Parcelfarce handling fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, May 1, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So yesterday I received a letter from parcelforce, claiming I owed customs and handling charges for a shipment from bbts. The VAT is fine, stings a little but it's legal.

The handling fee, however, is not. I'll be calling on Tuesday to pay the VAT and tell them I do not wish to pay the handling fee, and that holding my parcel in lieu of a ransom is illegal under subsections 83 and 84 of the 2000 postal act, and if they don't like it they can invoice me for the fee later.

What I was wondering is, is there anything further I need to add to the above argument? I've read people do this all the time but beyond what's above I generally didn't find anything in any more detail.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I've been wondering too. Can you post the results here? :)  Has anyone actually been further contacted by them to pay the handling charges?

3. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Nothing you can do, although the regulations say one thing customs and excise say another, parcel force will also hold and retain your parcel unless you the pay the fee and will then return it back to sender if said fee isn't paid.

The regulations indeed say that it's not legal but there are loads of loopholes and parcel force have actually paid your customs fee for you upon the item entering the country and reserve the right to recoup costs within a reasonable boundary which is where the handling fee comes in, this in turn throws up the legal side of the issue which would require you seeking the advice of a solicitor which in turn would amount to a hell of a lot more than the handling fee, in short they have you over a barrel.

It sucks balls and trust me I've argued with them until i am blue in the face but at the end of the day they have your goods and don't have to give them to you unless you pay up :( 

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    But I've read how people have gotten their parcels by telling them that they'll only pay the tax and for them to give you the invoice for the handling fees?

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ Well if Master Blaster does indeed try this, it will be interesting to hear how it turns out. I guess it's how well educated/stubborn the Parcelforce employee he gets on the day is.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah I run into this was carriers like Canada Post all the time, if it was like a $2-3 processing fee or something I could understand, but $10-15 per package is ridicules. I'm sure it's a lot worse in the UK though so I feel for you guys.

7. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have done some reading of this over the last few months. I have not tried this myself, and I cant verify any of it, but common knowledge states....

You need to go to the depot. You then say that you will pay the import tax but that you want a seperate invoice sent to you regarding the administration fee. Some depots will argue, some will simply shrug and hand over your parcel.

The logic goes that Parcelforce are legally not allowed to hold a parcel with the import tax paid on it, as all national fees have been paid. Many people are then sent a seperate invoice. Almost all ignore it. Parcelforce would most likely lose any legal action beyond a small claims court..... but it mysteriously never goes that far.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Tagging this just because I'm interested.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The problem with this part is, if you don't pay the fee, they won't continue to hold it, they'll just return to sender (is my guess). That's probably how they get out of giving you your parcel without breaking any laws.

10. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I dont think that they can do this either. You have paid for the item, the shipping and the import tax. Any additional fees are not agreed on shipping and therefore cannot get in the way of you getting your parcel. I havent checked this out, but I would believe that holding up a parcel after all agreed fees have been paid would be 'illegal'.

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They do have quite a tight grip in this case, since they've actually taken the parcel all the way to the York depot! So I can't actually go in and argue over the counter, forced to do by phone or online where they hold all the cards.

I'm about to ring them so we'll see how it goes, but I'm not hopeful. Thieving bastards.

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, that was short! Basically, they rattled the same old bullshit about subsection 89 and the 1969 postal act, and told me if I wanted to discuss it further to come to the depot.

And of course, since the depot they're holding the parcel in is in a different city, it'd cost me similar to the clearance fee to actually go over there and argue with them!

So sadly, they win this round. But never again will I send a parcel to my university home where they can pull this bullshit. I'll send it to my parent's address where the parcelforce depots are much closer and I can actually go in to argue.

In short::

It is possible to get out of the clearance fee, BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN GET TO THE DEPOT TO ARGUE IT.

Over the phone they hold all the cards, and there's nothing you can do.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  Wow, that sucks.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bastards simply wouldn't discuss it over the phone, and there's nothing I can do from my location. The first and last time they get away with it though.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Parcelfarse are a bunch of thieving c*nts in my opinion. They've stung over £30 in "handling charges" from me in the last month.
    Still, at least they let you know in advance; UPS don't even do that. We had a parcel arrive from the US that UPS picked up, and they told us about their "charges" when they delivered it. To make it even worse they couldn't even accept a credit card payment, not even when I called their office to complain; they would only accept cash. Assholes.

16. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah. This is the problem, and they know it. If you pay online or via phone using the automated system, you cant change the payment amount, which I am sure is on purpose. The only way to fight this is to go to the depot, which is the first filter. To me, this just screams that they know that they cant actually do this legally.

17. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised nobody's ever reported these couriers to crimewatch =|

@Draven-- yeah, the courtesy of being told to grit your teeth before being ass-fucked is a nice touch :lol  UPS just sound like they've taken up daylight robbery, who's to say the guy in the van isn't just keeping the cash!?

18. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter: