Paramount lying about AOE Box Office

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Scorpio, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's being stated that Paramount is lying about the box office results for Transformers: Age Of Extinction.

According to Deadline, Transformers 4 didn't make it to the $100 million mark, but just short at around $97 million.

Industry insiders are stating that Paramount is intentionally fudging the numbers.

“They’re lying,” said one distribution head at a major studio.

Said another, “I don’t get get it. Is it just arrogance? What is the point of inflating your box office numbers? So they can claim the first $100M movie opening of the year? Oh please, who cares? It’s a great opening anyway.”

One distribution executive put it this way, “Looking at Rentrak, at this time the average for the three-days is $22.964M, representing a total gross for three days of $97.76M. Rentrak collected 97% of the grosses for the three days. In my humble opinion, it would be impossible for $100M to be reported.”

It's further suggested that Paramount stretched the numbers to avoid layoffs at the company, as apparently if T4 didn't gross $100 million in its opening, employees were to be let go.

Paramount, however, has replied stating their numbers are correct.

“We reported our number based on the estimates we received from the theatres this morning. This is our final number,” said a Paramount spokeswoman. $100.038M? “Yes.”

The $97 million would still give Transformers: Age Of Extinction the best opening of the year, surpassing April's Captain America 2 with $95 million.

Paramount have also confirmed to have been lying about the production cost of the movie - originally stated as $165M, it has now been revealed that Age Of Extinction cost a whopping $210M

Link; Paramount Reportedly Lying About Transformers: Age Of Extinction Box Office Results - Cosmic Book News

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    "at this time the average for the three-days is $22.964M, representing a total gross for three days of $97.76M. "

Do the math. LOL.

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    This is all a meaningless propaganda war at this point anyway.

I say "meaningless" because it's already made around $300 million with the international market factored in. A few million here and there is chump change in comparison.

The only reason I think this is being contested is because of the people who refuse to accept that Bay can make $100 million in spite of them hating the film. It's all Hollywood politics being aired in the open.

Whatever.

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So, 97 million? And the bad part is? It´s just 3 million short of the 100 mark. At this point, people who want the movie to fail are just grasping at straws.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Sunset Stage Memory

News Credits:
    Like I care, It's still the most successful movoe of the year and will be.
    Transformers is the big Action movie... It's gonna be either 1st or Second.

6. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Sunset Stage Memory

News Credits:
    This.. Plus, If it's true Paramount also said it so people could keep their jobs.. I have no problem with that. Now these people want innocent people to loose jobs amd this movie to fail, Pathetic.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Uh oh...someones got some 'splaning to do.

It's not so much that they didn't make 3 million more dollars but rather they lied about it...because lying is wrong or something like that.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh no, they rounded up. those bastards.

9. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it reported that they broke the $100 million Mark on Saturday? Even if it was only at $97 million at that point, there was still all of Sunday left to report. So I'm sure it was well over $100 million by the closing of Sunday. It's just other studios being pissed that their movies have not hit the mark as this movie. I'm looking forward to see how well the new Apes movie will do.

10. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Wait---so 97% of the total added up to 97 million---and he's saying 100% of the total couldn't add up to 100 million? That seems quite possible to me, not "impossible".

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think the article either didn't quote this properly or is quoting someone who misspoke. I think they mean that the per theater average receipts are $22,964. Which, at 4,233 theaters, comes out to $97.2M.

Obviously the daily average isn't $23M.

No, they were saying "on track" for $100M for the weekend (including an estimate for Sunday).

12. demonoid111

demonoid111 Destron

It's bullshit.

Every major box office website is reporting the same number Paramount is.

13. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't get the big problem with this. Can someone explain?

14. demonoid111

demonoid111 Destron

That's an average of every single theater playing the movie, meaning that it could be brought down by theaters that aren't bringing in much at all. I'm sure Paramount has exact numbers which could give it a heavy boost. It definitely reached $100 million.

15. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It must be really time consuming to have such an agenda against Bay and his movies.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Well, Paramount is a publicly held company. Therefore, they are required to disclose their earnings accurately.

According to Paramount, the per theater average was $23,633. Not really a heavy boost, real or not.

17. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    As per normal..haters gonna hate no matter what.

18. Razor72

Razor72 Mandalore

Yeah even if they were lying, it's not like movie studios don't lie or embellish all the time.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Just goes to show the general public ain't as stupid to buy into the hype of a Michael bay movie like Paramount thought

20. ChibiGingi

ChibiGingi Calm Your Circuits, Red!

Well, if they're going to make such a bold claim, where's their proof? I'm pretty sure you need to have definitive proof before you start throwing about accusations, good or ill.