parents just don't understand...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I try to explain to my parents what i can about their computers. but i think they are stuck in this notion that it is well past the year 2005 and well, damnit, since we don't have flying cars, we should have awesome computers.
    take my mom- she hears about a dual core pc and thinks that should mean the HP should be psychic.

Honest Injun, she bought a computer last month that had a core 2 duo and has already taken it back to the store- she said it was too slow.
    before you take her side, you ought to know what she does on her machine:
    1. She has about 90 things running simultaneously in the system tray/task bar at all times. She has about 6 things up and running on her vista sidebar.
    2. She is still using corel draw! 4. (from 1994.)
    3. Online, all she does is play yahoo games or pogo

told her to empty that first part and she'd be surprised. nope.

she has 3 gigs of ram, has a 256 mb video card has a 360 gb hdd, and IIRC, her processor should be a 2.4ghz. Core 2 duo! and it is too slow?

other things my folks don't understand:
    torrents. she thinks that stuff magically appears when you DL it- not aware of the S/L thing.

POGO's tuesday shutdowns- why are they shut down? Maintenance. why would they need that?

Why can't (insert file extension here) print? um, you can't print a .cbr file like that....

Wireless- helped dad put in a linksys router...why do i need a wire if it is wireless? (you don't have a wireless LAN card in there, dad.)

just a few examples. any of you got parents who think outrageous things that you have to explain to them or correct them about?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I deal with this every day for a living. There are just some people that should not own a computer.

Lady called today, said she couldn't get her email in Outlook Express. Had her read me the message, something about "corrupt file", so that tells me right there, that there's something wrong with her OE. But of course she doesn't believe me, so I had to tell her several times to call a shop or Microsoft.

Then there was another lady "I have a virus on my computer and can't get rid of it" So? What do you want me to do about it? We're your ISP, not a repair shop.

And don't even get me started on fucking POGO :throw 

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    will smith? is that you?

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Get Jiggy with it

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My mom is ok with a computer. Still have to show her how to do stuff from time to time, but my dad has never had to operate a modern computer in his life. He can't work a mouse or do any typing. It is so sad.

I know a good bit of basics and can operate programs, install stuff (when it installs properly) and things like that. I can hook stuff up and things like that. More advanced stuff like programming I don't get. But I know plenty to get by.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Wow. I don't think my mom has heard the word torrent in her life.

My parents were freaked out when I brought my wireless router to their house over Thanksgiving so I could do some work. They thought it would break their internet.

7. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

your parents are complete opposites of mine lol

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

pogo? POGO!?
    after working for 5 years as a cable internet tech all i can think of is this...
    "we don't support pogo, that's not our website"

9. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my mom kinda "listens" to people...as in she hears bits and pieces and takes the parts that she likes and uses it. she heard my bro-in-law talk about torrents and now she wants a torrent client set up on her machine.
    and she still doesn't comprehend it.

me, torrents are more headache than helpful.

but gawd, the things my folks say.

Today, dad called me and told me he couldn't get online. i said, ok...what did you do? nothing, he said. i said, tell me everything you did...
    turned on computer. 0k.
    you left your thing plugged in the front of my computer, so i took it out. ummm, what thing?
    that thing that you carry songs and your stories on.
    i have that here on my desk.
    so what did i do?

Dad unplugged his router/adapter.

gotta love the techno-crippled.
    lol.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

My mom will ask how to do something on her computer and I'll show her how. The very next day she won't remember. Sometimes she forgets that she even asked me at all.

11. rattrap007

News Credits:
    that is the way with my mom weirdwolf. But down the road when were are old we won't know how to do crap and out kids will be the ones rolling their eyes and showing us how crap works..

12. KidDynamite

This thread reminded me of this story on The Onion a few years ago. Classic.

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt it. We are the first generation to have grown up with technology and to get to grips with better versions as time goes on, I predict we will still be able to use technology but some people will still fail to comprehend what the caps lock button does.

14. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    look at Youtube and be amazed. not amazed at Youtube, but what Youtube contains.
    30 years ago, the only way you could edit home movies was with a pair of scissors and tape and hope it looked good. (8mm film....)
    25 years ago, you could edit video by jury rigging 2 massive VCRs and juggling the pause/play buttons - only to get crappy, jumpy edits.
    1992 or so, You could spend less than 10 grand and have a computer that could run laps around your local tv affiliates (thanks Video Toaster!)
    now, we got kids- kids, damn it- who master Windows MovieMaker, then talk their parents into Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas and now edit well enough to get summer jobs at the local tv stations.

this generation was smart enough to know that they'd have to dummy down the new technology so that tech savy kids would want it, and second, that our parents could eventually figure it out.
    (not exactly dumbed it down- it is still complex, but the programming does all the work and the GUI makes it easier for the people to use.)

well, they got it half right. dad is still trying to figure out some things....
    although, i do give him props for having the brains to ask me when i was installing FSX, "if it is plug and play, why is it taking almost an hour to put it in?"

15. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Why is this thread not about this?

Seriously though, my parenst know dick all about computers. Makes me wonder if I'll be the same when I get older....though, I figure I'll be keeping up-to-date on tech throughout my years.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    when were old our kids will scold us for goofing around with the particle transporters and matter rearrangers and whatnot.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My dad turns his computer off all the time.
    I suppose that is not necessarily a bad thing, except when they call me over to help them do something on their computer, and I go downstairs to get a sandwhich or something, come back up and find the computer is off.
    "Oh, I thought you were done."

And when I say he turns it off, I mean he turns everything off. Even though his BIOS shuts down the monitor, he pushes the switch.
    He even turns off his DSL NID.

This isn't parent related, but my sister-in-law got a new MP3 player.
    I made her a CD with some MP3s on it and she thought that if she put it in her computer it would somehow magically jump to the MP3 player.

I copied the stuff to her 'My Music' and explained to her that all the music on her MP3 player comes from that folder.

But there was a complete disconnect -she just didn't get it.

18. KidDynamite

No we're not. We're the first generation to grow up specifically with personal computers in the home and in schools. EVERY generation grows up with technology in a broad sense that their parents didn't have, at least dating back a couple hundred years when technological advances really starting taking off. But I'm sure even Ogg the caveman couldn't figure out fire to save his life and had to call his son Ugg over to the cave every day to make it for him.

What I'm saying is that you can't limit "technology" exclusively to PCs. I'm confident there will be advances in our lifetimes that we'll be uncomfortable with because we are too old when they become commonplace, too set in our ways to learn the new way of doing things, and we'll have to have our kids or grandkids patiently explain something that is patently obvious to them that we just don't get. It's inevitable.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

well i think we should all prepare for the day we run out of oil, no 'lectricity means no intarwebz or ipods for people to try and understand.

20. rattrap007

News Credits:
    But then Al Gore will save us with "alternative" means of producing clean efficient energy..