Customs: Painting Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by rodimus62609, Dec 11, 2011.

1. rodimus62609

rodimus62609 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just finished painting two deluxe DOTM Starscreams into Skywarp and Thundercracker. I had to use Folkart Acrylic paint from Walmart as that is the only store close to me that sold paint. My problem is I don't want the paint to chip off. Is there a sealer or protectant I can buy? Would spraying a layer of clear coat protect them?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hahaha, you sound like me. :) 

First off, you should really check the tutorial threads. Here's a link to them for you. They can answer a lot of basic questions (including this one).

Secondly, Folkart paint is not good for this purpose. It's not intended to be used for model painting, it's a craft paint. I know this because that's what I used on a number of repaintings. Get some Tamiya paint, but you will likely have to find a hobby store near you that sells them.

Thirdly, and to answer your question directly, find some Pledge Floor Care Finish with Future Shine (most commonly called Future on the boards it seems). This stuff has been described as duct tape for customizers. It can seal your figures, tighten loose joints, allow you to paint clear parts like windshields and keep the opacity, and I hear it makes a great cup-o-joe. (Note, do not ingest this stuff, that was a joke.)

In my experience you can never get away from paint rubbing off in places (much to my chagrin) but Future will protect it as best it can.

3. rodimus62609

News Credits:
    Hey thanks for the advice friend! I knew Folkart might not have been the nest idea, but it doesn't look to bad on them. Ill look into Tamiya paints next time I visit a hobby store. Ill definitely be getting some Future :) 

4. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Future is good, but you should also try the Tamiya clear coats, or if your using airbrush get the Model Master Acrylic Gloss Coat, it looks like its a white primer but its clear coat for airbrush, it will give you a factory look paint job. :thumb 

5. rodimus62609

News Credits:
    Never used an airbrush before, but I've been curious to try! Ill look into those too thanks! These two were my first experience painting a figure with a brush, so I hope it comes out well!

6. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    well, if your using brush, I would suggest the Tamiya clear coat, its pretty smooth even on brush, just have to firm when applying. Give it some love lol