Minor/Repaint: Paper-Replika Optimus Prime: Chapsy's Build

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chapsy, Aug 12, 2010.

1. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

This here is me and my wife's progress on Julius Perdana's Papercraft Optimus Prime. We've been working on it for around two months. All that's left is the arms.
    This has been an amazing model to work on. what you see is 213 pages of 110 lb cardstock. 39 make up the arms, for a total of 252. It's not exactly practical in the sense that it's huge(it took around 5 color ink cartridges to print out the parts, for example.), and it has some inaccuracies(wheels, some details on the legs)
    but all the parts are simple and are designed pretty well. I've only had to modify a few parts to get them to fit properly.
    The joints, most notably in the arms, hands, hips, and feet are all designed to be moveable. However, I'd recommend putting some sort of stuffing or reinforcement in the hip sockets. my prime is all wobbly and needs to be glued in place upon completion because I overlooked that.
    Aside from that, he's covered with some spray protectant for sealing ink.
    He makes a wonderful display piece, given you have the room. He's well over three feet tall. As you can see, he's bigger than a wal-mart three tier bookcase. You can see scout class brimstone hanging out on a shelf for a size comparison ;) 
    If you want to give him a try, all his parts can be found for free at paper-replika at the following link:
    Transformers
    hope you like what you see! thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that is awesome.....I am clicking on the link...now..

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I want to make this soo bad. but I should finsh building the BB one.

Randy!

4. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

That is flat out insanely amazing! I am speechless!

5. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Woah! You mean they let you download the templates for free? That's awesome!
    Wish i had the space and money to build one. I think its great both you and your wife are making this too.
    I can see some of inaccuracies but really when its something of this size and complexity who cares?
    Awesome stuff.

6. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Thanks! Hope you have fun building him, if you decide to. Take it one step at a time. He's a lot of work!
    I know how you feel. It took me a while to get this far without doing other projects. Never attempted the bee. How is it? It looks pretty tricky, what with all the laminating and lighting.
    Thanks! Glad you like it :) 
    Thanks! Yes, this model is entirely free. The only catch is watermarks for paper-replika.com on some of the parts(out of normal view, of course) and you have to type in the website as the password to open the .pdf's. Julius is notorious for being really generous with his projects, especially considering he designs these from scratch.
    Papercrafting is a really fun hobby both me and my wife share. It's a given we'd both work on this because we both love transformers, papercraft, and doing stuff in general together. She's wanted to pull her hair out a few times over this model though, and she wants to take a break from crafting for a while when he's done. Can't say I blame her lol. This is the biggest model we've ever built.

7. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Wow... paper-replika.com you say? This has to be the only time I feel proud being an Indonesian LOL Great job mate! And post more pics once you're done with the hands please...

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That's made of paper?!? Holy sweet zombie Jesus! TO THA LINK!
    !

9. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Amazing!

10. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

How do you print out the pieces though? They look huge so you must have some sort of giant printer or something lol.

11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Nope. All the pieces were printed out on my dinky little hp d1530.(which is one reason it took so many cartridges to print) The parts were printed on normal 8.5x11 paper. The only non-normal thing I used was the paper itself. All my projects, especially ones this big, I use cardstock on. Georgia Pacific makes some awesome 110 lb cardstock you can get at walmart super cheap. 150 sheets for about 6 bucks.

12. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

it's pretty intense. The problem is it has alot of complex curves in it, and it's no where close to being as defined as the Prime. All the parts are numbered, but it's more of a bunch of surfaces glued together, where it seems like this is more boxes. The other issue is there are no "white boxes" showing you were parts glue on each other! you have to study what few images you have, and take your best shot. it's going to be awesome when it's done, but i'm slowly going through all the instructions right now, and making corrections as I go. right now i'm stuck on the torso area. there are parts called out, but it doesnt' say whats left and whats right. i opted to not due the lighting, and i'm glad. if i ever made anouther one i'd consider it, but not this frist time. Just as it is though, it's going to be taller than Supreme BB. I'm building it for a fellow board member as a thank you for picking up some botcon toys for me.
    i think I mat wait to see if he rescales this thing. While I would LOVE to have a prime in this size, i dont' have the room or it.

OH! and the laminating you mentioned isn't neccesary. All its' doing is making the inside parts black. before I cut out the parts i used a black prismacolor marker and that did the trick.

Randy!

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At first I didn't realize there was a book shelf next to him, and I just went "holy cow" in my head, then I looked closer and saw the book case and went "HOLY CRAP" out loud.. THAT'S AWESOME!!

14. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Probably the most impressive papercraft thing I've seen! Like the Gundam too :) 

15. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

finally getting around to starting the arms.
    working on scoring the parts at the moment. This makes the folds nice and crisp.

Attached Files:

16. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sweeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttt

17. hoshi_1123

hoshi_1123 Drone killer

Ebay:
    Dang! that's awesome! how tall is he?

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^Took the words right out of my mouth! :D 

Bravo! Looks like a much better (not to mention cheaper) and on par with the Sideshow Statue! Pfftt! Who need 1,000 bucks when you've got skills like yours?!

19. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Aparently, about 4 foot tall!! DAAAAAAYYUM!

I'd build one, but I have no idea where the hell I would put it!

EDIT: Ah crap....downloaded it anyways for build. Its too cool to pass up! Perhaps I'll place it in the living room? Use some quality paper and after construction, give it a couple of light mistings of clear coat to make it last a bit longer.

20. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Thanks! He's around 3.5 feet tall :) 
    Thanks! While I agree it looks nice for being paper and way cheaper to build tha the sideshow collectible, this guy lacks a lot of detail once you get past the head and body. The legs are essentialy nothing but boxes, discs, and pipes.
    have you attempted papercraft before? If not this guy can be a little tricky. Some of the parts on the head are fairly small, and require tweezers in order to get a neat outcome. Be sure to use at least 110 lb cardstock for maximum durability, and get some clear overhead transparencies or something similar to use for the windows.
    Other than that, have fun!