Minor/Repaint: Panel-lined AniLeader Megatron and others

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ra88, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Was bored yesterday, so I decided to try and panel-line Megatron. Liked the result a lot, so I did a few of my other (non Animated) figures. Scattorshot is alright and Grimlock turned out as a failure, so I decided to try a much thinner marker for Bumblebee and Prime, which worked a lot better. Anyways, was a fun little experiment, it's quick to do, super-easy, improves the look of the figures, and I doubt these will be the last, especially with any future Animated toys I get. :lol 

Edit: Damnit. Images were to large, so here are direct links.
    Megatron: http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=animegspanellinedfe4.jpg
    Bumblebee: http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bumblebeepanellinedyg9.jpg
    Grimlock: http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grimlockpanellinedvl7.jpg
    Optimus Prime: http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=optimuspanellinedun5.jpg
    Scattorshot: http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scattorshotpanellinedma2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    IMO, too thin for Optimus prime but better than you think on grimlock. i think he actually looks good, anyway, better than plain grey.TFA meg, cyb scattorshot and classic BB actually look better. :thumbs2: 

3. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

that cyb scattershot looks so much better paneled and so does BB. however I think because of the grimlock mold to much comes through and it looks slightly messy and with Ani megs there doesn't seem to be much detail to be picked out (I don't have the mold so I'm not to sure on that one lol)

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, made a stupid mistake with Grimlock by using too thick lines...DX That, and some details are warped, oddly enough...Like something went wrong in the molding process...Didn't notice that before.

I didn't want to accentuate Prime too much, since he looks gorgeous as is. And it looks a LOT better in real life then in the pics; it's very thin, but almost perfectly mimics shadows. Very proud of that effect.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think all of them are improvements because want you did is gave them more of a mechanical feel to them almost like their jumping out of those pictures. So great job and keep it up.

6. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

What markers are you using and where did you get them? Best I can find where I am are ultra fine sharpie markers which are not always thin enough. Thanks!

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Micron pen can be found at your local Micheal's at .1 sizes.

I like the others, but that Grimlock looks impressive. Most impressive. :ev: 

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I used two regular markers, with a thickness of 0.3 and 0.5. Then for Megatron, Grimlock and Scattorshot, I used a dual-ended permanent ink marker (brand: Identi.Pen), with a fine and extra fine end. The dual marker sticks in one go (which can be a disaster if you do something wrong, IMMEDIATELY WIPE IT AWAY, it will stick in a few seconds), and with regular markers you'll need to go over the lines multiple times, to make it the thickness you want and to prevent it from being rubbed away the first time you pick it up and hold it.

Hope that helped. :) 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That Henkei Prime is YUM.

Great work on all of em :thumb 

10. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

that leader megs and grimlock rock the house

11. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Nicely done. I especially like the panel lines on Megatron.

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

THOSE ARE FANTASTIC

13. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

If I can offer constructive criticism here...

I REALLY like the thin lines, like on Bbee, Prime and Megs...panel lines and simple washes do a lot to bring out the beautiful sculptural elements we don't notice very often on these single-color-molded parts.

But I agree that the lines on Scattorshot and Grimlock look far too thick. Although it makes Scattorshot look VERY much like his CG animated counterpart.

Another fun candidate for Panel Lines? Try any of the Classics/Henkei Seekers. Here's two pics of my Starscream, after I gave him a panel line wash.
    1 2

But the most important thing is that YOU'RE happy with the results. Keep up the good work! :D 

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Oooh, that looks very good. :D  But sadly, I don't have any of the Classics Seekers. Probably mostly because I'm a scale addict. :lol  MP Seekers for the win, even if I only have Greenscream. :lol :