Panel Lining

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tm Tarantulas, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i see pictures of trans4mers after being panel lined and they look great!

what exactly is panel lining?

is it just taking a few fine point sharpie and highlighting the details?

i would really like to know how to do this.

2. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically.

Gundam markers, perhaps?

It takes practice, but it can look great.

EDIT:

Bought these from Hobbylink Japan; never used 'em on a Transformer, though.
    Never used a sharpie either, but that's probably a cheaper option than ordering stuff from Japan. :D 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    An easy way is to use paint and wipe the surface clean, which will leave the paint in the recessed areas. Use a dark shade of the color you are panel lining. I think just using black looks crappy

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    sharpies suck. the fine point ones are still pretty thick, and it's dark purple ink, opposed to black. and it's hard to get an even coat.

order some gundam markers. they're cheap, and they're actual paint instead of just ink. they come in lots of colors. they can be cleaned up with a pencil eraser, or a Q-tip for when they get outside the channel.

or hell, use mechanical pencils. those work great.

gundam markers are available for a couple bucks from stores like gundamstoreandmore.com just make sure you get fine point markers.

I know some people use sharpies and say they're great, but they're not. they absolutely are not. it always looks bad, no matter what the person who did it says. and it always fades to an ugly streaky purple over time. they also discolor/stain the plastic they're used on. I've seen lots of customs with purple discoloration on white plastic around the panel lines. that's from the person trying to clean up the line, and not being able to, because it's a permanent marker and shouldnt be used for that.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Seconded 100%.

The Sharpies fad really needs to die down. They're horrible for touchups and whatnot. I say this from experience.

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I have seen Gundam markers at a local shop (comic/games). Worth checking if you are on the fence about ordering online.

7. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to your local art supply store! I panel lined my Veritechs I started with a Gundam marker and it was OK. So I stopped in my local art supply store and found a 0.3mm marker that made the Gundam marker look like a Crayola marker!

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I agree with the guy that said to use paint. It's much easier, and takes all of about 5 minutes to do to a Legends figure (which is a lot more than i can do with a Marker).

I personally prefer a dark silver, so it's not as in your face, but also not pitch black. Boltgun Metal works for me.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer the thinned paint and capillary action method. Touching the brush to the line will cause the panels to fill with paint, once it drys you can use a little thinner to wipe up any excess.

Color is also important. A white figure will look weird if you use black to panel lint he figure, grey is a more approriate color. Generally you would want a darker version of the base color. Base Color/Panel Line Color White/Grey, Red/Dark Red, Grey/Black, Orange or Yellow/Brown. Yellow and orange are the ones you would want to be the most careful not to use black. Yellow and Black is the strongest contrast to human eyes.

10. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    thanks guys! this helps a ton