Paramount is making mistake-Transformers 3 is not dated for 2011

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TFfan08, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I personally can't stand the "movie universe". I hate it with a passion. I think it totally destroys everything that made Transformers unique and special to me over the last 25 years. That being said, I go to the movie and enjoy what it is -- entertainment involving stuff from my childhood that I'm still fond of today.

To expect anything more than that would just turn me in to some of the posters on the boards here ... very bitter, angry people that end up raging at someone involved with the movie for not making it the way they think it should have been made.

I refuse to become that demographic of our population.

2. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice. Maybe Paramount will fire his ass in the downtime period after they realize they could be doing so much better...

At least we might get some cool non-movie toys in that extra year.

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's what I'm saying. Fist bump.

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Agreed, in facts real director legend Steven Speilberg picked him to direct transformers franchise.

5. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny, Spielberg suggested it be about a boy and his car.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Oh yeah??! Wall-E.

You can have robots as the main characters, and humans as side characters.

I blame everyone involved at the high levels for how this movie turned out. Producers, director, actors, and writers. Oh well, no use arguing about this stuff, just have to sit back and hope that Transformers 2 flops so hard they never make a 3. Either that or hope for a Batman Begins style reboot of the series who can take the story of robot civil war coming to earth and make it both interesting and entertaining.

7. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Maybe Paramount pulled a Marvel and replaced Bay for the next movie without telling him. Hope not, cause, as much as I like the movies, I don't think the characters translate well into toys, and the toys are my first love. I'd much rather see the Animated line and the Universe line march on in the hiatus between films.

8. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

All you people knocking down these characters will eat your words when you see them animated... They will, no doubt, be some of the most popular characters from the movie...

:throw 

9. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I saw that coming. Bay will have his way, especially when ROTF makes a crap load of money this summer.

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I don't know what's more preposterous- people believing the world will end in 2012 or people believing Michael Bay is the best man to lead the Transformers franchise.

He's far from the worst- I'd say he's done an above average job, but a good bit of the worship is unwarranted.

It's not as though he was responsible for the disaster that was the heads of Skids and Mudflap, however.

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Not at all. You seemed to be happy to accuse all and sundry of an inability to distinguish between fact and opinion (99.9% of people are wrong, you are right, remember?) before going on to make a series of arguments that suffer from just this malaise.

I'm getting confused now...you've just spent 3 pages berating critics of the film...but you don't actually like it?

I disagree with this. Most people I know have seen Armageddon, but I don't recall many of them thinking it was terribly good.

I think people do enjoy Transformers on the whole, but I object to the notion that a 'better' (and I'm aware that this is a can of worms) script would have somehow alienated this audience. If that was true there simply wouldn't be any good, popular movies.

Of course he did some things right, the man isn't an incompetent. The film is quite pretty to look at, and the integration between the CGI and the location footage is astonishing - something that's very tough to direct.

But... how much of Transformers success is realistically down to the director is open to question in my view. Some films clearly live or die based on the passion behind them - the LOTR trilogy would likely never have happened without Jacksons singular vision - but while I wouldn't want to denegrate his hard work (directing any movie is astonishingly difficult) I'm not convinced that Mr Bay was really the deciding factor in the films popularity.

Personally, I think ILM are the true heroes here, they are behind the main reason most people went to see the film - the amazingly real robots. This to me is the magic cash-printing ingredient.

None of this is an excuse to make lame 'BAY IS A MONGOLOID' kind of posts of course. Unless they're funny.

Improvisation by the cast is too late in the day to have a radical effect upon the script - improv is about riffing on a theme rather than big structural changes.

Again, whilst I share your belief that the writer should take ownership of his script, it would be naive to think that an unhappy A-list director wouldn't order new pages if he felt the material was weak. It's not at all unusual for entire drafts to be binned at the directors behest once the greenlight is on.

I'm suprised you find it easy to reconcile these diametrically opposed viewpoints. I'm not particularily agrieved about the movie in general, but I certainly feel no compunction to gloss over what I see as its many, many flaws. I think parts of it are spectacularily bad and I'm quite happy to say so; it was a success despite its unsatisfactory elements, not because of them.

I don't think that makes me bitter, just discerning and consistent.

12. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok I'm not about to get into the middle of your fight, but I just have to say.

100 points for using the word "MALAISE"! :thumbs2: 

13. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Ha! Thanking you! It's not a fight though. A minor scuffle perhaps...:) 

14. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I said 99.9% of people have failed at trying to paint an argument that Michael Bay is the wrong director for Transformers. Their arguments are based on their opinions of the movie. But the cold hard facts, such as the enomrous amount of money that the movie brought in, have granted it the title of "blockbuster hit" and "successful".

Present to me an argument based on FACTS, not OPINIONS, that states Michael Bay is the wrong director for this movie. The movie ushered in more success to the brand than anything else that has ever been attempted. It was a global SUCCESS.

Yeah, I agree he sucks at characterization in his movies. But he's got over 750 million reasons to say he did a pretty damn fine job his first time out. I can't argue against that, at least, not with facts to state that he's a poor director.

Shocking, right? :D 

Movie critics like the shock value of their reviews -- they say something dramatic and snarky to get people to respond and thus read more of their reviews. They're like entertainers almost. They usually have no substance ... good movie critics will actually take the time to throw in their own interpretation of the movie and why they didn't enjoy it. The first movie suffered from "MICHAEL BAY SUCKS AT DIRECTING!" reviews, I even read a review that focused more on how Michael Bay was an ass to the critic than the actual movie itself.

