Papercraft Metal Gear Rex

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chaos Incarnate, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Weirdest thing. I was looking at the Lego TFs that someone on the board built. That page links to Brickmaster, and once on brickmaster, I started looking for other things. I searched Brickmaster for Gundams, and from there, linked to a page that had papercraft Gundams. I thought that was cool, so I Googled it. I found a couple pages, one in particular was a listing of papercraft sites. One simply said papercraft Metal Gear Rex. Now, Rex is my favorite Metal Gear, and I have been dying for a model or figure or statue for a while. I clicked that link, but it was empty. I went back to Google and started searching. About 20 minutes later I found something on a German website, but it was scanned in from an E3 pamphlet, so I have started the work of rebuilding it.

I was just wondering, while I was in here, was there anything I should change or make better? I can't change the structure, but I can do some things to the texture map.

2. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    What do you guys think of a black camo version?

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Uh I can't see anything if you posted an image.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The model was given out with the press release for MGS2. It's entirely game-accurate, being based on the original playstation mesh and textures.

That being said, go nuts. Rex is a cool mech, a new colour scheme can't hurt.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Can we get a link to see what you're talking about?

6. XFactor

XFactor Member

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Damn cool. Might print that out and give it a shot. :thumb 

8. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Yes, that's the one. And the one I'm dealing with is a bit fuzzy too, like that. So I'm doubling the resolution, and taking the grainy-ness out of it.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Got it, if you cut the words off the top, you can get a better size on paper.

Any instructions for this thing?

10. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Yeah, I downloaded a set of instructions as well. So far, the biggest updates I'm doing is bigger resolution, no grainyness, and I am definatly taking out those white dotted lines. I am also going to make the color be in a layer seperate from the detailings and the cut lines, so I can change ans swap them at will. So far, I'm thinking, regular Rex, night camo Rex, forest camo Rex, and snow Rex. Maybe a sand one too, if I can find enough resources for it. One based off of the MGS3 flame camo would be sweet too.

11. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Sounds great. I'd really appreciate you posting them here once they're ready.

12. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    *sigh* Starting again. After working on it for a while, I came to the realization that the file size was going to be very very large. However, if I build it in Illustrator, I can make a full vector based image that is relatively small. So I'm beginning again. I am not, however, going to remake the proto-Shagohod, and will therefore save space. Should I post updates? In the last thread I did that, people got bored and it killed the thread.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    We won't kill it if you share the link to those instructions... :D 

14. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Indeed.

15. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
  16. Neo

Neo The One

That looks awesome. The Metal Gear Solid series are my favorite games. I wish they would make an actual model of REX.

17. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

My thoughts exactly. MGS is the best and Rex is probably my favorite mech out of the series, but I love them all.

Rex seemed to be just the most perfect war machine. Whoever had that weapon would truly own the world. Shame Snake had to come and rain on Liquid's parade. I hope we see Rex again in MGS4, what with Ocelot selling the design specs and stuff on the black market.

:dj 

18. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Yeah, the design of RAY never really grew on me much. Plus the fact that it had no powerful offensive weapons. That and a surferboy with a pocketful of stingers could kill numerous ones, whereas Snake would have gotten killed by REX if not for the kick ass intervention of the cyborg ninja. Oh yeah, REX is much more powerful.

19. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I love Ray too and the ones Raiden fought in MGS2 were AI controlled, not piloted like the one Ocelot/Liquid stole from the Marines, so you can't really say that. I like Rex more but I think Ray might win in a battle because after all Ray is an anti-Metal Gear unit, so I guess he's built to fight his cousins. A skilled pilot in Ray might win though, I guess it depends on the pilots.

20. Neo

Neo The One

Eh, I dont know. RAY just all around sucked in my opinion. It would stand up to REX. MGS2 kinda sucked because you didn't get to play as Snake and also because the main character was Raiden...