paper mario vs super paper mario?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by iheartarcee, Jan 3, 2008.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I cant decide between super paper mario or mario galaxy. I saw on the v.c. they have paper mario and I was wondering if super paper mario is a huuuuge upgrade and ill be missing out if I just get the one off v.c. and then get mario galaxy. Any comments would be appreciated!

2. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Get Paper Mario before you play Super Paper Mario.

But they're both great.

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I liked Super Paper Mario, way better. I really can't stand RPG type games, and I'm glad they went back to a more regular like platform type game with this one.

The switching from 2D to 3D is AWESOME :D  :D 

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You can't go wrong with either one, but since you are asking, I would say Mario Galaxy first.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Super Paper Mario is my favorite Wii game said onesock.

BLEHEHEHEHEHEH.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The franchise goes Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario 2, and then Super Paper Mario.
    Super Paper Mario is two console generations removed from Paper Mario 1.

Yes, they're different.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I haven't played the earlier Paper Mario games so I can't comment on that, but I HATED Super Paper Mario. The only RPG elements it retains are the boring ones that I can't stand (long passages of dialog, boring in town segments, and (admittedly optional) collecting hundreds of trinkits like recipes and cards to fill your menus but with minimal reward). That would be acceptable if the platforming were up to standard, but it's not. It's awful and much too easy (and I usually prefer easier games, but this is a pushover). There are other glaring flaws too. You can use four characters, but there's no incentive to play anyone other than Mario except for rare occasions where you need to use one of the other characters' powers for one obstacle. In fact, the game kind of railroads you into using Mario all the time since you have to flip to 3d constantly. The game's most egregious violation though, is the scene where you're taken prisoner and forced to earn your way out by running on a hamster wheel. If you do it at top speed and in one sitting, it's about 10-15 minutes real time. It's one of the dumbest REQUIRED segments of a game I've ever played. You don't have to do it all at once, but you can't exactly leave the level and come back periodically throughout the game. Basically you can hop off and walk around that immediate area of the level for a while, and that's about it.

Mario Galaxy, by comparison, is brilliant and a future classic. It takes a great game and ups the quotient in every way. The comparison gets invoked commonly, but it's true...Galaxy is to Mario 64 what SMB 3 was to the original SMB.

I have heard the earlier Paper Mario games were more geared as RPGs, and if that's true then I personally would be more forgiving of weaker platform elements in them. But when Super Paper Mario is a platformer that doesn't do platforming well, it's easy to recommend to avoid it. Personally I'd get Mario Galaxy and try out one of the earlier Paper Mario games on VC sometime.