So when you read peoples' responses here as to why they don't like Michael Bay, and I'll just grab some that I read over the last couple of years that have stuck:

"Michael Bay is a shitty director, he didn't pick Frank Welker to do the voice of Megatron!!!!!"

"Michael Bay is fucking horrible, none of his movies amount to anything worth a damn, he's destroying the franchise."

"Michael Bay is the worst thing to happen to the Transformers."

...those are the responses that drive me crazy. They're lousy, ill-informed and bottom-of-the-barrel type crap that makes our movie forum so lousy to read through. I don't read the movie forum at all because of it. It's a breeding ground for a bunch of people pissed that Chris Latta wasn't revived from the dead to voice Starscream and that Frank Welker wasn't selected to piss gold from the mouth of Megatron.

It depends on the script though.

You have to remember, while we're used to these robots having immense backgrounds and a ton of characterization from years of animation and comic books, the typical fan that Hasbro wants to get to this movie hasn't watched a cartoon or read a comic book in ages.

Or they're going to be 5 years old and have never been exposed to Transformers like the rest of us.

So while I might enjoy a movie that deals with more characterization and more robot-specific stories, the general audience would find themselves alienated, lost, confused, and probably bored with the movie as a whole. Because of that, I accept the fact that for this movie to continue to be successful, it will never be the story-driven masterpiece that I would enjoy ... because a large majority of movie-goers wouldn't enjoy it like I would, because they don't have the same level of appreciation as the collector or long-time fan does.

I agree to a point. It's obvious that the special effects and the integration in to the film were nearly flawless (though I'm sure there's a handful of people who will be more than happy to point out the errors where they weren't as they go frame by frame in their HD copies). And whether or not you hate him, Shia performed his role perfectly, to the point that a lot of non-Transformers fans loved the movie because of his interaction with the other actors and actresses.

But the way the movie came out in the end was all him ... because he is the man sitting in the cut-room deciding which pieces to remove, how scenes should flow, if an actor or actress needs to do a line or a scene in a different way, and he has the final "yes"/"no" on all the stuff ILM does pump out. So while the entirety of the movie's success cannot be given to Michael Bay, a very large portion of it needs to be.

Sometimes the "make or break" scenes in movies are improv'd by the actors. I believe I read or listened to someone mention Shia ended up doing a lot of improv on his scenes ... to the point that it made his character more enjoyable than what was originally written. He took the role and made it his own, which is a special thing.

That's where I like Michael Bay ... he knows he's not doing a Les Miserables with robots. He's making a movie with big robots that fight and blow shit up. And I think that's where a lot of peoples' disdain comes from ... the fact they believe the franchise needs more exposure to the storylines behind it and the characterization that has made some of these characters so memorable over the last 25 years. I can't fault the director for not going that route ... because the way he did it the first time was overly successful.

Oh no, we all have the right to dislike something. That was never the intent of anything I posted. I just got sick of people saying how Michael Bay is the worst director possible for Transformers, that he's the destroying the franchise, and that everything he touches he destroys.

I think the facts prove otherwise on all those counts.

15. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I have to agree with that. Not only that, but in Iron Man, Dark Knight and the Spider-man movies, the producers/directors/writers didn't have that many characters to develop, while compared to TF1.

-airfox

16. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that it wasn't successful. That it is, but that still doesn't make it a good movie. And you you just kind of argued yourself in circles when you said that Transformers aren't memorable and then you turned around and talked about Armageddon. Hell, people remember Twister too, and that movie is God awful! Ed Wood's movies are memorable too.

All I'm saying is it's not too much to ask for a GOOD and memorable movie. Be content with the crap he churns out, rationalize by saying "it's good for what it is" and try to convince yourself it was good. Fact is that Bay isn't a good director.

I also don't really like how you try to downplay Transformers as a property in all of this. This franchise has managed to be around in some capacity for nearly 3 decades now. It has it's own convention, numerous websites and message boards based off of it and is still going strong. You'd be hard pressed to find a property this side of Star Trek with this kind of a following and with different generations of fans, not just old hangers on. For nearly 30 years they've been around and have generated new fans, I'd hardly write that off as a "oh, I remember those" kind of things. This movie was going to be a hit regardless of who (within reason) directed it.

I can respect your angle of just accepting it in spite of not liking it. It's very "the dude" Lebowski of you. I, myself, as an artist can't stand Michael Bay. IMO he has zero artistic integrity, he makes movies based on what he THINKS people want to see based on the hollywood formula passed down to him by Don Simpson. He's one of the best cinematographers to hold a camera, but he lacks the tools as a storyteller to be a director. Music videos and commercials are where he belongs, not feature length film.

17. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Kickback is a god amongst insects ;) 

Seriously though, while Micheal Bay is most likely not the best director for Transformers, he's certainly far from the worst. Personally I go to the theater to be entertained by what's on the screen. Micheal Bay delivered that to me quite handily in the first movie. Would I have liked something different, yes, but that doesn't detract from the fact that I was entertained by someone else's take on the franchise I've enjoyed for 25 years now.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not so mired down with a dogmatic view of the Transformer's mythos that I can't step back and get some enjoyment from someone else's take on the franchise or respect their interpretation.

18. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

It wasn't so much the mythos or even the character design that bothered me. It was the complete lack of substance. Although the designs on "the twins" this go around just makes me sick. I can hack a lot, but they just reek of goofy, slapstick nonsense.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Michael Bay got contacts in the freaking PENTAGON, he is the best director, just because he can and WILL deliver awesome vehicles for the Decepticons.

20. hop2pop

hop2pop Active Member

Imagine how much more advanced the CG and FX will be if it's released in 2012.