Customs: Painting Techniques

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ne0, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Ne0

Ne0 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone knows how this Transformers Animated Starscream was painted. I know they used an airbrush, but the shading is just unreal. i doesn't look like anything I have seen before.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can view the rest of the pics at:
    http://crefigz.blogspot.com/

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is very a very nice paint job. From the looks of it he just panel lined and did some washes and highlighting, besides the fact that it is super clean. Plan on the same thing, but I am going to reverse the wings.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't know that it was necessarily done with an airbrush, you can get effects like that with washes and such like Tony said.

That looks great in those colors though, wow. I am gonna have to grab a few of these bastards when I see em...

4. Ne0

Ne0 Well-Known Member

But look at the shading in the forearm, it looks too smooth to be done by a brush

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I disagree. while the base blue might've been sprayed, I'd say he drybrushed the lighter color on after doing the wash to fill the panel lines.

6. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

It could me any of those, wash, dry brush or air brush, depends on the skill level of the person.

If I had to guess I'd say airbrush due to the thigh and forearms, very smooth dispersal of paint and that is very hard with dry brush or wash.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

It does look like a well layered dry brush, with a panel line done. I have a few of those Millenium Micron pens, that are as thin as .01, that would pull it off. Looks really sharp to.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, you wouldn't necessarily even need to panel line; just make sure your brush is dry enough that it doesn't hit the crevices.
    And I disagree it that it's too smooth to be brush work. I don't know what this was done with, but it's totally possible to get incredibly smooth blending by brush. It just takes a lot of time and patience.

Have a look at this article, which shows a very handy technique for it.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I haven't taken that step into airbrushing yet. It's still out of my Price range. But I have to disagree, bro. That's a panel line or a wash for sure. Even if he didn't hit the crevives, they were outlined with a darker color. It's super sharp.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, I don't airbrush either. You're right, it's a lot of expense to go to, and the only times I've tried it, I've been too impatient as I was spending most of my time making masks and not enough time actually painting. :p 

And I'm not for an instant saying it's not panel lined, just that it's not necessarily the case. I have a feeling it was most likely a wash, myself, but that is just a hunch.

11. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well i think we are going to see alot of good pieces from this line there is just to much appeal because of the almost organic feel of them. i am going to try and replicate some of the shading tech used on this figure. if i am successfull i will share how i did it. i am not going to debate wiether it is airbrush or dribrush because really it can be done either way. depeding on the paint you are using and how you mix it. i will say this though to get the second shade is abvioce you take the base color and and a drop or two of a lighter color