Customs: Panel lining a gundam

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I bought this Gundam kit to put together, as they had them on sale for like 5 bucks. I have never had one. Kinda cool, but I wanted to add some panel lining to him like I have seen done before. What is the best type of pen/marker to use?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Gonna leave the answer to someone...probably better suited to answering.

Just curious, which kit'd you get?

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I like to panel line my Gundams with pencil. The grey is more subtle and doesn't look so overwhelming as straight-up black ink.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Who's "they"? I want a 5 dollar Gundam kit :D 

5. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Over here it's pretty popular to use Gundam Markers, they look like your regular fine tip marker pens and no, I'm not in a position to tell the difference.

Depending on the colour of your kit (95% it's white?) you can safely use black/grey for panel lining, it's pretty much your preference.

It's been years since I've worked on one of these... :sly2: 

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I had a Gundam Marker once. It seemed pretty much identical to a micron pigma pen... pretty standard stuff.

And it ran out of ink real fast.

I've used mechanical pencil before too... it works alright.

zmog

7. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I use a Prismacolor .005 Fine Line Marker or a Micron Pigma .005 pen, both are identical and are pretty much the exact size of the panel lines on most kits. I have pretty shaky hands, so I often find myself messing up and sanding away my mistakes. Do you paint your kits? On the newer ones, the colors are usually spot on, but I don't like the glossiness of the plastic, so I usually use some fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off...I like the smooth matte effect alot.

Also, what size/quality kit did you end up with for $5?

8. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Off-topic question but what # grit sandpaper would you use for that without actually harming the plastic?

On-topic: I've used a Staedtler 0.05 pigment liner and a Sakura Pigma Micron 005 before, the Staedtler worked fine but the Sakura one's ink didn't really stick well. I pressed too hard and damaged the Staedlter's tip though...I ordered a Gundam marker (fine tip) to see how it goes.

9. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I use Testor's Hobby Sanding Films. I have these multi-packs that have one sheet each of 150, 280, 320, 400, and 600, but I only really use the 320 and 400. I use the 320 to remove sprue marks and take the gloss off, and then I use the 400 to smooth it all out, and occasionally erase or thin out panel lines. Paint also sticks pretty well after sanding with the 400.

Hope that answers your question.

EDIT: Damn, after all this Gundam talk, I'm really in the mood to work on a model. All I've got, though, is a 1/60th scale vintage import Johnny Ridden's Red Zaku II (MSV No. 21). That monster is so old that it's going to need putty, glue, primer, paint, and more time, patience, and skill than I've got in order to do it justice. It's cast entirely in red and gray in some super-brittle plastic, and the construction is way less straightforward than today's kits, and since it's in japanese that ratchets up the difficulty a few notches. Someday, perhaps.

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    extremely thinned out black paint with a thin brush, touch it to the end of a panel line, and the capillary action will draw it into the line and leave it gray.

However, it's a total pain in the ass.

I use the fine tip black and gray gundam markers. Gray for white and yellow, black for blue and red parts. The black still stands out on the darker stuff, and the gray doesn't look so odd on the light colored parts without that heavy black marker look.

11. Icetron

Yeah that helps, but after you sand it do you paint the model or do you only panel line it? I'll try to see if I can find those grits locally though, thanks. :)  Last time I tried sanding it didn't go so well...so I want to see if your way works for me.

12. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I only paint parts that are cast the wrong colors, and only ever small details. I think the most painting I've ever done was the scabbard and hilt of Red Astray's Sword on the 1/44 Gundam Seed kit. Like I said, I don't have very steady hands, and I know little to nothing about painting. I would however love to learn to airbrush.

I like sanding, at least on the newer kits because it adds a lot of extra time in completing a kit, and I love the finished result. My last kit was 1/44 Strike Rouge from Seed Destiny, and just sanding and panel lines made it look pretty amazing. It needed paint on some details like ducts and the folding knife handles, but those were somple enough.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well.

13. Icetron

Ah okay, my hands aren't that steady either so I'm trying to avoid painting for now (and it's winter right now anyway..) but I'm interested in trying to make the plastic look less glossy. I may pick up a new kit sometime next week to try it out, so thanks for the tips. :D 

14. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    You should post some images or PM me to let me know how it goes, I'm curious to see if it works for you.

15. Icetron

Will do. :) 

16. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Bought it along with a Macross at the Gundam Store: http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/

It is 1/144 Hyrios (?). Yeah, I feel like a 10 year old as it says First Grade, but I figured for the price (5.99). It says the regular price is 6.99, so it may be because of the size and simplicity. I may try one of the bigger kits.

White as can be! Good call ;) 

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If you can't find the Testor's stuff, just pop over to your local hardware store and look for wet & dry finishing paper. Extremely fine grit; I use it for cleaning up surfaces and getting rid of small scratches.

18. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Those aren't really that articulated. You should try some of the HG 1/144s or 1/100s. I've had some of the First Grades and they really aren't too great.

19. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Yeah, he pretty much just stands there. But for 5 bucks as my first kit, thought it was kinda cool. I will look at what you are talking about!
    Jeremy

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Apparently the new First Grade kits... the ones from the new Gundam 00 series actually have a number of poly-caps for jointed articulation, so if you see any of those, you can expect a more posable model.

Also, if you don't feel like shelling out for the HG 1/144 kits, many of the smaller non-graded 1/144 kits from older lines are actually quite nice (they come in boxes around the same size as the First Grade ones).

The kits from Gundam Wing, and especially Gundam X are about par with the current HG line even! Very nice, especially the Gundam Leopard and Airmaster. The 1/144 stuff from Gundam 0080 is mostly pretty decent too. I still see those around at hobby stores every now and again for a reasonable price.

zmog