Scratch Builds: Panel Lining

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Wikkid, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Panel lines can really add detail to a scratchbuilt project. They're easy to do so long as you're patient and steady. Here's how I do it:

[​IMG]

When working around a project such as ringing the entire nose of this plane, it's best to tape it out first:

[​IMG]

Grab a straight edge and a pick for this project. These little picks come in a package of 4 for around $10 and offers different angles and sizes:

[​IMG]

Tape doesn't make for a very solid backing so use the straight edge to keep your scribe line from wandering. You need only etch the surface and only do the flat, straight areas:

[​IMG]

Here it is with the tape removed. Notice the corner aren't done:

[​IMG]

Now you need a steady hand. Tape each edge individually and connect one line to the other. Carefully etch the connecting lines:

[​IMG]

Remove the tape and sand the areas. Etching will create a raised edge on each side of the panel line that you need to cut down. Use your pick to clean out the channel for final inspection:

[​IMG]

Once you get all your obvious panel lines done and are not sure where to go next, it doesn't hurt to sketch out some ideas:

[​IMG]

Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

. . . . possibly circles?

[​IMG]

Circles it is, but I want them along the lower end of the nose. I start by drawing out a line parallel to the bottom of the nose:

[​IMG]

Laying down a straight edge, I begin mapping out my ports . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . and space them evenly:

[​IMG]

Like so:

[​IMG]

Now grab your drill and a bit in the size you want:

[​IMG]

You don't want to drill through the surface, just allow it to score the surface:

[​IMG]

Panel line all your other panels until you're good and happy with ‘em. That's it:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.