Parents just don't understand...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SegaGenesis, Jan 18, 2010.

1. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I was 3 years old in 1984, and as I got older and starting liking the show and toys more it frustrated me that around christmas time my parents would buy me either the wrong toy or something I didn't want that much in the first place. The most troublesome to me was that I was never able to finish any gestalt as a kid. One year I even received 4 Bruticus limbs but no Onslaught. I also had Dirge, but no Starscream. The absolute worst was getting the Gobot Staks instead of Optimus Prime. Basically as a kid my Transformers collection consisted of Grimlock, Bumblebee, Nightbeat and a bunch of also-ran's and gestalt limbs. Since I was a little kid at the time it was very rare for me to pick a Transformer out myself, and usually it was only a minibot. On the plus side I did get Powermaster Optimus Prime for Christmas, so my parents weren't always bad at picking toys I liked.

Anyone else get bizzare or wrong-headed Transformers as a child? I know those Jumpstarters weren't jumping into shopping carts by themselves...

2. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    i remember for my 5th or 6th birthday i got 5 optimal optimus' (the orange one) from different relatives...i already had one 5 months before my birthday. xD...

3. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Lucky! o_O 

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Over Christmas my grandparents got me the Power Bots Devastator. They had their heart in the right place and all, and I thanked them, but they understood when I told them it didn't transform and such.

5. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I thought this was the thread for that Will Smith song... darn.

Anyways, when I used to get TFs as gifts, I always got to choose them. So really, I never got a bad gift :) 

6. Heat Blast

Heat Blast Laserbeak's Stunt Double

Got the Tonka 1-2-3 fire truck instead of RiD Prime for Xmas...

7. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I love my parents and the rest of my family. They've always known better than to buy me Transformers, because they KNOW they don't have a clue which ones I have. I've always either got to pick the ones I wanted or I was just given giftcards. :D 

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

A little late to be bitchin about parents not getting you the exact toy that you wanted, don't ya think (I'm kidding, of course)? Honestly, I can't remember the majority of the toys that I had as a kid cause I pretty much played with every single action figure line made in the 80s and early 90s. As long as it looked awesome, I wanted one. I just know that my parents wasted a lot of money on my toy obsession, and i thank them for spoiling me so.

9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Sounds to me like the OP was pretty fortunate as a kid. Hell, I would have killed for a Staks back then, especially with the trailer.

I asked for TF gestalt limbs and got Hot Wheels instead.

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    By the sounds of it you didn't deserve any of it.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    My parents never really bought me any TF's when I was a kid. Save except for my mom who went to Japan in 1992 for work and bought me Victory Star Saber! Bless her heart! :D  :cry 

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Holy fucking shit. This is the worst tale of child abuse I've ever heard. People bought you toys they thought you'd like? Goddamn those bastards! Who the fuck did they think they were, buying you a Transformer that wasn't quite the one you really wanted? Tell us who these people were and we'll track them down, then hammer nails into their genitals. I can't even imagine the trauma of being given Staks. What the hell were you supposed to do with a truck that turned into a robot? Didn't they know you collected Transformers, not transforming robots? Ignorant bastards.

13. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Being born in 1989, I was growing up in the aftermath of Generation 1 when all the people that loved it as kids were selling their figures on at car boot sales and such. The toyline of the moment was G2 back then and where I am in Britain, there never seemed to be all that many on the pegs. As such, every Sunday around the car boot sales my Mum and my Grandparents usually bought me one or two things that had caugth my eye. Granted, as a result of all of my Generation 1 figures from my youth being bought second-hand, they are seriously incomplete and really rather badly damaged. As a kid, though, they were brilliant! Of course, there were a couple of disappointments along the way. I distinctly remember having to put down a complete Powermaster Prime and a complete Megatron at around the age of six because my Mum didn't have that much money back then (Dad left before I was born and she had given up a job to care for me). Also, one Christmas I had asked for Optimus Prime and ended up with Kup. But that wasn't so bad as I always liked Kup in the 1986 movie. All in all, I had a pretty bloody good childhood in terms of TF toys.

I went digging through my things the other day and found three Ultra Magnus figures in various states of disrepair, four Dinobot (all but Swoop), a Galvatron, Hun-Grr, Rodimus Prime, a turetless Blitzwing, and Weirdwolf and Mindwipe sans their Headmasters. These are not bad things to have as a kid in the early 1990s.

14. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Hell, I was lucky to have what little I did have.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

My aunt got me the Gobot Puzzler set in '87. She knew what was up.

16. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents gave up on giving me presents very quickly and switched to giving me money. I hope to do the same with my kids one day.

17. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and by the sounds of that u deserve a thousand wheelies

18. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    My parents know nothing about Transformers. They don't buy me anything unless I explicitly say I want it and thoroughly describe it.

When I was a kid I got a few random ones I didn't ask for, but they knew I didn't have them and I didn't make any specific requests for something else.

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    My mom always gave me the coolest toys, like the first edition Dx Voltes V combiner, Dx Daimos, etc. :) 

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    my dad knows more about transformers than most parents do (he bought for my half-brother during g1 and for me bw thru) so he knows good stuff when he sees it, he knew fort max was something but didn't know what (it wasn't till i started to have a huge spazam that he knew he had to get it asap). i will never get dissapointed by getting the wrong transformer, hell anything that is transformers related i'll take with glee, including gobots, i love me some gobots.....i got only road ranger and i love that little bastard, oldest toy i own (1983)....now back in the day during RID i wanted sideburn, but we couldn't afford the deluxe so my parents let me get the spy changer two-pack......daytonus was lost to my "take things apart and try to rebuild" phase but i still have that spychanger sideburn, oldest remaining transformer of my younger years.....i loved the hell out of that thing, still got all of it, gun and body, heck i still got daytonus' gun and chest/hood around here somewhere haha and my headless hightower, after that i started to be able to afford armada toys and the rest is history