Parents and Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Where parents back then got used to and and starting to get fed up with the whole Transformers thing cause that's what their kids would talk about? And even when parents would go to the stores i am sure they got used to of being asked Mom Dad can i have new Transformers toy? but but i dont have him. Kids being all hyped up about it as parents i am pretty sure they were getting annoyed. What do you think?

2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I think, once again, that I have no idea what you just said.

But going on your title, you're asking about how the 'rents put up with the hobby?

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think you should take a break from starting threads if this is what you're asking now.

4. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    Being a parent myself it does not bother you in the slightest what your child is into if anything it give's you more of a choice to buy thing's for birthdays and christmas

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Parents just don't understand.

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Back in the 80s Transformers was just one toyline in a sea of awesome so I wouldn't say parents viewed it as "that one thing" that made their kids toy crazy. GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, M.A.S.K., etc etc ad infinitum.

I do have one memory of annoying the shit out of my dad until he took me to spend some birthday cash. I bought a twin twist, but got disappointed with it when I got home and realized it wasn't a "real Transformer" lol.

7. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    My parents only have one problem with my collecting of Transformers toys; that I spend too much on them and forget to save up for more important things ie. Birthdays, Christmas, Snake food etc.

Which I get. That's not to say I never have the money for those things, but most of my money does go towards buying more toys. I think my parents just want me to spread my costs evenly, so that way I can still collect and also get the necessaries when I need them.

But yeah, other than that they don't mind my collecting. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go save up for Christmas presents.

8. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

As a parent im happy to get my lil girl any barbie she wants. Just as long as she does what shes told, like clean up her room ,do her homework,behave etc. Just as i was rased

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    When I first saw this thread title, I thought it read, "Parrots and Transfomers" and I thought, "hrm, I wonder if parrots would attack TF toys due to their color and occasional shininess?". Then I though, "At least it's not another "Parents and Transformers" thread.

but I was wrong...

I kind of want a "Parrots and Transformers" thread now...

10. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think if you read the thread title on completely ignore everythign written in the 1st post, you'll be fine.

12. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

this. although, for now it bugs me a bit that she likes the boxes more than the actual toy.

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

When I was a kid and wanted a Transformer for Christmas, my aunt couldn't understand why I wanted a transformer. She was thinking I wanted that thing you plugged into the wall or something along that line. She was not aware of the awesome transforming robots.

Then when she saw what my parents got me, she understood.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Geez guys it's not that bad. You can get the gist of what he's trying to say. Here's what I made out of it:

Kids are pretty much going to be annoying in some way to their parents no matter what. If/when I do have kids, if they end up liking tf's that's cool, but they may end up liking pokemon as well which I don't give 2 shits about. Would them talking about pokemonz 24/7 annoy the crap of me? Hell yes. But it's something they like and they're just trying to express their interest in it.

Shit, when I get together with my parents nowadays I still tell them about recent stuff I've picked up, show them my collection when they come over, and probably still annoy the crap out of them with tf talk even being 30 now :lol  So I guess what I'm saying is it's just natural for kids to annoy their parents in some way, don't think it has to just do with transformers. But it's not intentional, they're just expressing their interests to their parents.

15. matmurdock

matmurdock Well-Known Member

My Grandson and I go toy shopping quite iften. He's 7 and will randomly call asking to find him a toy. Currently he is loving Green Lantern and I am sure will be turning his attention to Transformers....again soon. He never annoys me when he talks about wanting this or that.

16. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    1984 "Those things are a fad, you'll loose interest soon enough"

1988 "Transformers have been around for years, why are you still interested in them?"

2011 "This is because we didn't buy you all the toys you wanted as a kid isn't it?"

17. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you. I remember my parents telling me when I was old enough not to believe in Santa Claus anymore how hard it was to find Transformers at times during the holidays. The would have to drive around to a few different Toys R Us, Playworld and even Kay Bee Toys to find the ones my brother and I wanted. Heck they still remember a few of them. They don't remember then by name, but they remember the figure.

18. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

My 8 year old is into TF and it's awesome. I am reliving my youth with him. He got about $50 from his grandparents for straight A's. He wants to go to TRU and buy Seninel Prime for me. Kind of brings a tear to my eye. I tell him to buy it for himself and we can play with it together. We have built up a collection the last few years.

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    How can you disagree with something that is my own personal experience? Were you experiencing my life as well? I guess I should have typed MY parents as opposed to just parents, but I honestly didn't anticipate having to defend the validity of my childhood experiences. Everyone experiences life differently. It's not a disagreement, just a difference in our experiences. I swear some people on this board just want to be contrary about shit that isn't even disputable.

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uh, I'm still not exactly sure what this post means. But piecing together the thread title and other responses, I'll take a guess.

I'm a parent, and pleased that my little one likes TF. It's a generation-bonding experience. I don't know if it's just a fad, and he'll grow out of it soon, we'll see.