Paramount just trying to cure the symptoms, not the disease

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There is a part of me that wonders just how good Bumblebee can be when there are too many people from the past movies still connected to the movie. Just how much input did they have on the movie?

I know we are supposed to say oh well we've got an uprising director so everything will be great but that is the same thing they said about Fantastic Four and GI Joe. I'm not sure if new talent in the director's chair is the cure all that people seem to run with. It might take Paramount booting everyone off the franchise and starting fresh to be the sort of films that can domestically contend with the other studios.

• Like Like x 6
  2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't see how the movies will ever get better unless they replace the Key Grip, Best Boy and Gaffer.
    Those bastards only serve to bring the movie down.

Craft Services still serving Evian water? Better switch it to Crystal Geyser- otherwise this movie is scroomed!
    Scroomed I tell ya! SCROOMED!!!

• Like Like x 10
  3. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

The Bumblebee movie is not going to be a revolutionary film in any way, but what is fair to hope for is that it'll be acceptably decent. Which, while not the dream come true for a lot of Tf fans, is still an improvement.
    Even if the whole franchise did completely reboot from scratch, with all new people down to the stagehands, there's no guarantee that such an endeavor would result in success, much less what the fans want, for that matter.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Or maybe an independent studio with some hearty VFX connections. . .Just my $0.02. . .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    :lol :

I want this word in the dictionary right now.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ash from Carolina

In all fairness revolutionary films are a rare thing because often times a studio will not even know they have something revolutionary until after it is released. On the bright side something doesn't have to break any mold or change entertainment forever to be something people can enjoy.

While it is true that rebooting alone might not get us what we want it does seem like the chances of Transformers catching up to what is working for other studios would be better if Transformers wasn't saddled with fix but don't reboot. It would be a way for Paramount to examine why things work for Marvel/Disney but don't work Warner Brothers with the DC live action movies. Just seems like an easier path if they had a whole new team working on Transformers instead of holding onto the people who think they can still fix things long after they have lost their feel for what people currently want out of a movie. Domestically the soft reboot fixes didn't work so I'm not sure if there is a variation of not a real reboot that will work.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

I'd rather not see them try and play catch up to anyone, as that's really what WB's problem is with the current DC movies, trying too hard to copy Marvel's success then do their own thing. And as for Marvel themselves, I can't help but have a feeling they might have hit their peak. I'd rather just see Paramount get people who can and want to try and make something fun and entertaining, like Knight currently appears to have possibly done...But we'll see.

Soft reboot or full on reboot, it's all a gamble.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

It's just a copy of the first movie. Instead of a boy and his car it's now a girl and her car.
    The main difference is that in the first movie he was protecting the boy, now it looks like he is protected by the girl

• Like Like x 2
  9. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The disease won’t get cured anywhere in current Hollywood.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Super Bumblebee

Super Bumblebee Autobot

Instagram:
    You mean for Hasbro to go through Disney to produce their movies,as opposed to Paramount, right? When I first read that I thought, "I don't think Disney would by an entire toy company!"

11. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Isn't hasbro a major Disney licensee?

12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yeah I meant Disney buying Hasbro. But the the root of the problem might be paramount or Lorenzo

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Given Lorenzo is so short sighted, I'd say he's the problem. I mean, he outright said that if Bumblebee succeeds, chances are high at a Bumblebee 2 and an Optimus Prime solo film.

But what do you do after that? Bumblebee 3? Optimus Prime 2? It really is amazing that you have a franchise FULL of marketable characters and this man is so obsessed with trying to keep the current continuity that he completely ignores the strength of the brand that would support a cinematic universe, just to focus more on the already massively overexposed two Autobots from all the films as the last chance for the TFCU.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Ash from Carolina

I'd say Paramount and the people working for them have been the problem. As the domestic numbers for Transformers was falling they all buried their head in the sand with international numbers will cover the lack of domestic appeal. Then look at how Paramount has struggled at the box office with so many films. The success stories were things like Arrival or A Quite Place that no one saw coming. Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Baywatch, the list just goes on and on for box office disappointment. 2014 was the last time Paramount had a film in the domestic top ten and even then Transformers Age of Extinction could only take 7th place.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    And 2014 was generally a down year for films, because as much as the movie defenders love to crow about how AoE was 2014's highest grossing film by being the only one that year to cross the billion dollar threshold, 2015 had barely even gotten started and both Minions and Fast 7 would make significantly more than AoE.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Super Bumblebee

Super Bumblebee Autobot

Instagram:
    Yeah. Disney is a movie and entertainment company. Most ( but not all) of their licensed toys are made by Hasbro, on a franchise by franchise basis. Hasbro gives Paramount the rights to make movies based on their toy brands. If Hasbro decided switch from Paramount to Disney, they would need make a new agreement for Disney to make said films.
    Disney would not need to buy Hasbro as a whole.
    Although, Disney is buying everything lately, so I won’t put it past them..

17. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Just curious but did Knight write the film as well or did somebody else do that.

I find it funny and odd that Lorenzo has been working on the movies since 2007 but almost no one including myself has heard about him until now.

Also while Bumblebee does look good let's not forget that the trailers for these movies have almost always been misleading I know that goes for trailers in general but still. I mean rotf looks like a horror movie from the trailer.

Overall I think the Bumblebee might be just regular good doesn't look like it's doing anything special just the classic bond between a young person and alien creature which leads into them needing to stay away from the evil aliens while also avoiding the men in black.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Oh, he's been a known problem since day 1, he's just much more noticeable now because he happens to pop up in interviews trying to explain away shit about TLK. Him having to basically admit TLK was a failure was deliciously humiliating suffice to say.

Right now the movies NEED something to just do regular good to stay afloat. TLK really damaged Paramount financially with the loss of the HuaHua Media contract.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Artistodave

Artistodave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Suddenly I pictured a Paramount Executive dressed as Tim Curry on the Rocky Horror Show shutting an elevator door while laughing maniacally...

• Like Like x 5
  20. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Bay's still involved in this movie. He's Producing it. Like how he has for A Quiet Place & the Ninja Turtles movies.

Same involvement, different position.