Heavy/Scratch: Papercraft Optimus Prime G1

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chris24jc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. chris24jc

chris24jc OptiChris Prime

Hey guys, here's an Optimus Prime made entirely out of paper!
    I didn't design it, I just built it.

Download the model and build it yourself here:
    Right Click - Save As...
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6356076/Optimus_Prime G1 Masterpiece BIG.zip

Zealot Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Designing G1 Optimus Prime Papermodel
    or here:
    http://paperkraft.blogspot.com/2008/07/optimus-prime-papercraft.html

And here for a video of my completed build:
    YouTube - Papercraft Prime for youtube

Enjoy! And lemme know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    wow, that looks really awesome! Thanks a lot for linking the model for others. :)  The video is cool, too, and I think you should link your video in the Radicons General Discussion thread, "Radicons UNofficial Youtube Channel" ;) 

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Lovin' that! Thanks for all the links!:thumbs2: 

4. turbovf1s

turbovf1s Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yay kissyfur!!!

5. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

its really nice to see such a substantial Prime from a different medium, he looks really nice.

6. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Looking at this guy reminds me of grade school where they would sell books with all the cutouts inside, all you had to do was put it together to form like a space ship or something. Then I remember my brother coming out of nowhere and crushing the hours of work. Ahh good times.

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kewl

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

glad to see someone on the boards utilizing these paper kits i mentioned them in a thread months back. there is also a g1 soundwave ravage and ratchet available

9. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Wow that is cool !
    ......hmmm...got a lighter ? :bay 

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

That's cool, I love seeing stuff like this.

11. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    WOAH, Nice! Thanks for posting this "MASTERPIECE" (pun intended.)

12. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    id like to see it in truck mode now....

13. Kurosaki_SR87

Kurosaki_SR87 Soldier

ok i have been looking for this model for a year now and thank you for having the link. now how di you get the various parts to move that would be awesome to know. i also have a masterpice optimus. but please send me an email odin_rukaiyoku@yahoo.com telling me how to make him move if you do not mind

14. rk454

rk454 Active Member

15. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I always liked Papercrafting!!! Nicely done!!!

16. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    very cool, I'm gonna take a stab a putting this together this weekend...

17. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Do you still have those links?
    -G

18. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    if Prime comes out decent I'd love to do Soundwave and Ravage!

19. chris24jc

chris24jc OptiChris Prime

Thanks all!

I REMEMBER THOSE! I LOVED EM! I even looked forward to any punch outs they had in Peanut Butter magazine. haha!
    I made a huge 2-3 foot tall 'transforming' robot to spaceship once, but was completely disappointed to discover that his transformation consisted of laying him down on his belly to become a spaceship. Ah well, what do you expect out of paper, right?

Yea, good times... my wive has taken her foot to a couple of my papercraft projects... so those memories are all too recent for me... LOL. Better than taking it out on my TF's though!!!

(pun appreciated!) ;) 

Me too!

OOO, thanks. I've seen pics of the built guy before, but never saw the dl to make the model. Definitely gonna make him soon. Thanks!

Well, it's a bit complicated to explain if you're not used to papercrafting or pop up books, but I'll attempt to explain as best I can. Looking at a pop up book where something pivots or spins is the perfect example, and exactly where I got the idea from. I used to make pop up cards as a kid.

For the waist, head and hands pivot, you have 2 layers of paper in the shape of the waist/torso for example. Cut a big round hole (the more perfect the circle, the smoother the spin) in the center of the top one, and the other, trace that hole onto it, and then cut 4 or 8 evenly spaced lines from the outside edges towards that hole you drew - like you're cutting it into pie pieces, but STOP when you get to the edge of the circle. Don't cut into the circle. Then bend every other 'pie piece' section (so only half of the flaps are bent in alternating fashion) that you just cut a bit so you can fit them into the hole, then flatten out again. Those flaps will hold onto the circle from the inside the hole. You should see how this spins free already. Just make sure to glue the appropriate areas to the waist and torso so they still spin - (The bottom piece with the flaps can be glued in full to the waist, but the top part with the hole can only be glued on the edges, so the flaps have a place to turn. You can draw this edge out first while practice spinning so you know where to apply glue.)
    Also, one tip, if it's too tight, you can cut the lines a little deeper into the circle to loosen the spin a bit.

The arms are easy in theory, but tricky for practicality. I just reprinted the little black tubes that connect the shoulders to the torso. One set I glued to the torso, they are the pegs. The others I cut off the glue tabs that glued to the torso on the first set, and glued the top of the tube to the shoulder, so the open end is exposed and fits over the peg on the torso.
    The tricky part is to make it loose enough to spin, yet tight enough to hold the pose. I found that after I glued it all together, I had to add a thin layer of regular paper to the inside of the shoulder tubes or the outside of the torso pegs to tighten the friction. There's probably a better way to engineer this, but this is what I came up with after the fact.
    This method also allows the arms to be removed for compacting storage, if that matters. If not, I'd engineer something on the inside of the torso or shoulders before gluing them closed.

Added tips for any model - I recommend taping a couple of pennies inside the feet of any model to give it some good stability. Nothings more irritating than seeing your finished masterpiece fall over every time someone walks by or the door opens. ;)  I put about 5 pennies in each foot I think of this guy.

Last tip for this model - the 'ear' antennae: One should be mirror imaged, but it's not. No biggie, the only thing that should be different is the 2 tabs. Cut those off and add some of your own on the other side on one of those 'ears' and you're set. Otherwise, like me, you might end up making two left ears (or right, can't remember) and having to tear it apart to reglue it on the other side.

Hope all that's easy enough to understand... lemme know if you'd like some more help. I might make a quick youtube video to demonstrate.
    Enjoy!

PAPERINVADERS - Paper Models
    Here is the one I know of. I haven't done any of them yet cause they're all white and you're supposed to print them on colored paper. All the colored paper I've found around my house wouldn't be that good for papercraft. If anyone knows how to fill color in a PDF... let me know. Cause I'd totally go for that.

Here's another amazing model by Voltron5 in colaboration with Getter1.
    http://paperkraft.blogspot.com/2008/07/voltron-papercraft.html
    It's a f$*@in' TRANSFORMING VOLTRON!!! DAMN! The pics make me drool. I haven't dedicated my time to it yet though. So many circular cuts for so many pivoting lion legs... oofa. The repetition might kill me alone...
    But ahhh... to have a handmade Voltron of paper... what a treasure, eh?
    If anyone attempts it, you gotta show us the result!

Thanks to everyone for your great compliments! It made all my hard work even more worthwhile. I appreciate them, and wish the best of luck to you on building your own. Let me know if you need any help. I think having the pics, especially of the back of the head, will help a lot. That part had me stumped until I examined masterpiece prime.

20. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Clever job!