

My folks were out "antiquing" one day and my Dad called me to ask if I he should pick up an old Optimus that "looks like brand new except someone stuck some Pepsi stickers on it". I asked how much and he said that he'd tell me when they stop to drop it off. Best $7.50 I ever spent...

My wife and kids pulled one over on me one fathers day and completely remodeled our master bathroom with transformers related items. Mainly wall decals & pictures, but also a red shower curtain and new stainless towel bars and other hardware. They even filled the shelf under the medicine cabinet with the entire line of DotM Burger King Kids Meal toys...

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I love it when that kind of thing happens. My sister bought me home some 'robot thing' she'd spotted in a charity shop window. When I looked in the bag it was a complete Armada Unicron (well, he didn't have his yellow missiles, but he did have his chest missile) with seven or eight MiniCons stuck to his various pegs. She paid £2 for it.

It pays to make sure people know you collect Transformers because it gives you extra sets of eyes to spot cool stuff you yourself might not be around to find.

It's always nice when someone arrives at my house with a box or bag and says 'You collect robots, yes?'. :) 

10. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

My parents didn't get me Transformers unless it was my birthday or Christmas. I got a $5 dollar a week allowance plus whatever dollar bills I could get from my Grandparents. Back in '84 I was able to get the entire G1 line up in about 5 months. A forum member claimed that I must have been "well off". Nope. Cars were $7.99, jets were $11.99 etc., nowhere near as expensive as now.

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My mom unfortunately passed a few years ago, but she was a big supporter of my collection. As a child she knew how much I cherished my G1 collection...they were clearly my favorite toys. I had been married, had a child and living on my own and my mom boght me a Beast Wars Magnaboss that sparked my 1200+ collection that I have today. My mom did see my collection room before she died and she loved it and she would buy me Transformers for Christmas every year. I miss you mom.

12. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I'm proud to say my Dad is a massive comic book "nerd." We have a special room in our basement called The Batcave that's full of his comics and action figures. Many of them were from when he actually owned his own comic book store!

He got me into superheros from a young age, and he was the one that bought me my first two Transformers-RID Mirage and Ironhide.

13. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's really awesome to hear your Mom had a chance to see your collection room Doc. I'm getting all choked up man.

14. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing says I love you like a Bumblebee repaint!

15. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

My mom supports my hobby of collecting. She tries as hard as she can to get interested in it, though fumbling on herself when she forgets names & such, but I love that she embraces it! Whenever its Christmas or my birthday she insists that I give her a list so that she can go out & find what i want. The different names, size classes & lines confuse her, but she does very well for a Mother:lol  Always making sure to get exactly the right one & feeling sorry if she gets the wrong one. Its so cute, & I just love that Im lucky enough to have a parent that cares so much about my interests. :D 

16. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Veteran

News Credits:
    My father always supported me up until he died back in 2005. I always have to good memories of hunting with him. I'm gonna have new display cases built before the year's up and I even have a "In Memory" plaque made for the cases for my dad.

17. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I was thinking something similar, but when you think about it, if unless she called ahead of time to see just what he was looking for to add to his collection, she wouldn't know bb is the most disregarded figure among collectors. My wife knows I have no interest in bumblebees right now, but she still doesn't pick out any without me because my collection spectrum is varied. Pretty much what looks good to me.

18. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    You bought a tear to my eye thats so sweet! My parents will buy figures for christmas and my birthday but any other time I would have to ask them to get some for me and I would pay them back

19. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's an honest mistake since she also picked up a vehicon for him.

20. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My parents doesn't care about money, that I spend on the purchase of Transformers, the father, however, was horrified when he learned that I bought the Jetwing Prime, but he did not scold me. All this money I earned myself.
    Father traditionally goes to the cinema with me to the new Transformers movie, because for the first time in 2007, we were together (first time I was in Moscow and came to the university, so I was with father). This time, he steadfastly endured, when I cried after the death of Ironhide.
    My mother thinks that I give a lot of time to Transformers, but generally refers normally even knows the names of all TFs from my small collection.