Paranoid :( - This is a long one

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by linthart, May 20, 2009.

1. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys.

Im a little paranoid right now so i'm going to start a little bit of a yellowing thread for what i'm sure is the millionth time.

I've been designing my new place for months now and more specifically, my personal living room collection room (its going to be a sharehouse).
    The floorplans are changing on a constant basis due to the purchasing of furniture etc and the ever changing ideas of how the display my pride and joys; my maximuses.

I've been toying around with the idea for about 6 months of having a plexiglass display case made so that i could see them in full view after i've decided i ultimately dont like having them in my current(ly dismanteled) ikea cabinet as i cant see them side on and makes them look a little more cooped up and smaller than they really are

[​IMG]

one benefit was that i had mounted LED lights into the door frame which looked amazing at night without damaging the toys directly.

Since the sale of my home (finally!) i've started to bring my toys back from storage and the first ones to come back were my maximuses.

I've currently got Brave out and about perched upon a Detolf containing my movie collectibles and i love how he looks just out upon a pedestal. Just so massive and overpowering.

so here is where my concerns begin.

i'm not a fan of open storage like bookshelves.
    what ever was not in the glass cabinet above was stored in:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This matches the glass cabinet above and can be closed when i'm not around minimizing dust etc.

I've also decided i paid way too much money for better quality boxes not to also display them beside/near the toys themselves. i love the look of them too but its doubled my storage requirements.

My dilemma is yellowing paranoia. i love the look of brave in the open and would love to mount a shelf almost the entire length of the main wall just so i can stand each toy next to his box.

Dust is another fear of mine but i may be able to get over that.

The shelf wont be in direct sunlight but it is between 2 windows on the same wall with aluminium blinds. Windows tinting is not an option because the wired security glass is not flat. i'm thinking of putting a plexiglass panel infront of the glass to act as a UV filter.

But if i get the windows sorted then i'm still worried about my lights.

I know that realistically there is nothing i can do about yellowing apart from a lead air tight vault but i think i'd cry if my bone white grand max yellowed

Lighting will be surface mounted CCFL energy saving light bulbs approx 1.5 meters diagonally from the shelf (shelf would be 2/3's up the wall)

In your opinions, am i simply asking for it?
    should i shell out for a custom acrylic case and forgo the prospect of wall mounting.

The custom case will cost anywhere from $300+ and will only hold the toys, not the boxes.

just thinking of doing something like whats pictured below but on a much larger scale
    [​IMG]

Has anyone here had a fort max yellow before their eyes?

how do people display their braves and fort maxes?

How do you protect your toys?

what should i change the lighting too? LED is impractical for room lighting at this stage.

my other option is the buy a second glass case like above and whave 2 in one and a single in the second cabinet and install my lighting again
    which would be healthy in order to validate those cabinets more (dont really need shelves that deep and wish i could get rid of them but they cost me almost $600AU)

I'm going out of my mind during this long long wait until my room is finished and i can start trying things out so in the meantime i've only got my thoughts and my floorplans.

cheers guys

Lint

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Just make sure that there's a film or something that will block UV light over your glass, if yellowing is an issue. People seem to be pretty sure UV rays cause the yellowing reaction now.

3. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah i definately intented do cover my windows with something to filter out the UV but what about room lighting. do 'energy saving' light bulbs have a high UV output?

has anyone ever seen a nice cover/diffuser that will filter UV?

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing lasts forever, bro. ;) 

However, it never hurts to take care of what ya got for as long as you can. :)  Regular doses of direct sunlight is never a good idea for plastic toys. Neither is any kind of direct indoor lighting. LED's work differently than conventional lightbulbs and CCFL's in that they emit no heat comapred to them. That's a plus. However, I don't know about the UV part when it comes to LED's.

I had LED lights on my X-Mas tree, with a few of them directly lighting my USS ENTERPRISE-A Hallmark Ornament, and it did nothing harmful to it. No yellowing, no melting. That's as far as I know though.

Plastic toys do need air though. Plastic needs to "breathe", otherwise, it begins to break down. Smoking around them would not be good, so the air should be clean. De-humidifier(s) would be a good idea in any home if you have a lot of humidity where you live.

My G1 Jetfire didn't yellow from any lightbulb though. The poor fella yellowed from a lot of play, and he stood by the bedroom window on my table for many years. So, he's a little yellowy now, sadly. I was just a kid. No one know that was going to happen way back then.

5. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now thats interesting. Jetfire has got to be the most yellow prone toy ever IMO so that makes me feel a little better.

Has anyone else had or not had toys yellow from lightbulbs?

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my jetfire is out of sunlight and under energy saver lights still bone white

7. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooo how long has he been under lights?

8. Sportimus

News Credits:
    I have yet to have a display that is anywhere near as nice as many here on this board have, but I plan on getting/making one after I move. That said, as I have had my TF's displayed:

On my desk and bookshelves, under room light (ceiling light and/or desk lamp no facing directly at toys), I have not had any of my TF's yellow in my adult life. Under natural room light in daylight, the same applies. None of my collection sits in front of the window directly. I learned my lesson from poor Jetfire.

Someone may come along and correct me if I am wrong (and please do if I am), but from what I have heard is:

Keep them away from direct light.
    Keep them away from the heat coming from the light (which is why I like LED's as they emit virtually no heat compared to lightbulbs).

I'm surprised that no one has stepped in who knows more about this. I remember a thread like this some months ago, and it was a real informative one. My skills in the "search" function is less than adeqhate unfortunately.

And no, toothpaste doesn't bring back the whiteness. I've tried... :(  At least Jetfire has a nice minty freshness about him now. :D 

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    unless florescent light bulbs cause UV, UV doesnt have anything to do with yellowing-my Hess Trucks are all yellowish.

10. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know about tooth paist, but I did read a very informative article on here about peroxied and reversing yellowing. I'm on my phone right now or I'd look it up. Shouldn't be too hard to find though, actually uses peroxide and direct sunlight. I haven't tried it myself but I just came into a junker ramjet that I might give it a shot on.

Think I'll do that tonight & post the results if anybody's interested that is

11. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From my understanding, yes florescent lights emit UV.
    what are Hess trucks?

12. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Do those blue lights in clubs & bars emit uv rays? - Yahoo! Answers

Eco bulbs emit skin-damaging UV radiation, health experts warn

Sounds like they emit UV.

Found something interesting:

Collection Preservation

HOW-TO protect your valuable collection from LIGHT and UV:

13. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I paid a company to build a fish tank that I ended up using to display things in. It is about 60cm x 50cm x 80cm and cost A$400 + A$50 for delivery (it weighs a LOT). It is built into my wall and has a hidden light mounted above it.

The advantage of doing this is that 1) the glass is 10mm thick so it stops a lot of the UV 2) if I want it could be locked, and not many people could break class that thick. 3)It seels water tight so no dust gets in.

Tanks are so thick they are structurally sound so you can have them built to almost any dimensions you want. The people who make them can put in ridges where you can insert glass shelves. The only down side is that you have to load them from the top.

14. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow that's one hell of a post thank you sportimus.

Hmmm that fishtank actually sounds like a good idea. thinking about pulling off the same with in plastic though. Will cost about the same though so glass may be a better idea.

Also it seems light blue light bulbs may be a better idea instead of the yellower ones.

Plastic is a wonderful thing for stopping UV, but what do we think about frosted glass?
    more specifically frosted glass diffusers in light fittings?

15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i have them as far back as 1991