Customs: Paints question- removing enamel paints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay guys, time for a kitbashing question.

I've got an Energon Towline here that I foolishly tried to paint up as Ratchet a few years back. This would've been okay, but I used shitty enamel paints and the thing's ruined.

I wanna try and take all these paints off, is there a way to do that? I don't mind losing the original paints so much, but if there's a way to hold onto the original layer of paints while getting rid of this enamel muck, I'd love to hear it!

NB:- I can't take a picture of the mess until tomorrow, but I wanna start getting ideas right now.

Thanks!

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    maybe you could use paint thinner? btw i use TESTORS ENAMEL paints and they are great!

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe...what's the base for paint thinner?

Oh I have no doubt that enamels are great paints, it's just that I was a foolish kid at this point and way too eager.

I found some old modelling enamels in the garage and thought "I'll make this guy Ratchet as he appears in Cybertron and Energon!" and thus, without cleaning the parts, disassembling them completely, or indeed priming them for painting, I started painting white and great on to the figure.

Sure, the arms are okay, but really otherwise it's an awful job.

I plan to strip it down and, if the original paint is lost in the process, go about making him into Skids properly (or more likely comissioning someone to do it for me).

4. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    well im not sure what the base for paint thinner is or how it might affect the plastic structure, and ive actually never used primer either, maybe its just in the number of coats you put on or didnt stirr it good enough, or it coudve just been to old. im not an expert scince ive only been doing this for a year but I hope this helps.

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I appreciate the help mate :D 

I reckon the enamels I used were way too old, but I didn't care back then.

Shame really, cos this mold is perfect for the universe line :( 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd also recommend using paint thinner for the removal, but just steer clear of the windows with it. As for preserving any of the paint, I don't see a viable option, though. I'd think if you're just wanting the toy in it's original state, you'd be better off rebuying it. I think you'd come out ahead in the long run. You could save the mold for a future bash (or pass it along to someone who wants to do the same).

7. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right, thanks guys. Paint thinner it is! I assume steering clear is because of the thinner making the clear plastic brittle? Or perhaps staining it?

Nah I'm gonna get this one cleaned up the base plastic colours, and then see about getting it repainted in a more G1 scheme. Towline was a great mold, but the lack of colouring really let it down.