Minor/Repaint: Painting with SQ7!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey gang, SQ7 here with a bit of an oddity for me. While for the most part this thread will feel very much like a "wip" style thread, it's going to be a bit different:

First of all, I'm not going to disclose the end result of this bash. It's one of my planned bashes, and it's been on the list for quite some time. I will go ahead and say right off that it's not going to be a Ratchet. I don't think that the Scion xB is a good choice for Ratchet, despite the many Ratchet customs that have been made using this mold.

To some, this thread may seem like a tutorial of sorts. While it may certainly be helpful to some (and I really hope it will be!), such is not the aim either. This thread's central focus is painting and a few other processes that I'll detail as well. That being the case, there are some things that I'm doing with this piece that aren't really normative of my typical process of making a custom. If for nothing else, I'm working on the kitchen table here. You'll notice that the tablecloth is blue, and this is a holdover from the b-day party my wife had for me :) )). I figured I didn't want to waste it, so the next thing she knows the kitchen table has been taken over with my customs! Normally, I'll work at my customs table where all of my tools and such are. What I have done with this thread and project is use a few different processes that I don't normally do, and discuss those in conjunction with some processes that are very typical of my work.

This thread is a result of a few conversations I had with REDLINE while working on this. I had the idea of a sort of "blog" style thread, much akin to something like watching Bob Ross' show (I know some of you guys may not remember him, but I'm going out on a limb thinking that most of you do :) ). REDLINE suggested that I should photograph my whole process, which is very atypical of how I normally do things in Radicons. Truth be told, I'm really just not a huge fan of "wip" threads. They can be fun, sure, but they tend to go on forever and I've always found it a bit difficult to post multiple times in one.

All that being said, just think of this thread as me and you hanging out while I simply discuss working on this project from start to a finishing point (note: not the finishing point; that'll come later :thumb ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ok, for starters, one way this project is way different than something I normally work on is that from the very beginning there has already been work done on this. I've had a thread long-running for people who had junked out Alternators to donate; this is one such donor bot. I already disclosed that this won't be Ratchet, but the original intent was for this to be Ratchet. Please forgive me, as I can't remember who I got this from because I don't. I'm not even sure if the person I got it from was the artist. What I do know is that "Ratchet" here is in pretty poor shape.

Now, one of the things that really got me into customs was repairing bots. When I got this guy originally, I saw that he'd need quite a bit of work. You can see this from the photos I've provided. I suppose that the original artist was wanting a custom in 15 minutes. It appears that he took the Skids and a can of white spray paint and just went to town. Normally, that's mostly a good thing . . . with prep work!

While some artists may not disassemble their bots at all or disassemble them very little, one thing I always try to do is disassemble a toy quite a bit. This allows me to cover all of the pieces well, and it allows me to remove some pieces that don't need paint at all without masking. As you can see from the photos, there were several parts that either required masking or simply taken apart and put off to the side.

Another thing to note is that, while there is a good coat of paint on the figure (which is why I didn't just toss it), there is a lot of places where the paint simply isn't painted well. It's clumped up on the hood quite noticeably as well as other areas. Wet-sanding (as you'll see) and nice, even coats will prevent this from happening!

So, I've discussed disassembling a toy for painting, and you can see I did just that. One thing that is very typical of my work is that I use "project bins" that I've made out of Chinese take-out containers. These have really made excellent containers for keeping all of my parts together in a very compact space. I also use plastic bags quite a bit, generally for those parts that won't even be touched by paint.

One of my first steps goes back to the pieces that shouldn't have had paint on them to begin with. What I did was disassemble the whole toy, and separate the parts out. The parts I intend to paint, I placed in the project bin, the parts that I don't need to touch with paint were placed in a plastic bag, and the parts that need paint removed are placed in another container filled with 90% alcohol. I let these parts soak for quite a while before I even touched 'em. The main objective here is to let the alcohol do it's thing, but I don't want to leave them in there too long for the parts to suffer any damage.

While I'm doing this, I'm already thinking to myself that a few of these parts may be either beyond saving, or simply not worth the time and work it would take to save them. They may come in handy down the road, though, and I'll rarely toss a part simply for this reason. Fortunately, I do have a lot of spare parts to several Alts for such an occasion :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. olddirtyogre

olddirtyogre Well-Known Member

Cool idea, it should be interesting to see how this "blog" progresses. Still stumped on who you might be creating, but I'm sure that further down the road it will become more apparent.

4. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Very interesting. Question, or a problem I've run into more than once: What do you do, whilst disassembling, when a screw is too tight and it won't come out? I have no choice but to leave it in and have sloppy painting in that area.

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

bookmarked for future reference. :D 

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I hope that you'll continue to read even with me being forthcoming to say that you'll not find out in this thread the identity of the robot (at least intentionally). Like I said earlier, this is essentially just me hanging out with whoever wants while I discuss various things that I'm doing with this project :) 

With screws, I really haven't ran into that problem. I have ran into that problem with either bolts or pins. When that happens, I simply mask over them and move on. With the parts that I mentioned that I simply end up replacing, you have to do a cost/benefit analysis. "Is this worth my time/effort, or can I do it another way that's more efficent?"

Awesome :)  I hope you stay tuned :) 

7. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I have a tutorial on this... somewhere ┬┤round here.

8. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Neat. Look forward to following along - is the 90% iso safe for the clear plastic on Alts? I know a lot of people had it trash their Universe figs. Heck, I had one of the front fenders on a U. Prowl snap after being soaked in 70%. Ugh!

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I hope it's Rest-Q.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I've used both, actually. The trick for me with the 90% alcohol is to use Q-tips as the utensil for applying the alcohol and rubbing the paint off. There will be a slight fog on the transparent part, but you can rub it off.

While a custom needs to be made of that guy, this one won't be him. It won't be any kind of ambulance.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Will it be one of the more obscure TF characters in Alternator form?

12. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey there SQ, just dropping by...can I eat these chips? Thanks.

One thing I've always had trouble with is fixing/cleaning a bad paint choice or application. Any suggestions?

I spray painted Animated Prime and for some reason the spray paint beaded in some areas, but stuck like glue on other parts of the same parts. It was red Krylon Fusion and I'm chalking it up to bad prep work. The result was a lot of work just to get back to square one.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    tee hee heee. Glad you're going through with this!

14. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll love to follow this whole thread from the beginning to the end.

Speaking of parts that are hard to dismantle, or areas where the paint rub is too much for paint to survive, I'll just shrug and treat them as 'dead spaces', and try to assign more details elsewhere to take away focus from the unpainted areas. TFA Starscream's cockpit and TFTM Camshaft's legs come to mind, since I happen to be working on both now. All balljoints too. I now always make a conscious effort to find figures with black balljoints. Makes things alot easier.

15. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Could it be Blaster? Or dare i say... Soundwave?

16. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    When I read the topic, I expected big fluffy clouds.....

I don't see any big fluffy clouds Bob.

Nope, no big fluffy clouds at all.

:lolol 

Looking forward to the rest of the tutorial!

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It's white! :p 

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    *shakes 8 ball*

"All signs point to 'YES'."

Yes, you can eat chips with me :) 

Jokes aside for a moment (and only a moment!), I've been wanting to do this style of thread for a while now. To add to the "blog" style thread, several things have been keeping me from it, namely the work we've been doing with the Fan Art Gallery. I sat down to post this thread several times, only to remember I had other Radicons chores to do! Not that we're easing up our work by any means, but at least now I can sit back a little bit and "hang out" more :) 

As for suggestions regarding fixing paint, just stay tuned as that's part of this project :) 

I'm really glad you encouraged me to do this, bud. I'm really having the most fun with this thread, so far, despite how long I've wanted to work on this project!

I hope you stay tuned! :) 

As far as areas such as these, this would simply be a point to where you and I would differ. I really like all areas that I know will be seen even to some capacity to be covered. Now, areas like the insides of legs that will never see the light of day once a toy is reassembled is a different story though.

I feel ya on the black ball joints. Things like that, I always look for an existing shortcut to save myself work and frustration in the end. Things like the insides of the wheel wells where I can take a rim off, though, are things I want completely covered.

Takara gave us a BT Blaster. I can say that it's not Soundwave though.

Well, folks, my insanity has rubbed off. Look no further for proof than the above post. [For those of you who don't know, Dormamu and I live reasonably close so we hang out some. Poor guy.]

Hehe, this is true, but one could also assume that I'd be using the white only as a base coat to top coat it with another color. :D 

19. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

can i guess? is it the A-Team Van?

20. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    lookin good so far!