Customs: painting rubberized parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PorkChopKB, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I was wondering what type and method you use to paint rubberized pieces such as ravages spine spikes? scalpel's antennae?

also does anyone have a tricks to removing pins so I can take them apart for painting? thanks in advance.

Ken

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    personally i remove pins the old fashioned way: with a small screwdriver, a hammer and a pair of pliers. i really wouldnt recommend it for small pins(or at all). it can damage the plastic if you hit it to hard.im only doing that cause i have no acces to the items the others use. dont try this at home unless youre willing to damage plastic.wow thats alot of words 0_o...

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There is information about pin removal in the tutorial section.

As for the rubber parts, those should be painted with acrylic paint, if you try to pain those with enamel, they will never dry.

4. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Laquers also work on rubbery stuff.

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Timely topic, in a way.

I was priming some parts with Krylon Fusion, and hit a rubberized joint (damn thing was hiding). Does anyone know of a fix that won't destroy the rubber part? I want to try to remove the primer, and I know acetone would melt the plastic.

6. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I used these paints (not exact colors).
    Google Image Result for http://www.heavyarmourstudio.com/images/tamiya_acrylic_paint.jpg

I primed the figure which left it like a dusty gray color. I airbrushed flat black acrylic and let it dry for 24hrs before adding a second coat. I only sprayed very thin coats almost to the point it wasn't wet at all.. just got darker each coat. when I went to dry brush, the acrylic was coming off the rubberized spikes on ravage like it was peeling. I could take my fingernail and scrape it right off. I washed the figure with warm water and soap with a old power toothbrush. took compressed air to dry it and waited a day.

so I am at a loss. I learned the hard way just now with enamel. I just had to dip it in solvent to remove it. I did that a few days ago and it never dried.
    would polycarbonate paint work? it is what I used on my R/C car bodies.

sorry for the long post.. I just want to get it right.

btw.. when I go to put the final coat on of this Testors Paint Lacquer Dullcote - 1160 ^ - eHobbies

do I just airbrush it on like a regular coat of paint?

thanks in advance,

Ken