Parents and Television?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, May 28, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

How boring are your parents when it comes to television? My Dad hardly likes any of the stuff I watch, and I don't like any of the stuff he likes. He is nearly all educational and calls "entertaining" stuff mindless and what not.
    He enjoy's watching documentaries on the Military channel and really boring history stuff.

Yea, I appreciate the educational factor, but come on Dad, watch something exciting! What about you guy's? Are your parents boring TV viewers, or are do you enjoy watching TV together?

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    My Dad refuses to watch 'adult' cartoons like the simpsons. To him Cartoon = Kids show.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    My mom usually loves the stuff I watch, like Burn Notice, Monk, The Office, and even Doctor Who, which I was surprised by. Didn't think she'd like Who that much.

4. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

My dad likes watching Indy and golf and my mother likes shows done by the woman who created Poirot (can't remember her name).

Boring is realitive.

Your parent's are probably between 15-40 years older than you. Of course they'll have different interests.

5. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

I like the stuff my parents watch.

6. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    My parents generally like alot of shows I like such as Lost, The Office, 30 Rock, Community, Parks and Recreation, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc. But they, er my mom, also really likes Crime dramas like Law and Order: SVU and others. They don't really get into some shows, mostly sci-fi, that I like such as Firefly or Fringe. They also don't really care much for cartoons (besides Gargoyles, which my mom and grandma love) but they've watched some episodes of Justice League with me and were quite shocked by how sophisticated a cartoon can be, specifically the "Savage Times" episode that deals with World War II

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wacthed TV alone. But my mother saw the ocasional episode of Angel with me.

8. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mom likes Fashion. Dad likes Hockey. I perfer any kind of Motorsports, but don't have cable.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    dad watches golf, mom watches HGTV and cooking shows..

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    My mom and I watch similar shows, same with dad, but we all like different stuff to.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Agatha Christie

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

My dad likes to watch the History Channel. He loves vampire movies with Blade and From Dusk til Dawn being a particular favorites of his. Other than that, he really only likes to watch LSU sports.

My mom loves The Young and the Restless, the shopping channel with Sue, and movies like The Family Stone and The Devil Wears Prada.

Overall though, I wouldn't say their tastes are really that different from mine. Other than Cartoons that is.

13. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Back when Beast Wars was on, my mom was the one to introduce me to it. I had no interest in it because I didn't like the whole animal robot thing after G1. She later bought the dvd sets for Beast Wars and Beast Machines for herself.

14. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    my dad and i watch ben 10, generator rex, doctor who, mythbusters, battle force 5, top gear, family guy, simpsons, any tf show, and most scooby doo shows.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

We generally watch just about the same shows. We watch a lot of History Channel, Game Show Network, and RFD-TV mostly.We used to watch a lot of the classic TV shows on TV-Land, shows such as M*A*S*H and The Andy Griffith Show.

But I'm surprised that my parents will watch NCIS and Star Trek episodes on re-runs that my brother and I typically watch.

16. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

What is Television?

I know, I know..... Google it.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "boring history stuff?"
    There's more adventure, drama and Epic Moments of Awesome in History than any 20 anime shows or 20 big budget films combined.
    and the epic part is the fact someone actually did it- not someone made it all up.
    300 was a popcorn movie based upon an exaggerated comic...but the fact remains the battle of Thermopylae was one of the epic battles of all time.
    Real or Imagined. Period.

what is boring is relative, most definitely.

my dad likes Investigation Discovery. but the problem with me is that he watches it all day long.
    i don't find criminal justice or the legal system boring, i like forensics. but 12 hours of the "shock and awe" that those news shows milk out of the crimes and the drama wears me out. 12 hours of overly descriptive accounts of rape, sodomy, kidnapping, murders...it's mentally damaging.

i like a wide variety of tv- Antiques Roadshow (PBS) to Holmes on Homes (HGTV), i like to step away from formulaic scripted shows, but avoid semi-scripted reality shows entirely.

I am terrible with cars- couldn't tell you where the spark plugs were on my car- but on weekend mornings i watch Spike and Speed to see how those guys work on cars.
    it's a learning thing.

in the long run, my parents eventually agree with me on a few shows. it's enough to keep the fights over the tv down.
    (still miss Hee-Haw with the grandparents, though.)

18. Tigertrack

Don't get me wrong, there is some good history out there that I enjoy watching. I just don't care for a lot of the military-history stuff.
    I enjoy watching UFO Hunters on the History channel, but my dad thinks it's B.S. I don't believe or disbelieve in UFO's, but I do find them fascinating.

19. Tigertrack

Does your Dad comment on every "questionable" thing in the movie?
    What I mean is, my Dad is such an aviation buff, private pilot, knows a ton of airplane stuff, but every time we see a movie where an airplane is doing something "odd", or whatever, he always says "Yea, right". Or, "Wrong!" It gets annoying when know-it-all's have to comment on certain bit's of the movie. It's entertainment, let it go..............
    Anybody else have this problem?

20. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ... you know soap opera's actually aren't that bad ^^....................yeah

but Despite that my parents and i have our diffrence in shows but We still enjoy some of the same things

LOST,big bang theory,Myth busters,dirty Jobs,...