Paramount says TF4 slated for 2014

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TFtoycollector, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

No, i'm not that into the Avengers, but my favorite Marvel hero is Iron Man so it's good that I get to see him kick ass again. And I imagine the action will be quite epic.

I'll probably be going "Oh, that thing just got wrecked! Op, there goes another one! Damn, you all kick ass! Get that thing, get it... op you got it. Nice job, dude!"

2. Matrix_holder

Matrix_holder The chosen one.

News Credits:

Why? Because your precious Bay failed to impress me with his explosions and dick jokes?

They made a great one in 1986 that is far superior in every way to every bayformer flick. DOTM was ok but it was far from anything that I would call amazing. Bay is a hack, everyone knows it. I am sure that there is a director out there much more capable than him. I hate the movie designs with a passion. They are not transformers at all IMO, they are terminators with car parts strapped to them...way to blood thirsty. I , like many others prefer a more "classics" style to my Transformers over the more alien robomonster that they are using for the movies. I hope in the next movie they have a more TF Prime look to them, being an "in between" look, not fully "classics" but thankfully not Bayformers. I can count on both hands how many "onscreen" Bayformer toys I have bought and have a couple fingers left over to let Mr Bay know how I feel about his train wrecks and how he talks about the TF fans that criticize "his vision".

3. Matrix_holder

Matrix_holder The chosen one.

News Credits:
    The new marvel movies are based mostly on the "Ultimate Marve" universe...not the 616 marvel universe that mast people are familiar with. I like the new movies...not the past spiderman flicks but pretty much everything else.

4. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    I am a Sophmore.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This. I've come to both loathe and love the whining from both sides. The rage...it is delicious. :lol 

6. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    um. Paramount, Bay and everyone else confirmed it to be June 27th, 2014. Where have you been? lol

7. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

Don't you mean June 29?

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    That's a Sunday, so probably not. Bay's website has been corrected.

9. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Look on michaelbay.com. It says the 27th.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

As much as I enjoy the movies, you are probably right on this point. However, "capable" is one question and "willing" is another. Even Bay thought the brand was beneath him, prior to some convincing. I am thankful we didn't end up much worse off, which we easily could have.

11. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I disagree... for a Michael Bay film to receive critical acclaim it would have to be pretty damn good. DOTM's plot was solid, but as you yourself state, the character development is so-so... You can't give someone a shit sandwich, then next time promise them something better and give them a shit sandwich with extra mayo and ketchup, but less shit. After ROTF, he needed to do something alot better... DOTM is only better in that it has more even pacing and a better last fight. The ending is even more rushed than ROTF, the antagonists get even weaker (aside from Sentinel)... there's lots of problems. There's a reason it made 50 million less in the US... it's an improvement, but it's like having a crappy car... and then putting rims and a sound system in the crappy car. It's still trash, but more tolerable because of accessories.

Were it not for Sentinel Prime, DOTM would have been even more of a disappointment than ROTF. ROTF was alot of fun, just poorly paced. If it had been edited better (cut the RIDICULOUS amount of time in the desert with Bee and the Twins) and had used Devastator and the Fallen in better battles, it would be better than DOTM.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    You know I always hear that, but from what I understand, Bay was Spielberg's first choice. What other directors turned Transformers down? We've heard about alot of other turn downs, from Will Smith declining to play Neo in the Matrix among other things, but I've never heard of who declined to direct a TF movie.

Seems the stuff of speculation and PR spin to make people think Bay should be lauded for directing this thing. Just to clarify, when he was first announced, I thought he'd be PERFECT, I still love Bad Boys 2 for it's visual flair and cool action sequences. One area Bay failed was not really using the vehicle forms to the fullest, and his car chase scenes are one of his strongest points. He just failed on so many levels after the first movie, which I think may be the best film he's ever made. DOTM has more robots, and less soul, more action but less heart. In TF1 he captured the heart of the Autobots, the ruthless menace of the Decepticons and the basic spirit of each character. After that, IMO, he got a big head and started doing too much.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd sure like to know about these fabled turn-downs, too. They sound more like a myth than anything else.

14. flamepanther

Where did I say anything about other directors having turned it down? I said that Bay almost did. He's one of the Hollywood directors with the least aversion to product placement, and if it was a tough sell for him, it seems like a safe bet it would be a tough sell for any other director the producers might want.

Although now that you mention it, Spielberg is a director and he chose not to direct it, in favor of other projects, so yeah...

15. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Talking about directors who turned Transformers down, I do remember that in the very early days (probably about 2003 or 2004) I think Robert Zemeckis’ name was thrown around for a while. Anyone remember this? I reckon he could have done quite a good job on Transformers.

16. flamepanther

I believe he was one of the top two choices, but I don't recall hearing any details about why it didn't happen. I'm on the fence about whether he'd be a better choice... I mean it could have turned out like Back to the Future: Part III. :( 

If the directors' guild rules would allow it, I'd maybe have had him do the character and adventure oriented scenes, and Bay do the car chases and the most intense fights. Only one director allowed per film unless related, though.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The biggest problem with 99% of these neverending "new director" idea posts & threads is that virtually no one is approaching the subject objectively. They're either just randomly listing off their own personal favorite directors, or virtually any director who's been behind some big action film in the past. 3/4 of the usual suggestions would make terrible Transformers movies despite them being good directors and/or having some pretty cool & successful movies on their resumes. It's all about context, style & signature - but most people completely forget that. Best way to sum it up is just look at the majority of suggestions tossed around to take over from Bay, and then turn it around and picture Bay taking over one of their projects.

18. flamepanther

I've seen James Cameron's name tossed around a lot as the ideal director, and I would agree 100% without reservation. He's done the car chases, he's done the mech fights, he's a master at cramming exposition into an action movie without slowing it down in the wrong places, and after Avatar, he's done the whole "focus most of the movie on non-human characters" thing most of us have been wishing for. Thing is, I don't think he would ever agree to it. Even if he didn't decide the brand was beneath him, he's got FAR too much to do already. I can't think of too many other directors I would choose based on their existing works.

19. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do also recall Nelson saying that Roland Emmerich was very much in the running at one point. I guess it figures.

I do laugh sometimes at all the choices people come up with, though. Not trying to sound snobbish, but you can tell that a lot of people just don’t know much about film, so they just come up with the most famous names they can think of. Also, they just so happen to be the most unlikeliest people to ever take the job. The two most popular names I read are James Cameron and Christopher Nolan. Cameron I can kind of understand, but why do people think Nolan would be a good choice? His signature style will not lend itself to Transformers at all, IMO. Something tells me that he likes things more grounded. I don’t think you will ever see Nolan directing a fully-fledged sci-fi and fantasy film.

The funny thing is, when it comes to the inevitable reboot, it wouldn’t surprise me if Paramount hires the most obscure choice you can think of (or can’t think of), if only so they can control him more than Bay.

20. flamepanther

That sounds familiar. I'll take Bay over Emmerich though, no question.