Customs: Paints and Clear Coats

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hotwire, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I'm trying to clarify some things with paints.

On the Ironhide I custom painted I used POLLY Scale acrylics. These paints came in little glass jars, just like most model paints. They worked fine, though the seemed to be a bit thin. I then sprayed him with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Satin. He came out just fine.

Well, I then decided to repaint Breakaway. A poster on another forum said he's been customizing for years and uses the Folk Art paints from Wal-Mart. So, I picked up some very cool acrylic metallic paints. Painted him a beatuiful metallic blue. However, when I sprayed him with the Krylon (gloss this time), the blue paint began to thin out. In fact, his camo design started to show through!

Now, my questions are simple. Where did I go wrong? Should I have used a different clear coat? Can I repaint the blue? Should I toss the Folk Art paints and buy new ones?

I want to find out before I start on Mudflap, since I am planning on a radically different paint scheme for him.

I hope someone can help.

2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    The only paint I would use from walmart is krylon, if I even used that. I use tamiya acrylics, thinned with tamiya thinner and future added for a nice shiny and durable paint job.

3. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Future??

4. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Future Floor Polish

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I take it I can get this pretty much anywhere?
    Also, what ratios do you use?
    x-parts paint
    x-parts thinner
    x-parts future

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You can purchase it at Wal-Mart (since you're already hitting it up for those other paints). Here's a helpful link/tutorial that REDLINE posted in the tutorial section:

All You Wanted To Know About Future Finish

As for those FolkArt paints, I've used some with success and others not so much. Some of them claim to be self-sealing, but they'll still chip if things aren't sanded and primed a bit. The paints are cool and they have some vibrant colors that work well on some customs I've done, but I tend to stick to Testors, Tamiya, and Krylon on most stuff. Good luck and I hope you find what you're after, man.

7. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Tamiya for plastics @ most hobby stores. I have a hobbytown in Jax that I go to
    Pledge with future @ target. Make sure you don't get just pledge, it will actually say with future and have the old logo on it
    Tamiya thinner @ same as above, hobbytown

Tamiya 10ml bottles I use 3 testors pipette droppers of thinner and 1 drop of future per bottle. That makes a 23ml bottle size, but keep in mind I use this through an airbrush.

Tamiya paints are a little thick out of the bottle and even for brushing I think they need to be thinned but I would only use 1x tamiya acrylic 10ml bottle, 1x testors thinner pipette and 1x testors future pipette

Hope this helps..

Testors » Accessories » Other » 5 Empty Bottles and 3 Pipettes

Tamiya America - Tamiya Color Mini Acrylic

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

One thing that might help in finding the Future Floor Polish. Last time I got some it was labeled as "Pledge with Future shine". That was at Walmart.

[edit] Wingsbr beat me to it. That'll teach me to read better. lol.

9. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    ninja'd ;) 

[​IMG]

10. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Forgot to mention, you can use Future Floor Finish (now called "Pledge with Future Shine") to clear coat the Folk Art paint (as well as pretty much any others). I've used it in the past over these craft paints and they worked well. You can always test it on a small piece to see for yourself. Some of the colors you can get are very pigmented and can work great on various customs--but yes, this paint NEEDS to be sealed.