Customs: Painting with enamel vs acrylic for main color/stripping off enamels?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PorkChopKB, Jan 30, 2010.

1. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I have been using tamiya acrylics for the base color on the customs that I have done with little problems. Mainly some paint rubbing off the joints when moving them to paint other areas. I decided to try and use enamel for this step and an not happy with the results so far. the paint seems to be chipping off the joints when moving them and it is sticking the joints to a point where the paint cracks away when trying to move them after a drying period of a day or so.

I used krylon fusion as the primer with smooth coats, not over done. I airbrushed on the enamel and it seemed to go on smooth but took a few coats to get the job done. do I have too much paint applied? as I said before I usually use acrylic for this and then use enamels for all of the detail work.

I am debating on stripping off the enamels and re doing it with acrylics. how would I go about doing this, what products to use? thanks alot.

Ken

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Well, I can't really help you with your paint type dilemma, but I can with the removing the enamels part.

It's very simple. Get some rubber kitchen gloves and oven cleaner. And a big plastic ziploc bag. Put on the gloves and spray the parts you want to strip with the oven cleaner and then seal them in the bag overnight. Using a toothbrush, you should be able to scrub the paint off VERY easily.

3. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    I have never heard of that.. I might have to try that. thank you

anyone else?

4. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    anyone else?

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will just offer that cake is far superior to pie. That is all. :p 

Just kidding. The thinner we talked about is nice. A bit pricey, but very good.
    I have also used alchohol when I jacked up a figure (91%, available at drug stores)
    I say practice a few methods on a couple different scrap figs and see what you can come up with.
    Good luck man. Hope it works out.
    If not you can just send it to me. I'll give him a good home. :D 

6. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    :lol 

I bet you will! thanks for the help, much appreciated as always

7. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Sandpaper, the wifes emery boards small files anything that can be used to take the plastic in the joints down far enough to make clearance for a coat of primer a couple coats of paint and sealer. As far as removing enamel try soaking in alcohol (pbr) lol!

8. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    that didn't work out well at all.. I recommend against it.

I sprayed it down and put it into a ziplock and let it sit overnight. the next morning I went to take it out of the bag to clean and it had fallen apart. classics starscream. head fell off, wings etc. I do not recommend this to anyone. I sprayed them at 9pm and it was about 7am when I tried to clean them.

9. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Did you make sure the oven cleaner was plastic safe? It usually says that somewhere on the can.

I've done this with several parts, myself. I stripped the paint off a Blast Punch Optimus Primal and had no ill effects whatsoever. And it was mostly clear plastic which is notoriously more fragile and prone to "melting" than normal opaque plastic.

I guess I should've made it clear in my original post that the cleaner has to be plastic safe. I thought it'd go without saying, but I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry about that. That's really my fault.

There's other ways to strip the paint..paint thinner. Castrol Super Clean. But every way is risky. Each chemical can affect plastic differently so it's good to test stuff beforehand.

10. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    it isnt your fault, I should of looked. I used easy off brand cleaner which I seen that a guy used and worked for him. He had a video on youtube for it.